New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Want your opinion on downsizing

banky

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Want your opinion on downsizing

Hey everyone-

First, I am mainly a travel photographer. I'm lucky enough to take 2-3 vacations a year and each is a big photo opportunity for me. I don't sell photos but they're my keepsake and used for prints around the house. I rarely use my gear when not traveling. I find my smartphone is enough for everyday life here at home.

I have a 5D4 with 6 lenses. The "holy trinity" of zoom and primes, so 3 zooms and 3 primes. I usually travel with just the body and 3 zooms and a tripod when necessary. I'm young, 32male, but I'm starting to feel indifferent to carrying all of this stuff around when traveling. Yes- I've been able to get amazing shots, but it's also distracting in the sense that it takes me away from "vacation". I sweat a lot when lugging it around, I have a lower back injury so sometimes that becomes aggravated due to the weight, and overall it's just getting kind of annoying.

I didn't mention I like to video blog my travels too so I carry a GoPro and Mavic with me. It's a ton of stuff I carry around.

What would you lot say is the best option for me as far as downsizing my gear, still being able to capture HQ photos for occasional print, and still enjoy my time away from home?

Thoughts that have popped into my mind:
- a Leica non-interchangeable lens (point and shoot?)
- newly announced sony a7r3 (use adaptor for canon lens)
- keep my gear and deal with it

Looking forward to what you guys say..

Nov 08, 2017 at 02:25 PM
Mikehit
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Want your opinion on downsizing

I am sort of in the same boat - a lot of my travel stuff is while away on business and small and light is much preferable.

First thing I would suggest is reduce the lenses you carry - why zooms and primes? the 24-105 and 70-300 f4LIS should do you well. I know it can be daunting to take that first step in reducing the kit but I take the view (now...after man years) that if the camera is not suitable why not just kick back and enjoy the view? I travelled 2 years in the days of film with a 25mm, 50 mm and 180mm and I wonder why I can't do that again.

Regards cameras, I don't think you will save much weight switching to Sony - yes,you will save some but given your back condition it may not be enough of a saving. Have you thought of the Canon M series? If it is mainly landscapes/cityscapes it may well be enough.

I would also strongly suggest trying out an Olympus E-M1 mkii with 12-40 and 40-150 (maybe 7-14 for ultra-wide). I know several pro/semi-pro landscapers who admit DSLR is better but the level of difference is far offset by the smaller kit and the quality is good enough for sales-worthy output.
One example:
http://www.stephenelliottphotography.co.uk/_photo_10408504.html#photos_id=13416762

Or go Panasonic GH5 (or the new G9) if you want to do video.

Nov 08, 2017 at 02:39 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Want your opinion on downsizing

When you figure it out, please let us know.

About a year ago, on a whim, I picked up a little Oly EM1. It was a game-changer for me. When I pick up my 5D now, it fills like a toaster oven.

My rule is that it all has to fit in a bag. But then, there are bags, and then there are BAGS.

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:41 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Want your opinion on downsizing

I use Canon for my big camera stuff — tripod-based landscape photography and wildlife. For the past 5+ years I've been happily using a much smaller Fujifilm system for travel.

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:53 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Want your opinion on downsizing

I'm also primarily a weight conscious travel photographer. I have several Canon kits in different weight categories. Still, for travel to places I've never been, Egypt is coming up, I carry a 5D4 and three lenses. The 24-105 has been my primary lens on one of the 5Ds for over a decade.

I like doing wildlife photography and there's usually always some of that so I usually carry a 100-400 - the 70-200 just isn't long enough. I recently purchased the Sigma 100-400 which weighs more than 3/4 lb less than the Canon. For real wildlife trips, Africa, Central America, I'd take the Canon and teleconverter.

On the wide end I usually just take my Voightlander 20mm prime. Its a 9 oz pancake that packs easily. This kit with the Sigma totals about 7 lbs. If I feel there will be real super wide opportunities, I'll take the 16-35 f4. Wide is not my strong suit so its usually reserved for car travel.

For the Egypt trip my wife is bringing the SL2 and 15-85. Don't know if she'll want any other lenses. The 15-85 is not a light lens but its very versatile on a crop body. It was IMHO too heavy for the SL1 but the SL2 grip is better so its workable. The 10-18 and 55-250 STMs would complete an SL2 kit, about 4 lbs. One could replace the 15-85 with the 35 f2.8 STM macro to total 2.5 lbs.

This will be our first international trip with the SL2 + 15-85 side by side with the 5D4 + 24-105 so I'm looking forward to comparing the trade-offs in mobility and image quality. I used a 70D + 15-85 kit when hiking the Milford Track. The images are not bad but not quite up to a 5D + 24-105. So, much as I'd like to reduce my travel weight, I'll probably stick with the FF kit unless I'm hiking with a pack or other circumstances make it impractical. My G1X has served me well for real backpacking.

Edited on Nov 08, 2017 at 04:33 PM · View previous versions

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:16 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Want your opinion on downsizing

My wife and I have been fortunate enough to take some trips to Europe in the past few years. I was taking my 5D2 kit with me, including a 17-40, 24-70, 70-200, 85mm and 135L. My kit tipped the scales at a little over 20 pounds and took a pretty big bag to haul around.

In addition, I travel frequently for work. I few years ago I bought a Panasonic Lumix LX7 to take with me so I could leave the Canon at home. I have captured some really nice images with the Lumix, but 400 ISO is the limit without the image falling apart. Focus isn't fast and landscapes look pretty grungy.

This got me looking for alternatives. I even looked at the Leica M10 since I have the M3 film camera, but it was way too much money.

A couple of months ago my wife found out she would be taking a business trip to London and Paris and I could tag along. My search for a travel camera started in earnest. I had settled on Fuji and even rented the X-T2 and X-Pro2 to try. I loved shooting with them, but they are still pretty big. Then Fuji announced the X-E3 and I put my name on the pre-order list the night before the official release announcement.

The X-E3 arrived just in time to take on our trip and it has been a revelation. I took three lenses - the 18-55mm kit lens, the 12mm Samyang manual focus and a teeny vintage Nikkor 35mm f3.5 screw mount with an M adapter.

I didn't miss the big kit at all, I was able to capture everything I wanted. There were also some big pluses. Nobody paid attention to my little camera so me street photography was much easier. I also loved the Wi-Fi connectivity. I could easily send my images to my iPad and do daily Facebook postings of our trip. The SOOC JPEGS with both the color and B&W film simulations are great.

I've been shooting Canon since 1971 and I'll always have a soft spot for them, especially FF. However, from now on, they'll stay home with the cats when we travel.

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:23 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Want your opinion on downsizing

The A7R3 weighs 1.45 lbs and the 5D4 weighs 1.75 lbs. Add the adapter weight to the A7R3 and you are probably equivalent to the 5D4. Since you seem to want to keep your Canon lenses that's a wash as well. I don't see much in weight savings. Certainly the camera offers specs and features beyond the 5D4 but the weight savings is not the reason to switch.

Sounds like you want a significant reduction in weight/size. For that you are going to have to make harder choices. Maybe drop down to an A6300/6500 with a much smaller set of native lenses? Canon's M5 with M lenses can be quite compact and light but is not quite as feature full as the Sony A6*** series. Fuji system is there as well with smaller/lighter lenses dedicated to it's cropped bodies.

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:44 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Want your opinion on downsizing

All this depends entirely on the OP's willingness to make concessions to IQ, even if relatively small.

I am a pro photographer and personally unless I'm being paid I don't want to cart around loads of heavy gear that is difficult to pack, get into airport hand luggage and is valuable.

My holiday kit:

Canon SL2, 10-18mm, 18-55mm STM, 55-250STM, 24mm pancake, Eos M3, EF-M 22mm, EF-M 11-22mm. USB charger (same batteries in both cameras), small flash

Nothing much I can't shoot to a decent standard with that (not sport or birds probably) but fits in a small bag and weighs next to nothing.

You have to decide if it's a 'photographic' trip or a trip where you want to take photos.

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:52 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Want your opinion on downsizing

Until recently, my most-used light weight camera kits for personal vacations (as opposed to travel for photography) have been either:

(i) Canon SL1 + 70-200/4L IS and Fujifilm X-E2 + 14/2.8 and 18-55 OIS; or

(ii) Fujifilm X100S and Panasonic LX100 (was Sony X100).

My next trip with a light-weight vacation kit will probably be either two M5 with EF-M lenses, or two SL2 with EF-S lenses. I currently have one M5 and one SL2 (with matching lenses), and I think I'll soon decide which way to go.

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:55 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Want your opinion on downsizing

You're going to have to drop down to a smaller format for significant weight reduction. And carry fewer lenses. I'm okay traveling with just my 6D and 24-105L but add a 70-200 and a few primes and I feel like a pack horse. I owned three M43 and the EOS M3 and, while small and light, I hated the EVF and ergonomics. I imagine the SL2 and 18-55/55-250 combo would be a great travel kit: light, small and with the ease and ergonomics of a DSLR. I've travelled with my SL1 and 18-55/55-250 often wondered if a camera was actually in the bag...

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ggreene
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Want your opinion on downsizing

If I traveled more often I would also be tempted by the RX10ii (24-200/2.8) and/or RX10iv (24-600/4). The IQ I've seen looks great for travel type photos and the convenience of an all in one solution is nice. No multiple lenses to deal with.

Nov 08, 2017 at 05:27 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Want your opinion on downsizing

32? Wait till your are 60 I'd kill to turn 50 again.

Over last few years I picked up a 55-250 and 18-55 STM lenses. I have a 5D4 but only took those two lenses and my 7D2 to Thailand last spring.

If I have a home base like will in Portugal for a month I will bring both bodies and those 2 lenses, 24-70 and 100-400 and pick and choose which to take out daily.

I have a Canon G11 and I just can't get used to shooting wth it and it takes nice shots. Too small and I like the viewfinder. I'll bring it but I don't expect to use it a lot.

Nov 08, 2017 at 05:44 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Want your opinion on downsizing

Zenon Char wrote:
32? Wait till your are 60 I'd kill to turn 50 again.

You are 60? Wait till you are 70. 50s and 60s are just memories of the distant past.

I very seldom shoot with my 500/4L II now and recently acquired a 400/4 DO II to squeeze a little more more mileage out of this tired body

Nov 08, 2017 at 06:27 PM
rkgatteleport
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Want your opinion on downsizing

Hi,

Between airline issues (the real risk of having to gate check your carry on (disparaging comments about baggage handling personnel deleted) and my back going out (its become decidedly un-fun/painful to schlep a couple of full size bodies and a bunch'o L glass around), I've been struggling with this same problem.

What is sometimes helpful to do is comb through your images and see what focal lengths you usually shoot at. Once you know that, its usually easier to decide what (not) to carry...

Based on that, I've actually been just taking an old SL1 with a 17-55 and a white whale (70-200) (I should probably get a 100-400 or one of the little long zooms, but I like the isolation you can get with a 2.8 long lens, sooo..) . the SL1's high iso performance is pathetic (I hope the SL2's is better as I was thinking of upgrading before an upcoming Japan trip), but for most travel stuff it doesn't matter that much.

I'm also probably going to add a couple of cheep lenses next time around - canon's plastic 10-18 (the effective f/5.6 absolutely sucks, but the lens is surprisingly sharp), and their new little 35mm macro (it seems to make a pretty good carry around/spare lens - the built-in light is kind of useless, but the bokeh is great/you can focus really closely - here's some shots I got with it:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Kod%C3%B4gu-no-Sekai-%E5%B0%8F%E9%81%93%E5%85%B7%E3%81%AE%E4%B8%96%E7%95%8C-266005023454853/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1390202541035090

and its pretty good for video as well

But I digress..).

If you've video blogging, I just love those cool shots people are getting with those little drones - I keep looking longingly at a DJI spark, but I'm guessing that would be far more trouble than its worth - bad enough to be the only guy in the crowd with a "real" camera to begin with.

Good luck with your choice.

rkg
(Richard George)

Nov 08, 2017 at 06:54 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Want your opinion on downsizing

riokid wrote:
You are 60? Wait till you are 70. 50s and 60s are just memories of the distant past.

I very seldom shoot with my 500/4L II now and recently acquired a 400/4 DO II to squeeze a little more more mileage out of this tired body

I can't even imagine. I have decided on that lens and my wife and have been talking about it. She wants a new kitchen which may happen next spring. I said maybe I'll get a used one and she said just buy a new one I almost fell out my slippers.

Nov 08, 2017 at 06:56 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Want your opinion on downsizing

I'm 70 and thankfully can still manage 7 or 8 lbs of camera gear without any ill effects. I think a lot of these kinds of decisions depend on the intent of your travel. I like to travel to interesting and hopefully scenic places and photography is a large part of the experience. If I were doing photography for a living I might think differently about it. It would seem a shame to go to some of these places and not capture it as well as I can. When I'm home and the images come up on my screen saver I relive the things I've seen and never think about carrying the camera.

Nov 08, 2017 at 06:57 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Want your opinion on downsizing

Jeff Nolten wrote:
I'm 70 and thankfully can still manage 7 or 8 lbs of camera gear without any ill effects. I think a lot of these kinds of decisions depend on the intent of your travel. I like to travel to interesting and hopefully scenic places and photography is a large part of the experience. If I were doing photography for a living I might think differently about it. It would seem a shame to go to some of these places and not capture it as well as I can. When I'm home and the images come up on my
...Show more

I only took my 7D2 and STM lenses to Thailand because we were the move a lot and we walked a lot. We spent several days in Hong Kong as well. Outside of that I hate not having my best gear with me.

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:16 PM
gfiksel
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Want your opinion on downsizing

Canon M6 + EF-M 22mm/f2 + EF-S 55-250 w adapter.
Nothing beats this system for the superb combination of quality, versatility, size, and weight.

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:22 PM
banky

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Want your opinion on downsizing

Thanks for the tons and tons of great replies.

I think its obvious to me now switching to Sony has no real advantage for me.

An interesting thought is the Canon series, maybe an M6 (top of the line?) Will I need an adaptor to use all my L glass or is it EF compatible out of the box? Has anyone gone this route and can tell me if I'll notice a drastic drop in IQ?

Someone said something pretty interesting about how much IQ I'm willing to sacrifice.. I'm not sure if I can answer that question yet, having enjoyed my 5D4 for about a year and a 6D at launch. Ive been fortunate to have good IQ experience the past few years that sacrificing too much of it may not be something I want..

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:03 PM
rek101
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Want your opinion on downsizing

I would think you find one setup that works for video and stills, like a sony a7III. Get one good f/4 zoom and one fast prime. Everything will be stabilized so video would work fine, you'd have good image quality and you bring a small power brick so you can keep it charged. You give up autofocus on moving subjects, but you get just about everything else you need.

What I do is use a 5d III with the pancake and bring the 24 70 f/2.8 II in a padded lunchbox. The battery charger fits, but that's it for accessories. The pancake is what I bring if I'm walking someplace, and the zoom is what I use if I care about image quality. But it would never work for video, it's still heavy, and 70 isn't exactly going to work for sports or a zoomed in headshot.

Edited on Nov 08, 2017 at 09:27 PM · View previous versions

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:18 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password