New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

manual focus legacy lens for portraits

bobestremera

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · manual focus legacy lens for portraits

Need so tips here.
I have a Fuji X-T20 and experimenting with a Rokkor 55mm 1.7. Love the lens. Beautiful bokeh. When I manually focus on general objects, the focus peaking yields good results. But I just tried my first portrait 'test' session and I'm finding that I got close but missed critical focus on the eyes several times. My subject wore glasses. I was using focus peaking, in red. I waited until the actual eyes were being highlighted so focus should have been good, but wasn't always. What techniques are some of you using for manually focusing for portraits?
Thanks,

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:20 PM
spoupard
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · manual focus legacy lens for portraits

In addition to focus peaking, did you zoom in to check focus? It's the only way you will be able to achieve critical focus. Also, you may want to consider stopping down a stop.

Nov 08, 2017 at 10:37 PM
bobestremera

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · manual focus legacy lens for portraits

I did not zoom the focus. That is going to be my next test. I first wanted to see how peaking by itself worked.

Nov 09, 2017 at 12:02 AM
roger lund
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · manual focus legacy lens for portraits

Each lens works differently with focus peaking. sometimes something with more focus throw can be better or worse.

But Generally a faster lens, stopped down a bit is best.

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:09 PM
bobestremera

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · manual focus legacy lens for portraits

Interestingly, when I looked at my LCD after I took the photos, I saw what I thought was soft or miss-focused eyes. But when I looked at the images in Lightroom, I saw that focus was good on every image. One thing I did in the menu was to select the lighter version of the peaking. I remember reading in a forum somewhere that using the heaviest setting for peaking was not as accurate as the lighter setting. I think there's truth to that.

Nov 09, 2017 at 08:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · manual focus legacy lens for portraits

I stumbled upon a Canon FD 50mm 1.4 for $75, including a Canon FD to Fuji adapter. The images looked great. My other FD lenses also look very good.

Based on my experience, I just bought a clean Canon 58mm f1.2 for $150. I'm looking forward to testing it as a portrait lens. I fully intend to buy the gorgeous Fuji 56mm 1.2 down the road, but this should do great as an interim!

Nov 09, 2017 at 08:34 PM
bobestremera

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · manual focus legacy lens for portraits

Sounds great. You might find you can shoot with lots of great glass for very little money. I actually like the whole manual focus thing. Fuji seems to have a great focus system for it.
Good luck with your FD's. That 58mm sounds like it's going to be a great portrait lens.

Nov 09, 2017 at 08:56 PM
jgoetz4
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · manual focus legacy lens for portraits

dmacmillan wrote:
I stumbled upon a Canon FD 50mm 1.4 for $75, including a Canon FD to Fuji adapter. The images looked great. My other FD lenses also look very good.

Based on my experience, I just bought a clean Canon 58mm f1.2 for $150. I'm looking forward to testing it as a portrait lens. I fully intend to buy the gorgeous Fuji 56mm 1.2 down the road, but this should do great as an interim!

I bought the FD 1.4 a while back, and use it for portraits. Here's one of my favorites models

X-E1    50mm    f/0/0    1/350s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 23, 2017 at 01:18 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · manual focus legacy lens for portraits

Focus peaking is hit-or-miss in my experience. For critical focus, definitely zoom in.

One thing I miss greatly from my days as a Sony A7R user is 14x magnification. Fuji only zooms in 6x. The difference is really apparent to me when critical focus is important. I'm not sure how hard it would be for Fuji to address this in firmware if it ever got onto their "to do" list. I think the upper limit is tied to the size of the preview JPEG, which is not huge. So they'd have to make a bigger preview JPEG so you could zoom in more.

Seeing as we're posting pictures of cute dogs... this is a quick grab-shot with my new favourite 50 -- the Olympus OM 50mm f/2 Macro. It's an outstanding lens -- better even than my OM 50/1.4, which is a might fine lens. This is f/2 on my Fuji X-T2.

Sophie -- Olympus OM 50mm f/2 Macro, @f/2 on Fuji X-T2

Nov 23, 2017 at 02:59 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password