Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Can you shoot BIF with electronic shutter?

johnvanr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can you shoot BIF with electronic shutter?

The new Panasonic does 20fps with CAF and electronic shutter, but only 9fps with its mechanical shutter. I remember seeing hummingbirds with funny wing shapes when shot with the EM1 II electronic shutter.

Does this mean that for other wing movements an electronic shutter is also a no-no, in which case the Panasonic holds no appeal to me.

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:03 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can you shoot BIF with electronic shutter?

I will depend on the sensor readout speed.

Hummingbirds are one of the few things I have seen shot with the E-M1.2's electronic shutter that show the rolling shutter effect. Most other BIF shots with electronic shutter does not show it, simply because most other birds don't flap their wings that fast.

A quick answer right now, judging from the fact that the G9 also does 60fps max frame rate is that it has the same sensor speed as the E-M1.2 which is a slight let down for me, was hoping they would have been able to catch up to Sony A9's readout speed.

Nothing is known yet though, Panasonic them selves say it's much faster. It should be faster then the GH5 which was only around 1/20th of a second I believe and the E-M1.2 is 1/60th if I remember correct.

So, if you are shooting hummers it might be a problem. If shooting most other birds or wildlife, most likely not. But wait and see. Hopefully, in the two months before it is released, we will see some more reviews of it.

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:15 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can you shoot BIF with electronic shutter?

The Sony A9 has a "full frame" readout speed of 1/150 sec with the fully electronic shutter. The A9 with the mechanical shutter, with a slit moving vertically across the frame, gives a readout speed of 1/300 sec. The readout speed of the A9 is achieved with the stacked sensor technology.

The fully electronic shutter of the A9 works in conjunction with a function to counter rolling shutter effects, which works with golf clubs, etc. If it works with hummingbirds, I don't know.

I guess we will have to wait for tests of the electronic shutter in the Panasonic G9. It seems to me that the Panasonic G9 may be an m43 competitor to the Sony A9 and high end DSLRs, so maybe they've improved the electronic shutter? Anyway 9 fps with the mechanical shutter doesn't sound to bad, for me that is.

Nov 08, 2017 at 10:31 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can you shoot BIF with electronic shutter?

bjornthun wrote:
The Sony A9 has a "full frame" readout speed of 1/150 sec with the fully electronic shutter. The A9 with the mechanical shutter, with a slit moving vertically across the frame, gives a readout speed of 1/300 sec. The readout speed of the A9 is achieved with the stacked sensor technology.

The fully electronic shutter of the A9 works in conjunction with a function to counter rolling shutter effects, which works with golf clubs, etc. If it works with hummingbirds, I don't know.

I guess we will have to wait for tests of the electronic shutter in the Panasonic G9. It
...Show more

Quote: If it works with hummingbirds, I don't know.

I have been shooting Hummingbirds in Flight (HIFs) all summer with the electronic shutter of the A9.
No real problem. Almost no rolling shutter artifacts. When it happens, very innocuous, barely noticeable.

By contrast the silent shutter of the E-M1.2 produces way too many very pronounced rolling shutter artifacts for HIFs.
https://photos.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-by-Date/2017-05-08-E-M1230040-PRO-Hummers-New-FW/i-KJWpnDC/0/15b1f774/XL/_5086183%20Rolling%20Silent%20Shutter%20Hummingbird%20Salute_2900x2900-XL.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-by-Date/2017-05-06-E-M1230028-SHGEC-20-Hummers-House-Finches-Ants/i-drP8WKK/1/18bc1103/X2/_5065678%20Hummer%20Wing%20distorted_4562x3673_2281x1837-X2.jpg
It happens even for Bluebirds in Flight BIFs.
https://photos.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-by-Date/2017-10-26-E-M1230040-PRO-Backyards-Birds-Rolling-Shutter/i-VLFg4q9/1/ee19eb64/XL/_A267122%20Rolling%20shutter%20artifacts_3748x3046_2658x2160-XL.jpg

K-H.

Nov 08, 2017 at 08:50 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can you shoot BIF with electronic shutter?

Thanks for the examples K-H!

I still love your first hummer photo there, it really shows the rolling shutter.

It's nice to know the A9 works better as it will trickle down in the industry. The question is wether the G9 is good enough. I am still guessing it will have the same read out speed of the E-M1.2.

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:05 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.