Which lens to use?
135mm f/2.0l
70-200mm IS II f/2.8l

FOV Crop & 135mm vs 70-200

LinuxHack3r
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FOV Crop & 135mm vs 70-200

This is a two part problem. I've been commissioned to shoot an even next month for a decent amount of money. I have shot a similar event at the exact same venue about two years ago. It is an indoor theatre. Now, back then I had my 85mm 1.8 USM. That lens worked great, I shot at 1.8 because the available light was limited, and the focal length produced an appropriate image for the event.

Now I no longer have my 85mm 1.8 USM. I have the 135mm f/2.0l. I love this lens! However it is a bit tighter and I'm unsure whether it will be too tight for the event next month. The venue is about 2 hours away so simply going and checking it out isn't completely practical.

My first thoughts were to take the 85mm images in Lightroom and apply a crop to them on about 10 of the best images to see what they would have looked like if I were shooting with the 135mm on the same body.

So, in keeping with this train of thought, I have used an iOS App (Photopills) to determine the following. On my 6D (full-frame), at 50' an 85mm lens has a horizontal field of view of 21' 2". The 135mm on the same body and same distance has a diagonal field of view of 13' 4"'. So, basically, if my thought process and calculations are all correct, a 135mm lens will have 62.992126% of the image length if shot with an 85mm. So, if I take that into consideration into either Photoshop or Lightroom, I think I should be able to setup a crop accounting for that. Does all of this sound correct? Is there a better or easier way to do this?

///

Secondly, and this is where the poll comes in, in general the gig I'm shooting should bring in a minimum of $500 but up to $1000 or more dependent on a few variables we agreed to originally. Even though I love the 135mm, I'm kicking around the idea of selling it for around $500-$650 (whatever I can get for it, obviously), pairing it with the future income from this gig, and getting the 70-200mm IS II f/2.8l. I could then use it for the shoot, be much more flexible for this gig and anything long term. However, I give up 1 f-stop, but gain IS. I generally love primes and love zooming when my feet when that is possible. Furthermore, the 135mm is just so great I'd hate to give it up, even if a zoom is technically better/more versatile. And, a serious concern of mine, the supposed weight of the lens means I have to be much more careful about supporting it, right? With a long/heavy lens such as this one, is it even theoretically ok to throw the camera/lens on a strap and leave it hanging from your shoulder without supporting the weight of the lens with your hand? I've briefly encountered some very particular people that worry very much about the weight of the 70-200 IS II f/2.8l and the stress it puts on the body. So, how "carefree" can you be in regards to leaving it unsupported, on a shoulder strap (the body, not the lens), etc?

///

For those interested, the event is classical ballet and I will be shooting one of their later dress rehearsals. This will give me the freedom to move around the theatre without hindering the audience, etc.

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:14 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FOV Crop & 135mm vs 70-200

I'd use the 70-200/2.8 L IS II, for sure. I've used the 135/2L a lot for low light events and performance, but I sold after getting the 70-200/2.8L IS II and cameras with relatively good low ISO performance (1DX and 6D).

Nov 08, 2017 at 05:15 PM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FOV Crop & 135mm vs 70-200

I love the 135L, too, but for events, the zoom will win every time, I suspect. How about renting the zoom?

Nov 08, 2017 at 05:35 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FOV Crop & 135mm vs 70-200

I would go with the 70-200/2.8 L IS II where its versatility is key for events. I have both lenses and since the addition of the 70-200 the 135 doesn't get as much use however I can't part with it.

Nov 08, 2017 at 05:35 PM
LinuxHack3r
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FOV Crop & 135mm vs 70-200

Well, I was hoping to squeeze by with the 135mm if it will work for two main reasons:

1) I'd actually be able to make a net profit, vs just buying more gear
2) Almost a complete stop more light. That's 2x! Since the lighting is generally variable and darker, in combination with fast movement, I really like a fast prime and at least 1/500 shutter.

It really doesn't make sense for me economically to own both lenses, if I did buy the 70-200 I'd really have to sell the 135 to justify it.

So, what I've loved about all my lenses so far (85mm, 135mm, etc) has been that they are light enough to throw on a shoulder strap and not worry about them while walking about.

So, with that in mind, can someone that cares to take the time do a brief write-up of proper do/don't etiquette for any of these larger lenses in terms of weight, holding, support, etc?

Right now I have an Adorama.com coupon and get this lens for $1709.10. That seems like a great price to me.

Nov 08, 2017 at 05:42 PM
LinuxHack3r
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FOV Crop & 135mm vs 70-200

Scratch that last part, the code they sent me last week has expired. So I'd be searching for an upcoming deal.

Renting of course is an option, but to some extent spending $100 on a rental on a piece of gear I'd like to someday own seams wasted to me.

Nov 08, 2017 at 05:51 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · FOV Crop & 135mm vs 70-200

Saying goodbye can be the hardest part of any rental. With our new Keeper program, you can try it, then buy it!
https://www.lensrentals.com/keeper

Just rent an eligible item, and then we’ll give you a starting purchase price based on the age of the copy we send you. We’ll even give you a credit for a portion of the rental fees.

Nov 08, 2017 at 06:02 PM
LinuxHack3r
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · FOV Crop & 135mm vs 70-200

AJSJones wrote:
https://www.lensrentals.com/keeper

Huh. Well that's pretty interesting. Since this will be the single most expensive lens I've ever owned, I was thinking of getting it new (no worries of it breaking within a month, etc). However, I'll look more into that program.

Nov 08, 2017 at 06:25 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · FOV Crop & 135mm vs 70-200

Yes I agree with others, 70-200L all the way for such a shoot. The mk II is a gem of a lens.

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:19 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · FOV Crop & 135mm vs 70-200

Put a hand strap on the camera and it will help relieve your hand of the weight. Buy a Canon refurb and get a 1 year warranty.

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

LinuxHack3r
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · FOV Crop & 135mm vs 70-200

Well, I gave into my urges and the advice here; I purhased a very clean 70-200mm 2.8L IS II from the Buy/Sell here. Got it at a good price.

I had contacted the Lensrentals about their program. I believe I got the lens from FM cheaper than it would have been from LensRentals, but I feel my copy is even much cleaner that what it would have been.

So now I must sell the 135mm and 24-70 f/4L IS I have to help fund this purchase. I plan on perhaps at some point adding a 50mm prime back into the mix, but even when I had the 50mm and 85mm combo, I typically only used the 85mm so the monstrous 70-200mm may be right for me to only have a single lens for a while.

Nov 09, 2017 at 06:20 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · FOV Crop & 135mm vs 70-200

Sounds like you are on your way.

Regarding lens weight on the lens mount of the body, it is not an issue. I've slung cameras over my shoulder with the 70-200 as well as the 100-400 for years.

I think just about anyone with either of these lenses does the same at some point with no problems. Unless there are some loose screws in either the lens or camera mounts, you'll be fine.

Mark

Nov 09, 2017 at 07:00 PM
LinuxHack3r
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · FOV Crop & 135mm vs 70-200

msalvetti wrote:
Sounds like you are on your way.

Regarding lens weight on the lens mount of the body, it is not an issue. I've slung cameras over my shoulder with the 70-200 as well as the 100-400 for years.

I think just about anyone with either of these lenses does the same at some point with no problems. Unless there are some loose screws in either the lens or camera mounts, you'll be fine.

Mark

Honestly, one of my biggest hesitance has been the weight and needed support there-of. A long time ago I purchased a camera bundle from someone locally. He had a 300mm f/4L (I think IS). He showed it to me and was very, very particular about making sure I held the weight of the camera by the lens and to not hold the body itself because of the torque of the lens.

I think I'll love the lens I just bought, but I don't want to have to worry to death about it breaking/the body breaking simply because I didn't hold/support it right.

If I don't have to worry that much about the combination breaking itself, I'll probably love it.

Nov 09, 2017 at 07:17 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · FOV Crop & 135mm vs 70-200

With the thousands of cameras out there being used with a 70-200 II, if there was a problem with the mount, you would have heard about it already.

No such issues on this or POTN, two VERY large forums.

Nov 09, 2017 at 07:26 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · FOV Crop & 135mm vs 70-200

I shot quite a few ballet dressed rehearsals and 70-200/4 does the job wonderfully. For really low light situations I use 100/2. Before that I used old manual lenses via adapter.
You can check my flickr if you wish, there are lot of ballet photos.

Nov 09, 2017 at 08:12 PM
drew.bowser
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · FOV Crop & 135mm vs 70-200

Might as well grab a 50 1.8 STM. It can be found for $90 or less used. Good backup for a general purpose...

I personally would stick with the 135L. its an amazing lens and since you have time to move around then it should be versatile enough....

Nov 09, 2017 at 08:54 PM
LinuxHack3r
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · FOV Crop & 135mm vs 70-200

Well, got the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II in today. I have to regrettably say, I'm not overly amazed. For a zoom lens it is nice, but dang it is a tank (and heavy as one too)! I also see that shooting inside my house at 2.8, AUTO ISO, and 1/500 second the images are underexposed because ISO is being capped and the 12,800. I could theoretically let ISO go up to 25,600 if I wanted but in the back of my mind I'm thinking with one of my primes it could be fine where it is or better.

I've placed the lens for sale on Craigslist to see if I can quickly get my money back. If not I'll give it a go shooting sometime but I simply cannot stop thinking how magical the 135mm f/2.0L feels to me compared to the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar I'd say that the 135mm is the better value if that focal length works for any given use.

For a zoom it is very nice, I can tell it is built very well, and image quality seems very nice, but it just doesn't seem right in my hands.

Nov 14, 2017 at 02:37 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · FOV Crop & 135mm vs 70-200

ISO 12800? Maybe it would be better to get some brighter lightbulbs.

EBH

Nov 14, 2017 at 02:45 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · FOV Crop & 135mm vs 70-200

LinuxHack3r wrote:
I've placed the lens for sale on Craigslist to see if I can quickly get my money back....

Jeez, give it a chance at least.

Nov 14, 2017 at 03:07 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · FOV Crop & 135mm vs 70-200

The size and weight should never have been a surprise, those are the 2 most frequent, and only, negatives brought up for that lens. The lens is also one stop slower than the 135L, so of course either your ISO has to go or your shutter speed go down in combination with each other to give you back that one stop of exposure. That is to be expected as well.

The lens is great for when you need flexibility in framing or want to add a 1.4x or 2x to it for further flexibility, something you won't get with the 135L.

I think we would all love a 70-200 f2L lens, but imagine the size and weight of that, oh and cost...

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:50 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password