New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

A7R3 for amateur sports as well?

patotts
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A7R3 for amateur sports as well?

We all have our budget limitations, in my case I sold off some stuff and invested in a A9 and 70-200/2.8 GM to, among other things, photograph youth soccer. I'm very happy with the results, however, at times I wish I had a longer lens. Instead of buying another lens, I thought about another alternative - get the A7RIII and then have the ability to "zoom in" and crop closer given the 42MP.

Is this crazy talk? While the A7R3 AF isn't as strong as the A9, I am hoping that it is good enough. Handling the larger files might be problematic though as one goes through a lot of images to get a few keepers.

Thoughts/comments?

PS I use the camera for travel, family and youth sport photography mainly DS

Nov 08, 2017 at 08:45 PM
oddjobprime

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A7R3 for amateur sports as well?

To me the high keeper rate of the A9 trumps all. I would rather get the reach by investing in glass.

BTW the 1.4 tc works pretty well on the GM. I use that and have been pretty happy with the results. Stopping down just a little bit improves the whole setup too.

I've mentioned this elsewhere - I expect the A7riii sports shooting experience to be vey close to the a6300 that I used. If so, the A9 will be the far better a tool without question.

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:14 PM
sullivanrp

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A7R3 for amateur sports as well?

Don't own an A9 - but have shot soccer extensively when I used to use Canon...

Although you don't want to buy another lens, a 100-400 + 1.4x teleconverter is a killer combo if you are shooting daytime games. For travel and family stuff you could grab the new 24-105 or the primes of your choosing to accompany just this lens, really.

Seems like the A7R III won't track as well as the A9, and when players are coming at you and you are trying to keep focus on faces I think you'll miss the keeper rate and the frame rate compromise (not that 10 isn't enough, just saying).

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:33 PM
scrappydog
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A7R3 for amateur sports as well?

I do BIF shots with my A7RII and Canon glass. Amateur soccer with native glass would be a breeze, especially with a better AF system and no blackout EVF. Cropability is a huge benefit of 42MP files. So yes, I think you will be fine. I would recommend back-button focusing and periodically activating AF to ensure proper tracking.

Edited on Nov 08, 2017 at 09:35 PM · View previous versions

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:33 PM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A7R3 for amateur sports as well?

patotts wrote:
I wish I had a longer lens. Instead of buying another lens, I thought about another alternative - get the A7RIII and then have the ability to "zoom in" and crop

If you're going to do that then why not save a lot of money and get an a6300, which will give you more reach than the A7RIII, and will shoot at 11fps.

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

fpoet
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A7R3 for amateur sports as well?

Not a crazy thought at all. You would indeed get more reach with the ability to crop. As for the keeper rate on the A7rIII, no one knows yet, but it might very well be enough for your needs (only you will know). The extra resolution might prove useful for your other uses as well.

Good luck

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:41 PM
PhilthePhrame

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A7R3 for amateur sports as well?

Matt Grum wrote:
If you're going to do that then why not save a lot of money and get an a6300, which will give you more reach than the A7RIII, and will shoot at 11fps.

The a7Riii will give the same reach as the a6300 if you use crop mode, if you don't mind using 18 MP on the a7Riii instead of the 24 MP on the a6300.

That said, the a6300 is a very nice camera with terrific Image Quality and very snappy focusing. For me, the question will be whether the a7Riii will have focusing as snappy; if not, I'll get an a6500. But, there are predictions the a7Riii AF will be as good.

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:43 PM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A7R3 for amateur sports as well?

PhilthePhrame wrote:
The a7Riii will give the same reach as the a6300 if you use crop mode, if you don't mind using 18 MP on the a7Riii instead of the 24 MP on the a6300.

That's not how reach works, if you don't mind using 18MP, you can crop the a6300 image and get an even narrower field of view.

Ultimately reach is determined by pixel size, the a6300 thus has more reach than the A7RIII at a fraction of the price.

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:49 PM
bwcolor
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A7R3 for amateur sports as well?

Soccer and the 100-400mm up to U12 and with a 1.4TC full field is perfect. Best stopping down one stop at 640mm, but only A9 can so PDAF at f/11. Don't know about A7Riii.

Nov 08, 2017 at 11:52 PM
PhilthePhrame

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A7R3 for amateur sports as well?

Matt Grum wrote:
That's not how reach works, if you don't mind using 18MP, you can crop the a6300 image and get an even narrower field of view.

Ultimately reach is determined by pixel size, the a6300 thus has more reach than the A7RIII at a fraction of the price.

What I've described is how reach works for me and, I'm sure, for many on a practical level. But, I do appreciate that your more technical approach is helpful.

In any case, you might be interested in this link, which compares the Dynamic Range of the a7Rii in APS-C and the a6500.

http://tinyurl.com/ybdncwby

This seems to show the a7Rii doing slightly better than the a6500 at higher ISOs.

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:12 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password