Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Nikon d3 va Nikon d600 ( yes I know weird comparison )

photofyffer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon d3 va Nikon d600 ( yes I know weird comparison )

I can buy either body locally for 900 can. The d600 is newer twice mp. 45000 shutter count. Then d3 faster built better. I have big hands I do like pro bodies. Own two canon and one Nikon pro body in the past. The d3 has 145000k shutter count two batteries. I want to shoot family photos, portraits and weddings again one day. What would u do.

Nov 09, 2017 at 05:17 AM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon d3 va Nikon d600 ( yes I know weird comparison )

What's your budget?.. I'd seriously consider saving for a used D750...

I LOVED my D3... but that's getting seriously long in the tooth. D3s maybe, D3 I'd pass. The D600 is an entry level cam with an awesome sensor. Again, if you can swing a D750 or D800E I'd go that route... or go D600 if you must!

photofyffer wrote:
I can buy either body locally for 900 can. The d600 is newer twice mp. 45000 shutter count. Then d3 faster built better. I have big hands I do like pro bodies. Own two canon and one Nikon pro body in the past. The d3 has 145000k shutter count two batteries. I want to shoot family photos, portraits and weddings again one day. What would u do.

Nov 09, 2017 at 05:28 AM
Paul_K
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon d3 va Nikon d600 ( yes I know weird comparison )

Despite having 'upgraded' to D800's and a DF, I still have my 2008 (shortly after its introduction) bought D3
Keep it as my back up 'in case I need a high FPS pro built' body (in the past I used my D3's extensively for shooting pro level surf like the Quicksilver Pro)

AF and high ISO wise it's about the same as a D800 (be it that the D3 AF is snappier), of course it has a higher fps, better weather proofing
But the 12 MP are a bit limiting in case you need room for cropping afterwards (I moved from surf to to shooting fashion, where I more then often needed the extra pixels, reason why I got a couple of D800's)

The D600 most obvious differences with the D3 are more megapixels, and the pop up flash (nice to have in case you use Nikon CLS ), as well as video, and a 'sensor cleaner'
Reportedly basically has about the same high ISO/low light IQ performance, and weather proofing as the D800

It does come in a smaller and lighter package though, with much less of a 'look at me' presence of a D3 size body
IMO a thing to keep in mind when you just want a camera to discretely bring along on a family shoot, rather then a brick of a camera the weight and seize of which will drag around your neck or shoulder all day.

AF wise it's at a disadvantage, 39 slower (my DF basically has the same AF module so I know from 1st hand experience) AF points vs the D3's AF wise more pro level 51
And as the AF module basically comes from a DX body, consequently smaller coverage of the image field

That said, one of the first things I did as a 'real world' try out when I got my DF, was to shoot a shopping mall catwalk show.
I did so in particular, as I knew in advance lighting would be less then optimal (basically a low level light mix from sky light windows and store window lights), and the subjects (fast) moving models.
Didn't do anything special as far as AF settings was concerned (AF-C with one manually selected AF point as a starting point, Dynamic AF with 39 points)

However was pleased to find that the AF handled 'the low light/contrast + fast moving subjects situation' without any major problems
I mention this as it's a pretty fair indication on if and how it could handle when shooting a wedding

Biggest 'negative' is/was the issue with the oil splatters on the sensor, the reason why Nikon only after just one year replaced it with the apart from the 'no splatter sensor' virtually identical D610
As Nikon has offered a 'repair' for the D600, the 'splatter' issue is no longer a 'real world' issue, but it has meant a dent in the D600's reputation and consequently 2nd hand resale value (although I don't get the impression you plan selling it the near future soon )

The D750 is admittedly AF, IQ and high ISO wise a better camera, but 2nd hand still costs about twice a D600

So despite of being a very satisfied long time D3 user, given what you would intend to use the camera for (family, portrait and the occasional wedding) I would go for the D600

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:04 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon d3 va Nikon d600 ( yes I know weird comparison )

I have both. For what you're shooting....the D600

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:24 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon d3 va Nikon d600 ( yes I know weird comparison )

You might also want to hunt the buy-sell board here. For $900, you might be able to find the updated D610 or D800. The D800 has a better AF system and beautiful image quality. My wife pairs her D610 w/ a D500 and it is a great landscape camera where dynamic range and low noise is more important than overall AF speed.

I briefly owned the D3 and like the Blakefreeman said, the D3s still maintains an allure because of its low noise at high ISO's... whereas, you might as well save some money and buy a really clean D700 if you are considering a D3.

bruce

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:41 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon d3 va Nikon d600 ( yes I know weird comparison )

I wouldn't pay $900 for a D600. $700 is more the market value.

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:13 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon d3 va Nikon d600 ( yes I know weird comparison )

photofyffer wrote:

To shoot weddings or any other paid work, you must have TWO bodies. Eventually an older camera is going to break down. What are you going to do if your only camera breaks down at the start of a wedding? Or when you have a family meet you to take photos somewhere? You have to have two. For sports or wildlife, the D3 is a no-brainer. For what you want to do the D600 is the better choice. And since they are cheaper you can buy two of them. And I agree 150% that for $900 I'd much rather have a D800 for weddings. Very deep into no-brainer territory here. It's far more important to have TWO cameras than just one good one for paid work. I can't emphasize the value of a back up enough. I'd rather have two D7100 than just one D800 if doing a wedding.

Kent in SD

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:20 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon d3 va Nikon d600 ( yes I know weird comparison )

BSPhotog wrote:
I wouldn't pay $900 for a D600. $700 is more the market value.

900 Canadian is almost exactly 700 US.

Nov 09, 2017 at 02:51 PM
photofyffer
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon d3 va Nikon d600 ( yes I know weird comparison )

With exchange 700 us plus shipping will be 900 I like to save longer for a d750 but be a few more months.

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:12 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon d3 va Nikon d600 ( yes I know weird comparison )

Vcook wrote:
900 Canadian is almost exactly 700 US.

Ha, I was viewing on my phone, doesn't show location on the side.

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon d3 va Nikon d600 ( yes I know weird comparison )

The D3 was introduced in 2007 and 10 years is a very long time with electronic technology. The D610 is what I would be looking to buy as the cost difference with the D600 is trivial in the overall cost of your system.

The D6xx cameras have more sensitive AF sensors and a sensor with 50% more resolution and uses modern SD cards instead of CF cards which have been abandoned by all leading camera manufacturers (finally).

The D6xx cameras also have the internal camera flash which is useful in many situations and can be used to wirelessly trigger a remote Nikon flash. Great feature to have and with the D3 you have the more expensive batteries, the dead ended CF cards, and the cost of flash.

If you add up all the costs associated with the D3 and D6xx cameras the D3 is a much more expensive purchase. The best current replacement for the D3 in a used camera is the D750.

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:11 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon d3 va Nikon d600 ( yes I know weird comparison )

I've seen very clean D800s going for $900 USD... only $200 more. I couldn't fathom not splurging an extra $200.

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:44 PM
photofyffer
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon d3 va Nikon d600 ( yes I know weird comparison )

Not a fan of the d800. Files are to large for me. D610 prob where I will land.

Nov 10, 2017 at 01:08 AM
Mataz426
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon d3 va Nikon d600 ( yes I know weird comparison )

I just bought a D3 this year and I love it. The ONLY negative at best is the 12MP. I would take it over the 610 all day. What you can do with it is more important than anything.

Nov 10, 2017 at 01:24 AM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon d3 va Nikon d600 ( yes I know weird comparison )

With 8k monitors on the horizon (8k monitor is nearly 36mpix) I don't understand the "too large for me" view... i understood more when we were at 36mpix in 2012. But that's just me! The D610 would get my vote unless you find a D750 on the cheap. Cheers

Nov 10, 2017 at 01:48 AM
90 5.0
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon d3 va Nikon d600 ( yes I know weird comparison )

If you hunt you can find a D3s in your price range. I almost traded my d3 in on one the other day

Nov 10, 2017 at 05:15 PM
mrgetalife
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon d3 va Nikon d600 ( yes I know weird comparison )

The D3's a lot more forgiving on the autofocus. I'm just hesitant of the D6/10 because you have to be on top of it.

The 850's caused a large selloff of the 750's more so then the 800's because of the speed increase. So maybe you'll get lucky?

Nov 10, 2017 at 09:32 PM
IronFilm

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon d3 va Nikon d600 ( yes I know weird comparison )

photofyffer wrote:
I want to shoot family photos, portraits and weddings again one day. What would u do.

None of those scream out "NEED a Nikon D3", so I'd be inclined to go with the newer D600 instead. (or heck, even a D7100, and put a few more $$$ into lenses & lights instead!)

Also, like another commentator said, if you can stretch your budget to a Nikon D750 then that would be well worth it.

I really reckon it is the kick ass bargain full frame camera in the entry to mid range level. (both for not just stills, but video too)

Nov 14, 2017 at 02:50 AM
IronFilm

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon d3 va Nikon d600 ( yes I know weird comparison )

Two23 wrote:
To shoot weddings or any other paid work, you must have TWO bodies.

Agreed, any kind of professional should always have two bodies (probably even 3 or more).

At the bare minimum of minimums, get yourself at least a secondhand Nikon D5200/D7000 on the side to get yourself out of a pinch.

Plus when in a fast paced environment (such as a wedding) then it can be handy to have say a D750 with a 24-70mm f2.8 but a D5200 with a 70-200mm f4 for those moments when you need that extra reach but don't have time to swap lenses

Nov 14, 2017 at 02:53 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password