Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

  

Article On Fall Color Photography
  
 
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Article On Fall Color Photography


It might be a bit late for most of you, but there is an article ("Photo Tips and Favorite Gear for Successful Fall Foliage Pictures") on fall color photography at the B&H website — featuring contributions from Brian Carnathan, Moose Peterson, Dan Bailey, Matt Payne, Chad DiBlasio, and some guy named G Dan Mitchell. ;-)

Enjoy!

Dan








Edited on Nov 11, 2017 at 03:09 PM · View previous versions



Nov 09, 2017 at 04:50 AM
Fred Amico
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Article On Fall Color Photography


Well, I've heard of the rest of them, but who is this G.Dan guy you speak of?

Thanks for the heads up, Dan.



Nov 09, 2017 at 05:05 AM
Ischgl99
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Article On Fall Color Photography


Thanks for the article Dan, that was good reading.


Nov 09, 2017 at 01:38 PM
dgdg
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Article On Fall Color Photography


Great job Dan.
Fine image.
You always give great advice.

David



Nov 09, 2017 at 10:29 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Article On Fall Color Photography




Fred Amico wrote:
Well, I've heard of the rest of them, but who is this G.Dan guy you speak of?


I’ll never tell. ;-)



Nov 09, 2017 at 11:55 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



GroovyGeek
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Article On Fall Color Photography


Late? Nah, not in SoCal :-). As of last week Moffat Ranch was still not at peak. This weekend's cold spell may change things fast




Nov 19, 2017 at 08:23 AM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Article On Fall Color Photography


GroovyGeek wrote:
Late? Nah, not in SoCal :-). As of last week Moffat Ranch was still not at peak. This weekend's cold spell may change things fast

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/6pAe7jOF1KqgNB26QTyBcTGeR-ZzliXuCnAPGfvZw2tAv6gu_U6tZG9_Ft4QwBfnAPOVe7UCHo8=s1200


That's a good point.

I often tell people that in California alone I can photograph fall color of some sort for about three months, sometimes a bit longer. I can usually find early hints of fall in the high Sierra in early September. (In the recent drought years it was even earlier.) Aspen color gets good by the first week of October, then continues past the middle of the month. Lower elevation color in and around the Sierra kicks in soon after that, and Yosemite Valley (and other mid-level western Sierra areas) turn by the end of the month and on into November. In some lowland areas the colors don't really change until November, and it is still possible to find color in December.

Dan



Nov 20, 2017 at 03:45 PM
GroovyGeek
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Article On Fall Color Photography


gdanmitchell wrote:
I often tell people that in California alone I can photograph fall color of some sort for about three months, sometimes a bit longer. I can usually find early hints of fall in the high Sierra in early September. (In the recent drought years it was even earlier.) Aspen color gets good by the first week of October, then continues past the middle of the month. Lower elevation color in and around the Sierra kicks in soon after that, and Yosemite Valley (and other mid-level western Sierra areas) turn by the end of the month and on into November. In
...Show more

A quick question - when do aspens growing at 11,000 ft turn? Is there another area in the Sierra that can be used as a proxy to make a guess when aspens at this high elevation may be peaking? A few weeks ago I discovered a nice location in the White Mountains, at around 11,000 ft, where Aspens grow above the treeline. Went there looking for Bristlecones and found aspens instead :-) When the aspens turn it will be a nice image, but it is a fairly hairy hike that I would rather not do multiple weeks in a row to hunt for peak color.



Nov 20, 2017 at 08:39 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Article On Fall Color Photography


GroovyGeek wrote:
A quick question - when do aspens growing at 11,000 ft turn? Is there another area in the Sierra that can be used as a proxy to make a guess when aspens at this high elevation may be peaking? A few weeks ago I discovered a nice location in the White Mountains, at around 11,000 ft, where Aspens grow above the treeline. Went there looking for Bristlecones and found aspens instead :-) When the aspens turn it will be a nice image, but it is a fairly hairy hike that I would rather not do multiple weeks in a row
...Show more

There are a lot of variations, and I'm still discovering new ones, especially once you get east of the Sierra in areas like the Whites and beyond. (This fall I went all the way out to Great Basin NP near the end of September, thinking it would be on the earlier Utah schedule, but it was still a bit early there.)

In my experience, the trees that turn earliest in the Sierra are generally the small, high elevation trees and sometimes trees growing in exposed places such as the open areas at the tops of passes. For example, Monitor Pass often seems to get color ahead of some of the lower areas.

The earliest that I typically see any real color is near the end of September, and that is usually only the "scrub aspen" and other trees in some limited areas. (A couple years ago I saw color in mid-September in the Tuolumne River canyon below Glen Allen, but that was an unusual drought year.)

My basic rule is that best aspen color usually begins up high right around the very beginning of October. Peak color is often about week or so into the month in higher areas. There is great color in the second week of October, though some of the higher areas are losing leaves pretty fast. There is still color in the third week, but mostly at lower elevations.

As for aspens at 11,000' in the Whites, I'm afraid that I haven't searched those out yet — though you are giving me an idea for next year. If they are in an area that isn't tremendously well watered, and especially if they are small trees, my bet might be on right around the start of October, though it could even be a bit earlier. But that's speculation...

Good luck!

Dan



Nov 21, 2017 at 06:11 AM







FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password