The combinations are (almost) endless.

Nov 09, 2017 at 06:09 AM
CW100
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Want your opinion on downsizing

banky wrote:
Hey everyone-

First, I am mainly a travel photographer. I'm lucky enough to take 2-3 vacations a year and each is a big photo opportunity for me. I don't sell photos but they're my keepsake and used for prints around the house. I rarely use my gear when not traveling. I find my smartphone is enough for everyday life here at home.

I have a 5D4 with 6 lenses. The "holy trinity" of zoom and primes, so 3 zooms and 3 primes. I usually travel with just the body and 3 zooms and a tripod when necessary. I'm young, 32male, but I'm
...Show more

yes, that's a 'ton of stuff" to carry around when traveling on vacation

I use the little Canon M5 and 'pancake' lens when traveling and the M5 (or M6 or M100) can easily use big DSLR lenses with a $19 adapter ......very nice

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:07 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Want your opinion on downsizing

CW100 wrote:
yes, that's a 'ton of stuff" to carry around when traveling on vacation

I use the little Canon M5 and 'pancake' lens when traveling and the M5 (or M6 or M100) can easily use big DSLR lenses with a $19 adapter ......very nice

I would love to use an M5 for travel but over here it's at least 50% more expensive than the 200D/SL2, which has the same sensor. If they ever drop to a sensible price I'll buy one.

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:25 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Want your opinion on downsizing

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Only m4/3
... and EF-M... lenses are genuinely smaller and lighter in most cases.

Here's a comparison of three, three-zoom kits: EF-M, EF-S, and EF.

front, EF-M: M5, EF-M 11-22 IS STM, EF-M 18-55 IS STM, EF 55-200 IS STM
back right, EF-S: SL2, EF-S 10-18 IS STM, EF-S 18-55 IS STM, EF-S 55-250 IS STM
back right, EF: 5DS, EF 16-35/4 L IS, EF 24-70/4 L IS, EF 70-200/4L IS

The EF-M kit is significantly smaller than the EF and EF-S kits, and the EF-S kit is significantly smaller than the EF kit. The EF-M and EF-S kits weigh about the same, which is about 1/3 of the EF kit.

© jcolwell 2017

© jcolwell 2017

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:33 AM
artsf
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Want your opinion on downsizing

I can easily travel with 5div and 24-70ii, no lens changing, covers travel photography, very versatile, great ergonomics.

Nov 09, 2017 at 05:23 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Want your opinion on downsizing

I would suggest that the Canon Rebel system offers a sensible compromise between cost/weight/quality. My own night landscape kit is easy on my back and my bank account:

Canon 760D, Canon 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM, Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, Canon 50mm f1.8 STM and Canon 55-250 mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

Results here:

http://www.nightfolio.co.uk/avebury_sacred_landscape.html

Sure a full frame body would be better at high ISOs, but I doubt I would have done so much walking around with the 5D2 and L lens kit I used to own.

Consider the Rebels, cheap, light and higher IQ than yesterday's pro bodies. Much underated on FM I believe.

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:20 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Want your opinion on downsizing

Lovely stuff David.

Couldn't agree more about the Rebels, I just recently bought a 200D and it's a fantastic little camera and stopped down a bit the 10-18mm does really well compared to my 16-35L IS

Nov 12, 2017 at 07:14 AM
palmor
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Want your opinion on downsizing

My travel kit consists of a couple of Panasonic M43 cameras.

For around town stuff I use the GX850 with the 12-32 pancake lens. Great small kit that fits in a larger pocket easily. I also have a G85 and a handful of other lenses (the 14-140 being a great all-in-one) as well.

Since this is a secondary/travel/hiking system I don't have a ton of the prime lenses that are so well regarded but they maybe in my future. Another great thing is that the 4k video is really quite nice from these cams so no need for something separate.

Nov 13, 2017 at 08:43 PM
Mark Andrew

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Want your opinion on downsizing

I shot semi-professionally and lugged Canon equipment for years. I tried the Olympus 4/3 system and it didn't work for me. I didn't like how the camera operated and I didn't like the images I was getting.

About 6 months ago I tried the Fuji x-t2. The image quality is very good but not as good as the Canon. But the shooting experience is way better in my opinion. I now have a small backpack with a 35 1.2 (50mm), 60 2.4 macro (90mm) and a 50-140 which is heavy and I sometimes leave it out. But even with the zoom it weighS WAY less and is half the bulk. I will probably buy the 14 2.8 and leave the zoom in my car and carry the camera way more than I carried the Canon.

Nov 13, 2017 at 09:06 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Want your opinion on downsizing

Haven't read all the responses.

I'd sell all your lenses but a mid range zoom (24-105 or 24-78). Take what photos you can with that and be very happy with your high image quality. If it's still too bulky, I'd try m4/3 or maybe APS-C. You should see all the amazing landscapes Scott Kroeker used to take with a 7D.
With the A7 series, your lenses will be basically the same size since they cover a similar sensor area.

Nov 13, 2017 at 09:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CW100
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Want your opinion on downsizing

dhphoto wrote:
I would love to use an M5 for travel but over here it's at least 50% more expensive than the 200D/SL2, which has the same sensor. If they ever drop to a sensible price I'll buy one.

in the US the M5 has dropped a little - refurbished around $700 but yes, still a little pricey

Nov 13, 2017 at 09:20 PM
rongoe
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Want your opinion on downsizing

6d and 16-35 F4, sometimes with 200 f2.8

Nov 14, 2017 at 12:29 AM
jaybird555
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Want your opinion on downsizing

banky wrote:
Hey everyone-

First, I am mainly a travel photographer. I'm lucky enough to take 2-3 vacations a year and each is a big photo opportunity for me. I don't sell photos but they're my keepsake and used for prints around the house. I rarely use my gear when not traveling. I find my smartphone is enough for everyday life here at home.

I have a 5D4 with 6 lenses. The "holy trinity" of zoom and primes, so 3 zooms and 3 primes. I usually travel with just the body and 3 zooms and a tripod when necessary. I'm young, 32male, but I'm
...Show more
My idea of downsizing...

Nov 14, 2017 at 12:40 AM
johnvanr
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Want your opinion on downsizing

Late to this thread. I think it matters a lot on what you shoot when you travel. If you want tons of flexibility, you either lug all the heavy stuff or get a smaller setup, whether it’s MFT, Fuji or smaller Canon gear.

But you could also just limit what you take, like one DSLR and three primes: 35, 50 and 85 or something like that.

Finally, I’d be stressed out if I had to juggle a camera, a GoPro and a Mavic on my vacation...

Edited on Nov 14, 2017 at 02:45 AM · View previous versions

Nov 14, 2017 at 12:55 AM
OccAeon
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Want your opinion on downsizing

johnvanr wrote:
Finally, I’d be stressed out if I had the juggle a camera, a GoPro and a Mavic on my vacation...

I think you nailed it, here.

If you want to have fun, you can choose video blogging or photography or actually enjoying the trip, but trying to do all three is going to be aggravating.

Nov 14, 2017 at 01:07 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Want your opinion on downsizing

johnvanr

Absolutely. Just 'cos you have all the kit, doesn't mean you always have to take all of it. I can't handle more than one camera system any more. Lots of wasted resources tied up in gear in my opinion, which just makes deciding what to take even harder than it is already.

Nov 16, 2017 at 09:36 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Want your opinion on downsizing

jaybird555 wrote:
My idea of downsizing...

yes, buy every camera system and all the lenses and you're set

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:15 AM
nputtick

p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Want your opinion on downsizing

I’m 64. I have an APS-C system (80d, 10-18,18-135,55-250) and an FF system (5d4, 16-35/4,24-105,70-200/4) and to be honest I prefer the FF and don’t mind carrying it on a “Normal” vacation. I put the two lenses I’m not using in my 20 litre backpack and so hardly notice them. I do have “bigger” lenses and primes for other uses, not for travel. The 80d comes into its own when hiking or cycling, but IQ is just not quite as good, maybe 90% and that’s great for photo books but not large size prints. I also have a little Sony RX100/4 that goes everywhere with me and is ideal for markets, street photography, anything where an slr stands out. We all have different needs and views, but on balance an APS-C system has a lot to recommend it, if I could only have one if would be the 80d. Why not the SL2/200d? No micro focus adjust, important for the longer lenses. With normal or wide angles this is of no real importance. A major question is what do you do with your images? If used for photo books, or computer display, or even 4K TV stills, then a 1” sensor, or M43, or APS-C will be just fine. You only really need a FF system if you are selling your images or printing them large. So be realistic about the end result!!!

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:30 PM
StarNut
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Want your opinion on downsizing

My wife recently bought a Fujifilm X-T2, with its 18-55 kit lens and a 50-140 f/2.8 zoom.

The system weighs exactly half of what my Canon FF equivalent weigh, and are significantly smaller.

I use my equipment very much as you use yours; if i were to want to stop lugging such massive stuff around, I'd go to the Fuji X system.

Keep in mind that a huge portion of the total weight of a camera/lens is the lens. Getting a slightly smaller camera body, while adapting full-sized lenses to that body, won't save you much in either weight or size.

Mark

Nov 19, 2017 at 06:36 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password