New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Epson P800 and Ilford GFS issues

Markus L
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Epson P800 and Ilford GFS issues

Hello,

I've been having an issue with my P800 and the paper I use most often, which is Epson Gold Fibre Silk. When using 13x19 or 17x22 paper, I'm getting short white marks running horizontally across the page. I've tried everything I can think of to correct this, adjusting platen gap, paper feed adjustment, paper width, front loading, sheet loading head alignment, nozzle cleaning, etc, but nothing is fixing this issue. I've also had the same issue in the past with GFS rolls, but I don't have this issue with my canvas rolls nor any 8.5x11 sheets I've tried. I've attached a pic of the problem, which I haven't seen in any google searches I've tried to find. Sorry for the awful cell phone pic, but that's the best I could get to show the problem. Any help would be appreciated!! I don't have any other types of paper that size to test with right now.

Nov 08, 2017 at 10:21 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Epson P800 and Ilford GFS issues

Try calling Epson. They might have seen this problem before. (Is this possibly the "pizza wheel" problem that is known to effect the P800?)

Nov 08, 2017 at 10:40 PM
mikek200
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Epson P800 and Ilford GFS issues

Is this Ilford GFS,or,some Epson paper??

Mike

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:14 AM
Markus L
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Epson P800 and Ilford GFS issues

This is GFS. I plan on getting some Epson Paper to see if it's similar. I'm really not sure if this is the "pizza wheel" problem, this is the first photo printer I've owned and I can't find any images of what the pizza wheel marks actually look like.

Nov 09, 2017 at 05:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Epson P800 and Ilford GFS issues

Were you referring to the parallel white lines on the dark part of your print? Are the lines in the direction of the paper feed? If they are (parallel, same direction as paper feed and on dark areas). then the lines are quite likely what people refer to as pizza wheel marks. Lots of threads on the internet on this subject. Also lots of examples and "solutions".

Nov 10, 2017 at 01:56 AM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Epson P800 and Ilford GFS issues

those are NOT pizza wheel marks. It's a very classic example of head strikes, where the paper is coming into contact w/ the head as it flies by and literally scrapes the surface of the paper.

First off, you'll want to do a nozzle check to make sure you have a clean functioning head. Adjust the paper thickness to the next thicker/wider setting, not the platen gap. Also, make sure, esp w/ long papers that the paper is supported by the output tray. Lastly, you could also try slightly dialing back the ink density and/or paper drying time (on the idea that w/ this print, due to the very dark nature of it, the excess ink is causing the paper to effectively swell).

Also check the flatness of the paper on a table and make sure it doesn't have a natural wave

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:51 AM
Markus L
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Epson P800 and Ilford GFS issues

howardm4 wrote:
those are NOT pizza wheel marks. It's a very classic example of head strikes, where the paper is coming into contact w/ the head as it flies by and literally scrapes the surface of the paper.

First off, you'll want to do a nozzle check to make sure you have a clean functioning head. Adjust the paper thickness to the next thicker/wider setting, not the platen gap. Also, make sure, esp w/ long papers that the paper is supported by the output tray. Lastly, you could also try slightly dialing back the ink density and/or paper drying time (on the idea
...Show more

Thanks, I'll give some of these a try tomorrow afternoon.

Nov 10, 2017 at 08:28 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password