Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       end
  

Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.
  
 
Vinnie_VdB
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.


You gotta love Steve Providing us with marvelous e-books that cost peanuts so to say and now this hands-on test that tells me so much more than reviews that came online 2 days after the camera was launched (some even dared to review the camera before it was released).
It was worth the wait and the tips on top of that were the cherry. Thx man.



Nov 09, 2017 at 01:35 PM
Charles Loy
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.


Odd to me, actually hard to believe: There is not a single 50mm lens in the “Nikon approved” lens list.


Nov 09, 2017 at 01:50 PM
gpelpel
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.


jlafferty wrote:
Questions for those with the D850:

1) I just rented one and noticed the outline of a "safe area" in the viewfinder. Not a greyed mask - just an outline. However, the image was cropped to that safe area. The safe area was pretty big - offhand I'd say it felt like 10-15% of the total VF. Am I mistaken about this? Can those of you who have an 850 check and confirm?

2) Is it true that masking modes record cropped raw files? Totally lame if so



Check the File Format. If 1.2x, or DX, or other crop format has been selected the viewfinder grey out the extra frame area (FX). The saved image is what is within the cropped frame thus producing smaller files and allowing both the card and buffer to handle more images.



Nov 09, 2017 at 03:24 PM
Blakehfreeman
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.


Not odd if you've shot with them! 😬 I'd assume they replace one of them in the next 18 months..

Charles Loy wrote:
Odd to me, actually hard to believe: There is not a single 50mm lens in the “Nikon approved” lens list.




Nov 09, 2017 at 04:43 PM
Blakehfreeman
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.


Agreed. Sounds like the format has been swapped to DX or 1.2 crop. Easy is to see the resolution of your file... if it's anything less than 46mpix it's in a different mode. You can also restore all settings to default.

gpelpel wrote:
Check the File Format. If 1.2x, or DX, or other crop format has been selected the viewfinder grey out the extra frame area (FX). The saved image is what is within the cropped frame thus producing smaller files and allowing both the card and buffer to handle more images.




Nov 09, 2017 at 04:44 PM
jlafferty
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.


Damn. Y'all were right. 3:2 crop format. I'd dug into the menus and just wasn't clear on the crop area/mask icons. Thought I had done the reset. Oh well. Still almost 32mp and the gig looks great anyway. Thanks.

Blakehfreeman wrote:
Agreed. Sounds like the format has been swapped to DX or 1.2 crop. Easy is to see the resolution of your file... if it's anything less than 46mpix it's in a different mode. You can also restore all settings to default.





Nov 09, 2017 at 05:17 PM
Charles Loy
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.


Blakehfreeman wrote:
Not odd if you've shot with them! 😬 I'd assume they replace one of them in the next 18 months..



That's what is odd about it, sir. It's the normal FX lens and unacceptable.



Nov 09, 2017 at 05:20 PM
mattrobo
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.


Steve is a great reviewer. His videos always have substance, unlike other photography Youtubers.


Nov 09, 2017 at 05:30 PM
JSW3
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.


Awesome review Steve. Easily the best Nikon wildlife photographer reviewer online today. Not even close. I have both the D500 and the D850. The color, IQ and detail with the D850 are great but I miss the extra reach with the D500.

Question - In the review you said that in low light there is an ISO advantage to using the D850 full frame sensor over the D500. I assume this holds true in any light and is not just an ISO advantage but an overall IQ adavantage. ie. If you can fill the FX view finder and avoid cropping the D850 will give better IQ than the D500? If you have to crop to DX or more the IQ advantage shifts to the D500?

Edited on Nov 09, 2017 at 07:57 PM · View previous versions



Nov 09, 2017 at 06:35 PM
OffTrail
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.


Great review Steve. Your reviews do a great job of comparing things in the real world, and addressing questions everyone has. I'm not a wildlife photographer, but I still get the most value out of your reviews regardless.






Nov 09, 2017 at 07:50 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Woodyg3
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.


I watched even though I have no current interest in buying the camera. I just like to see someone who actually uses the camera for a significant amount of time before they do their main review. I hate the "in-depth" reviews that so many do after using the camera for one shoot, or for just a couple of days.

Steve, that focus testing looked like NO FUN and a ton of drudgery. I don't know how you do it. I would go bonkers. You are a patient and thorough individual!



Nov 09, 2017 at 11:06 PM
bs kite
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.


Charles Loy wrote:
I've been using the D850 for a couple months, but learned a bunch from your this video review. As I had already learned, the 18 grip (poor) fitment and near flimsy feel was confirmed. I may cancel my order for that damn thing.
Thanks Steve.


I am watching for the Vello Charles.

And thanks for the heads up Steve.



Nov 10, 2017 at 12:08 AM
Steve Perry
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.


JSW3 wrote:
Awesome review Steve. Easily the best Nikon wildlife photographer reviewer online today. Not even close. I have both the D500 and the D850. The color, IQ and detail with the D850 are great but I miss the extra reach with the D500.

Question - In the review you said that in low light there is an ISO advantage to using the D850 full frame sensor over the D500. I assume this holds true in any light and is not just an ISO advantage but an overall IQ adavantage. ie. If you can fill the FX view finder and avoid cropping
...Show more

Thanks

Yes, it's an overall IQ advantage when you use the entire sensor Vs the D500, regardless of the ISO (although it may be tough to tell at really low values).

If you have to go DX, I think the D500 and D850 are too close to call in real world scenarios.



Nov 10, 2017 at 12:20 AM
Steve Perry
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.


Woodyg3 wrote:
I watched even though I have no current interest in buying the camera. I just like to see someone who actually uses the camera for a significant amount of time before they do their main review. I hate the "in-depth" reviews that so many do after using the camera for one shoot, or for just a couple of days.

Steve, that focus testing looked like NO FUN and a ton of drudgery. I don't know how you do it. I would go bonkers. You are a patient and thorough individual!


I admit, I love the "real" photo work, but could pass on the tedious testing part - especially since I was completely happy with the AF. However, everyone wanted to know and I was curious myself, so there it is



Nov 10, 2017 at 12:23 AM
Hillrg`
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.


That is really solid work Steve. My only issues with the D850:

1. This applies to all recent nikons - I want to be able to customize the AF-Area mode selection. The button in the front close to the lens release works fine for short lens but is useless when shooting with long glass. I want to be able to change it with just my right hand. The PV and FN1 buttons should be able to do this.

2. Being able to customize pressing the sub-selector button is a nice touch and I'd like to use it for a AF-Area mode but it sure is easy to move the AF point in the heat of the moment.

3. While I like the focus stacking on the D850 I've been stacking with the E-M1 for a while and the Olympus implementation is better, previewing each shot on the monitor as it is taken, making it easier to terminate a stack in situations where it is hard to look through the viewfinder. That's why they put a fold out monitor on the camera - right? Also, they should give you the option of being able to pick both the front focus and the back focus point and then stack the range from front to back.

4. The focus peaking is a nice feature, but for the life of me, I can't understand why you have to switch to manual focus. They make M/F lenses for this.

Cheers
Rory



Nov 10, 2017 at 03:23 AM
fln538
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.


Steve is the Zen Master of wildlife photography!!



Nov 10, 2017 at 03:36 AM
cohenfive
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.


I just started getting into the review, I'm sure it will be both entertaining and informative. Steve has a way of explaining things so that everyone from working pro to rank amateur can understand the point he wants to convey. Thanks!


Nov 10, 2017 at 05:47 AM
mholdef
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.


I just traded in my 50/1.8G for a 50/1.4 Sigma Art. Big différence


Charles Loy wrote:
Odd to me, actually hard to believe: There is not a single 50mm lens in the “Nikon approved” lens list.




Nov 10, 2017 at 07:03 AM
Frode
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.



Yes, quite a informative and practical review. Nice of him to share 🙂👍.

nuclearjock wrote:
It's here:

Steve Perry D850 Review

Thx Steve




Nov 10, 2017 at 08:35 AM
Howard Kearley
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.


nice one Steve




Nov 10, 2017 at 02:11 PM
1      
2
       3       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password