New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.

nuclearjock
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.

It's here:

Steve Perry D850 Review

Thx Steve

Nov 08, 2017 at 08:17 PM
Lance B
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.

Another excellent review, Steve. Well done, mate!

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:57 PM
bs kite
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.

Just finished watching the entire video. Great job and thank you so much!

Steve: Your wildlife imagery is fantastic! A few stick in my mind. I love the Elk in the fog, and the Terns are super exciting. My favorite is probably the Ladybug. Was that a 500 FL I saw you shooting at one point?

Thanks for bringing the PIN feature to my attention. I missed it.

Yes, if a photographer has a technique flaw that was always there, the D850 brings it out. Incidentally everyone, Tony North makes the same point in his D850 video. It is the same for me; the D850 has been a challenge alright.
In fact, I still like my D500 better, but the D850 is gaining, as I learn to use it. FWIW, my D500 will always be quicker and quieter.

Focus Peaking and Silent Shutter: I have been shooting these a lot lately.

Focus Peaking: With my Daltonism, I especially like the D850's blue Focus Peaking when doing wildlife video clips. The ability to now shoot video clips without struggling to focus is a huge reason I kept the D850 camera. HD is exciting enough for me. And using the blue Focus Peaking color off a tripod, is wonderful. Forget video AF; it is a now a breeze to pull focus.

Silent shutter: Yes, I am sure I will find situations in which I love it, but it is not nearly as quick as the viewfinder. That said, working off the tripod with Silent Shutter and/or Focus Peaking, is going to be very useful in certain still-shot situations. With that LCD flipped out, things become very difficult if I try to handhold my telephoto. But I guess it is not meant for that. The tripod is necessary for this.

Right you are, even with my color handicap, I can still see that the colors of the D850 are more exciting than what I am used to. There is a definite improvement.

I do like the D850's Outdoor Auto White Balance. It has helped me a lot.

Thanks again Steve!

If I could swing it, the D5 would probably be my first choice too.

Nov 08, 2017 at 10:08 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.

Great work Steve! Nice watching the review of an actual working pro... there's so much dreg out there on YouTube.

Nov 08, 2017 at 10:49 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.

Thank you very much Steve! Great review and very informative

Nov 08, 2017 at 11:02 PM
PIOK
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.

Steve is simply The Best >>> You are "The King" of Nikon's Camera Reviews

Nov 08, 2017 at 11:44 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.

Thanks for the post - and the kind words everyone

Nov 08, 2017 at 11:55 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.

bs kite wrote:
Just finished watching the entire video. Great job and thank you so much!

Steve: Your wildlife imagery is fantastic! A few stick in my mind. I love the Elk in the fog, and the Terns are super exciting. My favorite is probably the Ladybug. Was that a 500 FL I saw you shooting at one point?

Thanks for bringing the PIN feature to my attention. I missed it.

Yes, if a photographer has a technique flaw that was always there, the D850 brings it out. Incidentally everyone, Tony North makes the same point in his D850 video. It is the
...Show more

Thanks - and nope, all 600 F4 when you see big glass - although I have thought of adding a 500 F4 - I love that lens!

Nov 08, 2017 at 11:57 PM
4mpx
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.

Thanks Steve for this wonderful and educational video. I really appreciate your time to put things together in this field review.

Nov 09, 2017 at 12:05 AM
MikeInPa

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.

Excellent as always Steve. Thanks very much for your time and effort.

Nov 09, 2017 at 12:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.

Hands down the best Nikon D850 video I've watched. Thanks Steve for all the time and effort you put into making this.

Geoff

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:56 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.

I am sure the video is good. Excellent even. But I can't afford to watch it.

Nov 09, 2017 at 02:54 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.

I've been using the D850 for a couple months, but learned a bunch from your this video review. As I had already learned, the 18 grip (poor) fitment and near flimsy feel was confirmed. I may cancel my order for that damn thing.
Thanks Steve.

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:32 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.

It's really amazing. The videos of Steve's I'm guessing are one-man productions yet have the total professional feel of one with a crew of thousands. Don't know how he does it!

Great video!!

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:41 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.

Charles Loy wrote:
I've been using the D850 for a couple months, but learned a bunch from your this video review. As I had already learned, the 18 grip (poor) fitment and near flimsy feel was confirmed. I may cancel my order for that damn thing.
Thanks Steve.

Thank Charles

Also, the grip is still just fine - it's like 5-10% worse than the D810. I have no hesitation in using mine and the little bit of play that's present has to be provoked out of it - it doesn't bother me one bit while I'm shooting. And honestly, I think if I could crank it down tighter it would be fine - BUT - that tiny attachment wheel makes it tough (and if you do get it really tight, it's hard to release it). It just irks me a little that it's only *almost* as good as the D810, but I'd still buy it again.

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:52 AM
rick2906
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.

Nice video Steve! As always, you make good video with lots of information but it is explained so well! Best D850 reviews by a long shot! I love you're professionalism! I tried the D850 last week and i'll get one for sure!

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:56 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.

ckcarr wrote:
It's really amazing. The videos of Steve's I'm guessing are one-man productions yet have the total professional feel of one with a crew of thousands. Don't know how he does it!

Great video!!

Thanks Craig

Yeah, this one was huge and I'm relieved it's finally done. My wife does the B-roll, but the rest is me. This one was about 50~60 hours of production time between specific b-roll shots, all those illustrations, and editing. That doesn't even count the research time, testing, post processing, and shooting (although the shooting / traveling is the fun part ).

Still, it's fun to see it all come together

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:58 AM
gpelpel
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.

Awesome review. Thanks!!!

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:22 AM
Nisa
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.

Thank you. Great review!

Nov 09, 2017 at 10:21 AM
jlafferty
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Steve Perry's Nikon D850 Review.

Questions for those with the D850:

1) I just rented one and noticed the outline of a "safe area" in the viewfinder. Not a greyed mask - just an outline. However, the image was cropped to that safe area. The safe area was pretty big - offhand I'd say it felt like 10-15% of the total VF. Am I mistaken about this? Can those of you who have an 850 check and confirm?

2) Is it true that masking modes record cropped raw files? Totally lame if so

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:03 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password