Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

  

Any Opinions on the 180/4 Elmar?
  
 
AmbientMike
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any Opinions on the 180/4 Elmar?


Wondering if it is good or not? Any reviews or tests? R lens.


Nov 08, 2017 at 06:58 PM
pmeheut
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any Opinions on the 180/4 Elmar?


I have one and I used it with a Leica M240 and a Sony A7.
It is quite good. I compared it with the Nikkor AI 200/4, the Canon FD 200/4 and the Olympus OM 200/4.
The Leica is the best, the Nikkor being second.

But it is not as good as a modern lens on 20+ mpix digital camera.

P.S: I'm planning on selling it because I prefer to have AF on such lenses, mainly because I'm not getting any younger



Nov 08, 2017 at 07:49 PM
AmbientMike
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any Opinions on the 180/4 Elmar?



pmeheut wrote:
I have one and I used it with a Leica M240 and a Sony A7.
It is quite good. I compared it with the Nikkor AI 200/4, the Canon FD 200/4 and the Olympus OM 200/4.
The Leica is the best, the Nikkor being second.

But it is not as good as a modern lens on 20+ mpix digital camera.

P.S: I'm planning on selling it because I prefer to have AF on such lenses, mainly because I'm not getting any younger


Wondering which modern lenses are better? Leica or other? Also, if contrast is better in the new lenses, I can maybe fix it in pp, resolution, not really
Curious what differences you are seeing.



Nov 09, 2017 at 02:41 PM
pmeheut
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any Opinions on the 180/4 Elmar?


I still have the lens. If you can wait for a few days, I can post comparison with a Canon L zoom and others...


Nov 09, 2017 at 05:20 PM
AmbientMike
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any Opinions on the 180/4 Elmar?




pmeheut wrote:
I still have the lens. If you can wait for a few days, I can post comparison with a Canon L zoom and others...


Sounds great!



Nov 10, 2017 at 12:05 AM
telyt
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any Opinions on the 180/4 Elmar?


IMHO its greatest virtues are its small size and light weight. I wasn't especially impressed with the image quality. It's not bad, but IMHO nothing special. Bokeh is pleasing, it flares readily if sunlight is anywhere near hitting the front element.


Nov 10, 2017 at 12:12 AM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any Opinions on the 180/4 Elmar?


Maybe consider the 180/3.4 Apo-Telyt? Though it's not all that small or light...


Nov 10, 2017 at 03:37 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any Opinions on the 180/4 Elmar?


I would look at the Elmarit 180/2.8 vII (the one that's shaped like a flashlight). It's reasonably priced, not terribly big or heavy, and its minor CA issues fade quickly as you stop down.


Nov 10, 2017 at 06:07 AM
pmeheut
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any Opinions on the 180/4 Elmar?


Sorry it took me so long but the weather has been bad and the work demanding
So I had to settle for 100% crop of what I see from my windows.

All samples are the same: top left is Pen-F + 35-100/2.8, top right is 5DIII + 70-300L, bottom left is the Elmar on a Leica M10 and bottom right is the Nikkor AI 200/4 on the M10 too. Always on tripod.

First of all, such comparisons are extremely sensitive to the focusing. The Canon can give bad results sometimes. But the Elmar is much easier to focus than the Nikon because of the better, slower ring.

The results speaks by themselves: the modern lenses are sharper and have more contrast. The Elmar is useable in real life but his ages shows. However, at the end, you can see a picture I shot with a Sony A7 a few years ago.
The Nikon can not be recommended and it is very difficult to have a precise focusing even with the focus peaking.

First pictures: a brick wall.






2nd, harder one: an antenna in front of a blue sky. The Canon shines here and the MF lenses show their CA:






Short distance, part of my library:






And finally, the 180+Sony one, full-res:








Nov 14, 2017 at 08:09 AM
Mescalamba
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any Opinions on the 180/4 Elmar?


You sure Canon doesnt have profile correction enabled? Just asking. But otherwise, tele from Canon are pretty much top notch.


Nov 14, 2017 at 05:25 PM
pmeheut
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Any Opinions on the 180/4 Elmar?



Yes, I'm sure. And I shot several pictures each time, tried both AF and MF...


Depends on the lens but the best one can do nothing if not focused very precisely.



Nov 14, 2017 at 05:46 PM
AmbientMike
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Any Opinions on the 180/4 Elmar?


pmeheut wrote:
Sorry it took me so long but the weather has been bad and the work demanding
So I had to settle for 100% crop of what I see from my windows.

All samples are the same: top left is Pen-F + 35-100/2.8, top right is 5DIII + 70-300L, bottom left is the Elmar on a Leica M10 and bottom right is the Nikkor AI 200/4 on the M10 too. Always on tripod.

First of all, such comparisons are extremely sensitive to the focusing. The Canon can give bad results sometimes. But the Elmar is much easier to focus than the Nikon because
...Show more

Thank you for taking the time to test this. Any ideas how the pen gave a sharper result than the 5d3? Does it usually do yhat?

I use m4/3, myself, so that would be great, if it usually does.




Nov 16, 2017 at 05:05 AM
pmeheut
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Any Opinions on the 180/4 Elmar?


Any ideas how the pen gave a sharper result than the 5d3?


This is the case on the bricks only, not so much on the antenna or the books.
But in many cases, good u43 lenses give a "sharper" look than FF because of the smaller sensor, because the lenses are optimized for micro-contrast and give close to their best wide-open...

In my experience, this does not translate in a real-world advantage once the images are post-processed and printed.



Nov 16, 2017 at 06:16 AM







FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password