New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

2.8 Fast enough for night sports?

NCAndy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 2.8 Fast enough for night sports?

TeamSpeed wrote:
I shoot at ISO 16000, sometimes up to 25600 in rare cases.

At 1/2000s and f3.2 you need 1.3 stops more ISO. So 16K+ would be about right. For HS in my experience, 1/1000s is usually fast enough, though I'd like a little more DOF at times than f2.8 provides. It's all what works. I like the color a bit better at 8K ISO than at 16K.

Nov 09, 2017 at 12:56 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 2.8 Fast enough for night sports?

These players move a bit faster than high school or college, and through the years I have moved up to 1/2000. I started at 1/800th and each season adjusted until I had something that worked. I feel my colors are fine as well.

Last year's shots, I haven't processed last nights images yet...

ISO 16000

ISO 20K

A rare 25600

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:22 AM
ryoung

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 2.8 Fast enough for night sports?

Thank you for all the replies! Going to purchase a 70-200 2.8 and go from there!

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:47 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 2.8 Fast enough for night sports?

Got a few keepers from last night, good thing I didn't overwrite the C3 setting from last year. An f2.8 lens is definitely a minimum requirement!

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:10 AM
rstoddard11
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 2.8 Fast enough for night sports?

Good points. I do also really like the 200 2.8 II prime and find it to be great at 1/640 and above for shutter speed.

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

scalesusa
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 2.8 Fast enough for night sports?

Getting the f/2.8 lens would be a good step. While you can go to FF, you will then need a longer lens to get the same FOV, perhaps a 300mm f/2.8. That starts getting expensive.

So, unless you have a big budget, you will definitely benefit from the extra stop, and can use the 1D MK IV reliably at ISO 3200 and usually ISO 6400. 12800 is pushing a little beyond the limit, but I've managed some usable photos with my 1D MK IV at 12800.

Nov 12, 2017 at 05:58 AM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 2.8 Fast enough for night sports?

Why aren't you using a monopod? f/2.8 will help and a monopod will help a lot more than "steady hands".
Regularly shoot in poorly lit HS fields with a 400mm f/2.8 and get good results. 1DMkIV, 1DMkIII, 1DMkIIn, 6D, 1DsMkIII.
Shoot at higher ISO settings and live with the digital noise. When we were shooting Tri-X and pushing we had grain. We lived with it. Just part of low light sports photography and in many cases it adds to the atmosphere of the games. Kind of like the difference in shooting on grass fields in sloppy conditions compared to shooting on artificial turf/carpet. The slop, mud and grass stains add to the images while the carpet is just too clean.

Nov 12, 2017 at 03:24 PM
ryoung

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 2.8 Fast enough for night sports?

I use a monopod as well when I can, forgot to mention that. That's impressive you use your 1DS III for night sports, I have one as well but never thought of pushing the ISO that far on that body. For daytime sports such as track and cross country, I do love my 1DsIII over any of my other bodies!

Nov 12, 2017 at 04:56 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 2.8 Fast enough for night sports?

Thereís dark, then thereís black as the ace of spades. Town battered by closure of the mine - still hanging on. Iím the only credentialed reporter/photog in town. I cover high school sports for the weekly paper mostly as a community service. Certainly itís not done for the money. The school and its facilities were built ≈50 years ago. Deferred maintenance is endemic.

The football fieldĎs lights were donated by ASU 40 years ago. They had been used at their practice field. Approximately 25% of the light bulbs are out creating patchy and in places dark areas.

With the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, Iíve tried shooting with lower ISO but it just doesnít work. Iím forced to shoot at ISO 25600, Av 2.8, Tv 500 which was the biggest reason for the mortgage I took out to get a 1Dx vII. Iíve gone to flash and when I can catch the action with a flash thereís enough light. Unfortunately flash has its own problem.

The first pix shows action about 30 yards away when flash caught it. As you can see thereís light, but the cost is lots of noise, significant corona, and shadow created beyond the subject. This pix is heavily edited with a lot of NR. Not a great photo but works for the newspaper.

In the next two shots, the player was on the sidelines in the best light on the field. The first is RAW, the second as edited. Itís OK but still a lot of noise. In each example Iíve had to go to Ps to make them acceptable. One of the biggest challenges is keeping the pix from looking too ďplastic.Ē Iíve tried using my 135mm f/2.0 but itís just not flexible enough. I donít expect in this lifetime to have a 300mm f/2.0 - worth more than my truck.

VB is in the field house. I donít flash here. Iím not sure what type of lighting it has, but the color cycling is insane. Three of the ten lights are out and two others have lost their fresnels. Two of them are clustered at the east end. Losing the 3rd light this year has really hurt. To make it more interesting, VB game start times vary from 5:00 to 7:00. Early in the season and early in the evening allows some natural light from the west windows. Of course, the sun is setting which makes it even more fun.

The first VB pix is RAW and the second is after PP. You can see the noise and despite careful NR the girlís face has gone plastic. Also note that even with ISO 25600 at Tv 640 I really havenít stopped the ballís motion.

The 70-200mm f/2.8 and the 24-70 f/2.8 just arenít fast enough to do the job. Iím going back to my 85mm f/1.8 and the 135mm f/2.0 for basketball. I need everything I can get.

So I guess the take away is this: The light is everything. The darker it is the faster the lens must be. One is further constrained by the necessary Tv to catch the action. Oh, FWIW, I offer every summer to climb 30í up to change the gym lights and strap on my linesman belt for the field. Supposedly, not enough $$ for scaffolding and bulbs.

Nice action but heavy PP visible.

Best of light but so much noise.

Best I could get out of it. Frustrating sometimes.

Caught the moment - butÖ

Ok butÖ

Nov 12, 2017 at 06:18 PM
DAphoto77
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 2.8 Fast enough for night sports?

I used to shoot HS football. The end zones were very dark at some fields where I used flash to get good head on pictures. I also metered under field lights to find the bright spots on the field and shot there when I could. This then was at ISO 3200 as I was using film before digital.

Nov 12, 2017 at 11:31 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password