New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Sony Pro Service Outstanding!

stevesanacore
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony Pro Service Outstanding!

Hi all,

After reading all the bad reports of poor service from Sony over the past year or so, I had to report on this. I joined Sony Pro Services a few months ago when I realized how much I was depending on my Sony gear for work. I've been a Canon CPS member for years. Canon service has always been excellent.

My A7R2 needed a new rear screen, (it was slowly delaminating), and a cleaning for for a while now. Since I shoot with it weekly, it's been hard to find the time to send it in, not knowing how long they would take. I had a two week break and took a chance to send it in. I emailed the pro service people and they emailed me back a pre-paid FedEx label within one hour! This was last Friday, I boxed up the camera and shipped it that day. On Monday they called me, (a real person), told me they had the camera and were evaluating it. Tuesday, (yesterday), they called again to tell me it was ready and I received it this morning! The camera looked band new. They replaced the rear screen and cleaned the sensor and body. The service charge was $0.

To say I am impressed with their service would be a huge understatement. Here's five stars to Sony Pro Service!

Nov 08, 2017 at 10:27 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony Pro Service Outstanding!

Funny after months of being accepted. I kept forgetting to pay for it and this morning I finally signed up officially with money. Lol

Glad I did

Nov 08, 2017 at 11:58 PM
3catsinky
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony Pro Service Outstanding!

nice! i need to pay my $100

Nov 09, 2017 at 12:05 AM
landoflakes

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony Pro Service Outstanding!

How did you each find the application process?

SPS is one reason I am considering a switch to Sony from Fuji (they only have a expensive service for the GFX). I am on track for 8 weddings this year and will likely double that next year. I have heard that some people have had trouble getting accepted by them.

Nov 09, 2017 at 02:35 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony Pro Service Outstanding!

Based on gear supposedly. 2 cams 3 Sony lenses. I think is one requirement. I can’t remember the rest. but more about years, web site and such. I don’t know how much they weigh in on gear versus qualifications.

Nov 09, 2017 at 02:55 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony Pro Service Outstanding!

Here

Qualifying Applicants Must Meet All the Following Requirements:
• Own a minimum of 2 Sony Alpha Full-Frame interchangeable lens Cameras and a minimum of 3 Sony Zeiss and/or G Series lenses
• Be an active professional photographer (self-employed or an employee of a professional imaging business/organization)
• Provide professional work samples – either tear sheets or a business URL with galleries
• Pay an Annual Membership Fee*

Nov 09, 2017 at 02:59 AM
Mystik
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony Pro Service Outstanding!

Ive been really happy with pro services. My repair process went similarly to yours. I called them on Monday, received the shipping box Tuesday, camera was received, repaired, and sent back Wednesday. Camera back in hand on Thursday.

Their loaner service is great too. They contract through lens rentals, but the response time is fast and the gear is overnighted to you.

I was a CPS member for a while and had several dealings with them. Guys CPS is great, but Sony had them beat here.

Nov 09, 2017 at 02:28 PM
elizabeth77

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony Pro Service Outstanding!

I'm a member but haven't used Pro Services yet. My a7rii had severe screen damage also and I chose to send to Square Trade (where I had a long-term protection plan covering everything) as it was out of Sony warranty and theoretically Pro charges for those repairs, albeit discounted.
But the a9 needs a level of cleaning, including sensor, that is beyond what I like to do myself (I just finished a project in the desert and the dust level is incredible).
Good to hear the service is so good, it will reinforce my happiness with the system.

Nov 09, 2017 at 02:46 PM
landoflakes

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony Pro Service Outstanding!

Thanks for the additional info. Do those of you that have it work full-time as photographers? Right now I am part-time and plan to keep it that way for the foreseeable future (have a website, LLC, liability insurance, etc)

I am tracking the gear requirements, but have heard that Sony has rejected some folks in the past for not having a large enough business or not earning “enough” of their income from photography.

I may reach out directly to them and see what they say (with some photo samples). I don’t want to switch and then be turned down! SPS is not the only reason I would switch, but it is a factor.

Nov 09, 2017 at 02:51 PM
stevesanacore
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony Pro Service Outstanding!

Mystik wrote:
Ive been really happy with pro services. My repair process went similarly to yours. I called them on Monday, received the shipping box Tuesday, camera was received, repaired, and sent back Wednesday. Camera back in hand on Thursday.

Their loaner service is great too. They contract through lens rentals, but the response time is fast and the gear is overnighted to you.

I was a CPS member for a while and had several dealings with them. Guys CPS is great, but Sony had them beat here.

I actually shipped a broken lens to Canon the same day for a lens element module replacement, fairly big job I would think. I received it back in perfect condition the same day as the Sony body came in! In fact the FedEx guy had both boxes in his hands at the same time. Both great services at the moment. Couldn't be happier with both Canon CPS and Sony. It's nice to have such great support. I also tip my hat to Fedex for consistently great service too.

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony Pro Service Outstanding!

I’m going to see about trying a 24-105 once they are out.

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:51 PM
stevesanacore
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony Pro Service Outstanding!

Yes, getting to demo equipment is a great resource. I did it with Canon a few times over the years. Using gear on real jobs is the best way to see just how good it really is.

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:59 PM
Adam Schallau
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony Pro Service Outstanding!

I'll add my 2˘...

I'm a member of Sony Pro Support and recently had to have my a7RII repaired. The LCD display was partially ripped off the camera while climbing up a waterfall in the Grand Canyon. This was definitely not a warranty repair.

Sony Pro Support and the team at Precision Camera were wonderful to deal with. They communicated very clearly, provided me with regular updates, and took care of overnight shipping both ways. The camera was repaired free of charge, was cleaned, and the firmware was updated. It came back good as new.

I've been shooting professionally for about 7 years now, and have been a member of Canon Professional Service that entire time. They have always been fine to del with, and I never had any issues with them, but in this case Sony has them beat with the superior communication. Sony really made me feel like I was their only customer.

Nov 16, 2017 at 06:00 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony Pro Service Outstanding!

Great to hear Adam

Nov 16, 2017 at 06:03 PM
elizabeth77

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony Pro Service Outstanding!

Just had great service as well with the maintenance/cleaning on my a9 and a loaner dispatched overnight via LensRentals.

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:57 PM
Messier77
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony Pro Service Outstanding!

Any idea if Sony will ever open up a buy-in support tier for amateurs who have spent way too much money on their products? In other words, you could join if you own a certain number of Sony bodies and/or lenses and pay a higher fee than the regular Sony Pro Support.

Nov 19, 2017 at 03:37 PM
Messier77
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony Pro Service Outstanding!

elizabeth77 wrote:
Just had great service as well with the maintenance/cleaning on my a9 and a loaner dispatched overnight via LensRentals.

What does the maintenance include?

I've been getting my sensor professionally cleaned once every 6-12 months, but I'm not sure what else should be done for maintenance other than keeping the rest of the body clean and free of dust/debris and regularly making sure that everything works properly.

Nov 19, 2017 at 03:39 PM
elizabeth77

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony Pro Service Outstanding!

Messier77 wrote:
What does the maintenance include?

I've been getting my sensor professionally cleaned once every 6-12 months, but I'm not sure what else should be done for maintenance other than keeping the rest of the body clean and free of dust/debris and regularly making sure that everything works properly.

My a9 just came back from weeks of camping in the Serengeti (which is one big dust storm especially if you are driving through it) and the small islands off the Tanzanian coast, so it was primarily a cleaning. They also checked and recalibrated all functions (obviously leaving my custom settings) and did the firmware upgrade while they were at it.
It kind of depends how you use your camera how much of this you need. My bodies get dusty, occasionally wet, get "borrowed" by kids at schools (it's fun to see what's on that card later), occasionally get knocked into in crowds, so they take an unusually high level of beating. In general the sensor cleaning and ensuring that all is in alignment and working is plenty IMO.

Nov 19, 2017 at 04:28 PM
Jim DE
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony Pro Service Outstanding!

Yeah I joined the first week they started the pro program and have had nothing but stellar service...... my only annoyance is the yearly surveys/equipment updates they send out to fill out that I just don't have time for or feel they are necessary.

Camera service and speed is exceptional as is the professionalism when they are needed.

Nov 19, 2017 at 04:45 PM
bowens
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony Pro Service Outstanding!

I would have to agree with the great support from Sony Pro Services. I have had great support from Canon over the years and joined as soon as Sony started their Pro Support. They now have a LA location to drop off equipment for cleaning etc. Johnny and Andy here on the west coast are great and follow up immediately on all issues. When I sent my A7rII to Precision Camera I received a call from a Sony rep the day it arrived and again letting me know it had been shipped back to me two days later. I have used the loaner program a couple of times with great service. (It must work because I've purchased all three of the lens I tried.)

Nov 21, 2017 at 04:45 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password