New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

This is how weatherproof the Sony A7S II is

LostBoyNZ

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · This is how weatherproof the Sony A7S II is

Roger posted a great teardown of a salt water damaged A7S II: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/10/about-getting-your-camera-wet-teardown-of-a-salty-sony-a7sii/

In the last details:

"This camera had easy water access from the battery door, the entire bottom, and around the camera strap lugs that we showed you. It also has two rotating dials that you can pour water through, but this splash didnít hit those. The viewfinder and hot shoe are a bit leaky, too."

I just thought that was a good reminder to be safe around any water, and interesting because there's been many questions on exactly what 'weather resistanceí is.

Nov 08, 2017 at 11:57 PM
mjm6
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · This is how weatherproof the Sony A7S II is

I'd be willing to bet that happened in an UW housing, not from a "splash" of water.

The housing needs to sit in water for it to wick into the inside like that. A splash won't keep enough water on the housing to have that much penetrate into the inside.

It could have been dropped into a puddle or similar so that none made it in the lens mount, but it really doesn't look like a splash caused that damage.

I've used UW housings, and can tell you that this is precisely the kind of damage that you could expect if you started down with the housing, spotted the leak, but didn't move fast enough to get the housing back up and the camera out of it in time.

Nov 09, 2017 at 12:44 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · This is how weatherproof the Sony A7S II is

mjm6 wrote:
I'd be willing to bet that happened in an UW housing, not from a "splash" of water.

The housing needs to sit in water for it to wick into the inside like that. A splash won't keep enough water on the housing to have that much penetrate into the inside.

It could have been dropped into a puddle or similar so that none made it in the lens mount, but it really doesn't look like a splash caused that damage.

I've used UW housings, and can tell you that this is precisely the kind of damage that you could expect if you started
...Show more

Either that or it was sitting on a tripod or stabilized on a rock when a rogue wave came in and submerged part of it. I've had that happen to a D800... it was a total loss. The upper part of the camera was fine, but the rest of it was totally screwed... corrosion, the whole nine yards. Submersion or partial submersion in salt water is not "weather" that is easily sealed against. I'd recommend at the very least putting a plastic bag around the entire camera/tripod head if shooting a seascape with water close to the camera (which generally makes for the most interesting kind of seascape). I've seen cameras survive immersion in fresh-water after a thorough drying, but game's over with salt water.

Nov 09, 2017 at 08:43 PM
nekrosoft13
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · This is how weatherproof the Sony A7S II is

LostBoyNZ wrote:
Roger posted a great teardown of a salt water damaged A7S II: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/10/about-getting-your-camera-wet-teardown-of-a-salty-sony-a7sii/

In the last details:

"This camera had easy water access from the battery door, the entire bottom, and around the camera strap lugs that we showed you. It also has two rotating dials that you can pour water through, but this splash didnít hit those. The viewfinder and hot shoe are a bit leaky, too."

I just thought that was a good reminder to be safe around any water, and interesting because there's been many questions on exactly what 'weather resistanceí is.

No DSLR, no professional camera is water proof.

Weather proof does not equal water proof

There is a huge difference between waterproof and weather proof.

Nov 09, 2017 at 08:48 PM
mjm6
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · This is how weatherproof the Sony A7S II is

Arka wrote:
Either that or it was sitting on a tripod or stabilized on a rock when a rogue wave came in and submerged part of it. I've had that happen to a D800... it was a total loss. The upper part of the camera was fine, but the rest of it was totally screwed... corrosion, the whole nine yards. Submersion or partial submersion in salt water is not "weather" that is easily sealed against. I'd recommend at the very least putting a plastic bag around the entire camera/tripod head if shooting a seascape with water close to the camera (which generally
...Show more

Yes, that could to it as well, but something that was pretty fast moving and came up that way could easily have gotten into the lens mount, which didn't happen in the camera in the photos. That was in part why I didn't suggest that it was a dunking in the way you describe, but it certainly could have been.

Either way, I don't see a simple splash of water causing that level of damage, as was described in the blog.

Nov 09, 2017 at 09:05 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · This is how weatherproof the Sony A7S II is

Interesting to see people here disagreeing with someone who has much more experience and knowledge than they do. Roger has torn apart countless cameras and lenses, yet others who have little or no experience seem to know otherwise. Including those that have to say how Nikon or Canon are not any better. After reading Rogers report I came away with the conclusion that the bottom sealing of the Sony a7sII is very ineffective.

Nov 09, 2017 at 09:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mjm6
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · This is how weatherproof the Sony A7S II is

Speaking of sacred cows...

I love Roger's blog, and clearly he understands an awful lot about optics and other camera related details of photography, and that wasn't at question here. Maybe you didn't understand that?

I think he was being very diplomatic in how he described the event that caused the destruction of the camera. Too diplomatic, probably, but considering he made a point of describing how the camera was somewhat cleaned up before the return, I suspect there may be a bit more to this story than is being reported in the blog.

Those details aren't (necessarily) important for the purposes of the blog, unless a secondary purpose was to shame the renter a bit about concealing the damage and then claiming the camera was functional when they returned it or something like that.

However, it would be nice to actually have a fairly accurate description of what actually happened to this camera, so that people don't all Chicken Little the information into extreme examples of Sony bashing or whatever people are prone to do with information these days. That probably can't be done, as it sounds like the renter wasn't upfront about the incident, and hence the term "splash" being used.

Nov 09, 2017 at 09:53 PM
d831
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · This is how weatherproof the Sony A7S II is

I've never checked out a teardown of the a7RII - does it share the same weak points with the a7SII's case?

Nov 09, 2017 at 10:08 PM
sungphoto
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · This is how weatherproof the Sony A7S II is

Yes it does. And I agree with Rogerís findings having torn down and done light repairs to a couple of my A7rii bodies (primarily to replace the rubber rear thumb pad which requires doing a partial tear down of the camera).

That bottom plate on the A7rii has no rubber weather sealing. It helps that the plate sits perfectly flush with the case, but if you let it sit in a pool of water perhaps a half inch deep for a long enough period of time, water will easily work itís way into the case - and the bottom of the shutter assembly is a little more than a quarter inch from the bottom plate.. Aside from the fact that the serial number is on that same easily removable plate.

d831 wrote:
I've never checked out a teardown of the a7RII - does it share the same weak points with the a7SII's case?

Nov 09, 2017 at 10:49 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · This is how weatherproof the Sony A7S II is

mjm6 wrote:
Speaking of sacred cows...

I love Roger's blog, and clearly he understands an awful lot about optics and other camera related details of photography, and that wasn't at question here. Maybe you didn't understand that?

I think he was being very diplomatic in how he described the event that caused the destruction of the camera. Too diplomatic, probably, but considering he made a point of describing how the camera was somewhat cleaned up before the return, I suspect there may be a bit more to this story than is being reported in the blog.

Those details aren't (necessarily) important for the purposes of
...Show more

I was being diplomatic overall, and in this case all the information I got was "never near the ocean" and the knowledge a tripod was being used and it was also ruined from sand and salt. So my mental guess was camera set up on tripod on rocks near the surf. Then a big wave comes in and I've seen those channel upward from the rocks, soaking the bottom of the camera.

Very possible it got set in a puddle, too, but there was lots more salt on the back of the camera and non on the front except at the bottom, so I guessed splash. Could have been any of the others, but it definitely wasn't soaked.

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:15 PM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · This is how weatherproof the Sony A7S II is

If the local weather forecast ever mentions large quantities of seawater jetting upwards from the ground, I'll be sure to not use my Sony that day!

Nov 10, 2017 at 01:00 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password