Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

What did a Canon 1DSMK2 cost new when introduced in 2004?

John Power
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What did a Canon 1DSMK2 cost new when introduced in 2004?

Simple question.

Nov 08, 2017 at 01:33 PM
M. Best
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What did a Canon 1DSMK2 cost new when introduced in 2004?

Wasn’t it $7999?

Nov 08, 2017 at 02:38 PM
Mikehit
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What did a Canon 1DSMK2 cost new when introduced in 2004?

Yep - 8,000

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/1dsii.htm

I also found this quote from the time
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/canon-eos-1ds-mk-ii-60823/review

This means that for an investment of £6,000 - not an outrageous sum when you consider that a single image could easily return that in a year - the door could be opened to a lucrative career as a stock photographer

Single image? 6,000? My....how things have changed.

Nov 08, 2017 at 02:44 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What did a Canon 1DSMK2 cost new when introduced in 2004?

Mikehit wrote:
Yep - 8,000

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/canon-eos-1ds-mk-ii-60823/review

Back in the day, when we had stock books from Corbis. Rights managed images were (and still are) pretty costly.

Nov 08, 2017 at 02:47 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What did a Canon 1DSMK2 cost new when introduced in 2004?

All the 1Ds series bodies were $8K.

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:37 PM
technic
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What did a Canon 1DSMK2 cost new when introduced in 2004?

Mikehit wrote:
Yep - 8,000

Huge changes indeed, more than most people expected probably. Financial planning for this kind of changes is difficult ;-)

In the late nineties and early 2000's many (semi-)professionals were buying digital cameras hand over fist, even $10.000 for a semi-pro camera or $1000-2000 for a simple compact wasn't a problem because the newest ones often paid for themselves in a very short time for e.g. film/animation production, product photography, news, travel photography etc. That stopped around 2003 mostly due to arrival of affordable and 'good enough' DSLRs and now a similar situation has developed for those DSLRs: frequent upgrading no longer makes sense financially except for a very small group who need to push the limits of what is technically possible.

Over the same time period the value of the average 'stock photo' has dropped dramatically, and having the latest digital camera gear provides very little competitive advantage for most pro photographers.

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:47 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What did a Canon 1DSMK2 cost new when introduced in 2004?

I loved the sound of the shutter... sounded like a "real" camera. The 1DS2 was my first full-frame digital camera. I loved the look of the images; sometimes even more so than my current generation of cameras.

Nov 08, 2017 at 05:11 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What did a Canon 1DSMK2 cost new when introduced in 2004?

$8K for the 1Ds classic. I was desperate to escape APS-C but waited until used prices hit $4K. Got 10 years of studio use out of it, so no complaints. I pick it off the shelf to remind myself what a real camera feels like.

Nov 08, 2017 at 11:39 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What did a Canon 1DSMK2 cost new when introduced in 2004?

In Austfalia it cost $13999 RRP.

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:17 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What did a Canon 1DSMK2 cost new when introduced in 2004?

You can buy it now on eBay for $699

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What did a Canon 1DSMK2 cost new when introduced in 2004?

I bought a old but still working 6MP Kodak DCS460 for $100. The new cost was $35,600. Prices have dropped as cameras become a commodity.

Nov 09, 2017 at 05:48 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What did a Canon 1DSMK2 cost new when introduced in 2004?

Ralph Thompson wrote:
I loved the sound of the shutter... sounded like a "real" camera. The 1DS2 was my first full-frame digital camera. I loved the look of the images; sometimes even more so than my current generation of cameras.

Oh yeah, the sound of the shutter from the 1D cameras of that generation... it was enough to instill irrational craving, more so because only very few, truly elite photographers could justify/afford these cameras - mostly bigshot agency luminaries. These were the natural beacon for a newbie like myself, both quality-wise and equipment-wise.

Years later, when I finally managed to afford a used 1D Mark II N, that Freudian complex of mine has been resolved. Unfortunately, ever since that, I got addicted to 1D goodness.

Nov 09, 2017 at 10:04 AM
John Power
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What did a Canon 1DSMK2 cost new when introduced in 2004?

I don't think any product depreciates as much with the passage of time as digital cameras. Maybe cars....?

Nov 09, 2017 at 12:34 PM
MintMar
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What did a Canon 1DSMK2 cost new when introduced in 2004?

John Power wrote:
I don't think any product depreciates as much with the passage of time as digital cameras. Maybe cars....?

Computers. Mobile phones. Maybe even faster. But one can still use "yesterday's bleeding edge" for cheap today and save money.

Yeah, in case of cameras the "moral obsolescence" played well for me. I got to buy 1D2N in 2009 for ~10% of the price when announced new. Then I used it for another 6 years when AF and/or FPS were crucial.

I still have it, but about 3 years it only has the nostalgia value. But it still works. And the NiMH battery cells are replaceable by eneloops, then it holds out "forever"

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:03 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What did a Canon 1DSMK2 cost new when introduced in 2004?

Still using my 1Ds3 very regularly, partly because it cost so much back in 2008 but mainly because it does it's job so well and is worth so little. It has the best low ISO IQ of any of my cameras.

In some ways it's simplicity of operation compared with newer cameras is a benefit, especially under pressure, although not the dust removal system, which I am sure is just lying to me.

Nov 09, 2017 at 02:11 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What did a Canon 1DSMK2 cost new when introduced in 2004?

Kodak DCS Pro SLR/C ... FF, 14MP ($5,000 new) for $800 about 8 years ago.
Paired well with my 1D2N, with one for slow, one for go.

Who knows what one would go for today.

Just don't expect high iso miracles. Definitely performs best at base ISO, for which the images are very nicely rewarded. No AA filter, either. Too bad it was avante garde and Kodak couldn't make a go of things. Imo, it's kinda the Edsel of FF digital cameras. Great camera, poor market timing.

Of course, finding one today is a totally different matter.

Nov 09, 2017 at 02:18 PM
technic
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What did a Canon 1DSMK2 cost new when introduced in 2004?

RustyBug wrote:
Kodak DCS Pro SLR/C ... FF, 14MP ($5,000 new) for $800 about 8 years ago.
Paired well with my 1D2N, with one for slow, one for go.

Who knows what one would go for today.

Just don't expect high iso miracles. Definitely performs best at base ISO, for which the images are very nicely rewarded. No AA filter, either. Too bad it was avante garde and Kodak couldn't make a go of things. Imo, it's kinda the Edsel of FF digital cameras. Great camera, poor market timing.

Of course, finding one today is a totally different matter.

At some point prices for digital cameras that were better than average go up again, for the few working ones that still exist (just like with classic cars). And keeping those oldies working can become expensive. I purchased my first Sony DSC-F717 in 2002 for around 1400 euros and several other copies in later years for much lower price, mostly for IR conversion. The last one cost me just 30 euros and at the time it was better than most new cameras costing 5-10x more.

Maybe I should buy one again, even if it doesn't work it's a good start for a private design museum ;-)

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:04 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What did a Canon 1DSMK2 cost new when introduced in 2004?

For me the 1DIIn and the 1DsII were, in many ways, the acme of my shooting experience. I'm the son, grandson, great grandson… of tool users. When I first grasped a battered 1DIIn, I knew "This is what a real camera feels like." I was amazed how far beyond the 20D it was. The pair had the same batteries, same interface, same excellent results. In fact all of my zooms at that time even had the same size lens cap. I still believe that the 1DsII produced some of the finest images I've ever created.

For years I couldn't afford anything close to new. I developed the strategy of watching after a new release while I held on to my existing 2 generation back cam waiting for the price drop on my camera against that of a camera only one gen back. If I hit it right, the delta would be less than $1K. This made it possible for me to own fairly new gear.

I'm been utterly amazed at how "worthless" a 1 gen old camera became the moment the latest model was introduced. It was like anything older was struck down by the great canon god. As my skill improved and my work became more demanding, upgrading was driven by the need for higher ISO, faster fps, and better AF.

My first new cameras - after that long ago 20D - were the 1DxII and the 5DIV. I've deliberately bought into the latest because I can't see how incremental changes will fundamentally alter my ability to work. >Pixels ≠ >Image.

Sure, there are always things I'd like to see - say an all singing, all dancing, all sexy cam that also makes a righteous cup of coffee. Meanwhile I keep clicking away.

Nov 09, 2017 at 05:33 PM
John Power
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What did a Canon 1DSMK2 cost new when introduced in 2004?

My main complaint is that the newer cameras inundates you with all these clever "features" that I do not want or use. Even if I do not use them e.g. the "toy camera" effect, it bugs me that they are there cluttering up the menu.

I currently have only the Canon G5X for its convenience and video capabilities as a travel camera since I only need it for snapshots but it is nothing like the simplicity and quality of my old 1D2N (my favorite, 8 megapixels notwithstanding); 1DSMK2 and even 5D.

I check the B&S everyday because I will be eventually get another DSLR but I am in no rush. Maybe when the 5D3 comes in at under a grand I will make the leap.

Nov 09, 2017 at 07:10 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What did a Canon 1DSMK2 cost new when introduced in 2004?

John Power wrote:
My main complaint is that the newer cameras inundates you with all these clever "features" that I do not want or use. Even if I do not use them e.g. the "toy camera" effect, it bugs me that they are there cluttering up the menu.

I currently have only the Canon G5X for its convenience and video capabilities as a travel camera since I only need it for snapshots but it is nothing like the simplicity and quality of my old 1D2N (my favorite, 8 megapixels notwithstanding); 1DSMK2 and even 5D.

I check the B&S everyday because I will be eventually
...Show more

That's why I said I like the simplicity of the 1Ds3 interface, it's simple but effective. I know where everything is, I know there is no AF in liveview, which suits me, I love the professional instantaneous clack of the mirrorbox

Nov 10, 2017 at 08:00 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password