FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Would you refund the deposit....

jojosung
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Would you refund the deposit....

Saw on the news two days ago, a photographer in NJ refused to refund the deposit of $3,000, after the bride died due to cancer.

Granted, this is from one side of the story...
1. The wedding still 13 months away.
2. The photographer mentioned she had the right to keep the money per contract, and that she already paid her photographer for the wedding day already.

http://pix11.com/2017/11/06/howard-tries-to-get-photographer-to-see-the-light-for-soulmates/

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:24 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Would you refund the deposit....

I hope he wins every red cent, and more for emotional distress. That photog is scum. The contract terms are far too overreaching. Iím fairly sure a judge will say the same.

Nov 09, 2017 at 06:09 AM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Would you refund the deposit....

Sounds like that photog is just following some wedding forum best business practices to the letter.

Nov 09, 2017 at 07:04 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Would you refund the deposit....

amonline wrote:
I hope he wins every red cent, and more for emotional distress. That photog is scum. The contract terms are far too overreaching. Iím fairly sure a judge will say the same.

From a business pov why should the photg be out if pocket? The risk on on the part of the couple.

Not saying I wouldn't but I don't think a court should rule they should.

Nov 09, 2017 at 09:13 AM
ashton lamont
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Would you refund the deposit....

If the couple were insured - which they probably were since its a high-end booking (3k deposit) - and the photog paid back the 3k, then its the insurance company that is trousering the 3k since the surviving partner would not have claimed on their insurance.

Pete

Nov 09, 2017 at 10:39 AM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Would you refund the deposit....

This is obviously not going to be a popular point and not necessarily about this particular instance, but what's the point of having a contract if the response is to cave to every request?

On the other hand, contract disputes never go well for the photographer with clients having free reign to make libelous statements against them on SM. It's almost always less costly to cave in.

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:05 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Would you refund the deposit....

There is business and then there is good business. Business is adhering to the contract. Good business is having compassion for your customers and in extraordinary circumstances like this, to provide a refund. If the wedding date is really more than a year away I don't see the photog claiming that they lost the ability do make money.

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:39 PM
TheyCallMeJ
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Would you refund the deposit....

ZachOly, does your question reflect your intention if you were the photographer (keeping the $3000 no matter what), or are you simply picking our brains?

A business owner not only looks at maximizing profit, but also mitigates damage when things get ugly.

What's more damaging to your reputation? Getting hit by a $3000 loss (arguable as date can be rebooked within 13 months), or the negative PR and word of mouth that is circulating right now? I think you already know the answer.

Pick your battles carefully, don't attempt to fight when there's no chance in winning. Standing your ground against a dead bride makes you look horrible. All your past, current and future potential clients get to read this story now, congrats?

"With 13 months notice, all the vendors gave him refunds except the photographer"

Please don't be that guy / girl.

Nov 09, 2017 at 02:26 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Would you refund the deposit....

Absolutely would have refunded. Would not have even had to think more than 2 seconds about it.

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:03 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Would you refund the deposit....

ZachOly wrote:
but what's the point of having a contract if the response is to cave to every request?

I would hardly call this an "every request" situation.

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Would you refund the deposit....

Looks like her Facebook page is down (I tried the link from her website). That is just one of the consequences of her decision.

Putting aside morals and ethics for a moment, refusing to refund the deposit under the circumstances was an awful strategic move for her business.

Frankly, after looking at her web site and her photos, I can't believe anyone would pay her such a large deposit.

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:37 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Would you refund the deposit....

Sometimes being right, isn't right

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:49 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Would you refund the deposit....

Personally, I call bullshit on the, "Iíve already paid the photographers a year out." This photogís just scum. Plain and simple.

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:10 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Would you refund the deposit....

For the record, I'd refund the money in this instance.

My post was intended to have a larger discussion on the topic beyond the 27th hivemind response of "yes, refund you POS".

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:27 PM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Would you refund the deposit....

I would refund instantly, but one also has to wonder who would go around demanding refunds in this situation? If its vendors goodwill fine, but going to court against a contract?
Bad carma on both ends.

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:30 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Would you refund the deposit....

If I was booking weddings with $3k deposit, I could probably afford to refund a $3k deposit....and save the media smear.

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:46 PM
CMYK Designs
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Would you refund the deposit....

He/She should absolutely refund the deposit, no matter how much it was. The wedding was 13 months away and the photographer was already paid? Really? I HIGHLY doubt that and ask for proof of that transaction. So if that pre-paid photographer died, would his/her widow have to refund the pre-services payment? I would think so.

Like they say, do a good job and they'll tell a few people, do a bad job and they'll tell everybody!

Nov 09, 2017 at 05:56 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Would you refund the deposit....

I would return the deposit but I am not at all surprised that in the case mentioned that it was not. I learned many years ago that people are moral and ethical - except when it comes to money. That is when you truly learn what people are made of and if they are good or only conditionally good - as in when it costs them little or nothing.

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:41 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Would you refund the deposit....

"With 13 months notice, all the vendors gave him refunds except the photographer"

That looks so bad for the photographer. I wouldn't think twice. Refund

With 13 months away, there are plenty of opportunity to book someone.

I looked her up on Yelp and they froze her account along with alot of negative review.

Weddingwire have 177 reviews positive reviews. It's going to be hard for her to over come this bad PR press and SEO hit.

Nov 10, 2017 at 08:31 PM
Littleguy
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Would you refund the deposit....

These things only make the news because they are unusual.

Did you see any mention of the other vendors who refunded their deposits in the story? The story say that every vendor except one refunded the deposit - but how come there is no news story or even a mention of all the other vendors who refunded the deposit?

News is news because it reports on the abnormal. Normal things rarely make the news.

But this is lesson on good PR and enforcing your contract terms may not be the same thing.

Nov 11, 2017 at 02:32 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password