New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Candi

DianeinCR
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Candi

Candi is the owner of franchise magazine who's target audience is people who are looking for more natural, holistic health options. She was looking for head shots to us for the magazine.

I'm looking for any and all C&C...lighting, composition, post processing...anything you got. I can learn from it all!

Diane

Canon EOS-1D X    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    95mm    f/8.0    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D X    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    130mm    f/8.0    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D X    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    168mm    f/8.0    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D X    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    150mm    f/8.0    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 08, 2017 at 05:29 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Candi

Of the group, I like the next to last (red) and last best as far as posing and expression goes.

I would have liked to see you key light higher. It would have created a deeper shadow on her neck which would define her chin. I think her shoulders could have been turned more.

I think this kind of image would work OK as a small image to go with a "From the Publisher" kind of article usually found on the front page. I think this kind of traditional business portrait is out of style nowadays, with most folks going with a more natural, environmental type image.

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:19 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Candi

I'm going to go with the first shot. The body position and more forward lean are much more engaging and direct. Also, it's better lit. My first reaction to the others, after looking at the first, is that they're a bit under-exposed. Look particularly at her teeth. The first image has a great smile, while the rest could use some additional light, or maybe some additional post work. I'm not usually a fan of receding poses, as evident in the second shot. Just my two cents...

Nov 09, 2017 at 12:03 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Candi

I agree with dmacmillan. I'd add that I think #1 would have been better with a reflector rather than another light (looks unmodified) camera right; I think two catchlights looks a little odd.

Nov 09, 2017 at 02:03 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Candi

Her skin is really soft, so it can take on a higher ratio light like Doug suggested. I do agree with Steve on the poses though, I like No. 1 the best.

I also agree with Doug on the natural headshots being more popular these days.

Nov 09, 2017 at 02:42 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Candi

Nice results.
Comparing #1 and #2 I wondered if a light didn't fire in #2. I see two catchlights in #1 (Large one and a tiny one). Also the light levels are quite different, #2 being darker with aperture and shutter speed the same.

The larger catchlight would improve the others shots, IMO.

Nov 09, 2017 at 07:13 AM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Candi

Such great C & C from everyone!

I definitely can see how using a higher key light would help a great deal in defining the chin and jawline. I am also hearing that I can easily lift the light a fair amount in these images.

My eyes don't seem to assess lighting very well yet, but I am not giving up. So that said, any suggestions about how to think about lighting is always very helpful. What sort of questions should I be asking myself when I look at an image to help me decide to increase or decrease my lighting? I am now totally bugged by the catch lights in these shots! I did switch the strength of my lighting in these shots from one side to the other. I now know that I should have MOVED the lights instead.

As for the shoulders being rotated more, is there a rule of thumb to go by that might help?

On the topic of the style of the shot being dated, I agree. I had discussed taking outside head shots as the magazine boasts a more natural lifestyle, but she flatly refused. It's interesting to me how this particular client sees these portraits of herself as "more relaxed". She chatted away about how the previous ones she had done by another photographer were "more formal". She wanted these to be "more relaxed" so she was wearing blue and red and more natural makeup, and she thought a white background would be best this time.

Awareness sparks the desire to change. This is one of the things I love about posting here...I am always given food for thought.

As always, thank you Doug, Steve, Ernie, Ron and Jim for your time and talents!

Diane

Nov 09, 2017 at 05:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Candi

One of the books I really like is The Complete Guide To Light & Lighting In Digital Photography by Michael Freeman.

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:50 AM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Candi

Thanks Ernie. I'll check that book out.

Nov 11, 2017 at 05:46 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Candi

I'll also vote for #1

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:28 AM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Candi

Thank you CW100.

Diane

Nov 17, 2017 at 02:57 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Candi

#1 is the best. It has the best over-all composition and the lighting is the best.
#2 looks slightly underexposed and is cropped a bit loose for this type of headshot.
#3, the skin looks too smooth and she has shiny spots ...otherwise this would be the best shot ... you do have something on your background to the left of her head that needs to be cloned out.
#4 lacks the pop of #1 or #3

Final verdict, use #1 or fix up #3 slightly and go with that.

Nov 17, 2017 at 09:18 AM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Candi

Andre Labonte - Thank you for taking the time to provide me with such specific feedback. I find it most helpful!

Nov 20, 2017 at 05:48 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password