New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

A7 II user - 1-2 primes for traveling?

uscmatt99
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · A7 II user - 1-2 primes for traveling?

I love the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 lens on the native A7ii, only need a helicoid adapter, no corrective front filters or sensor modifications. Great look at f/1.2-1.4, and sharpens up well by 2.8, a razor at f/5.6, at least on the 24mp sensor. If I had to choose just one lens to take on a trip it would be that one. My favorite lens for the night market scene when we go to Asia. It's dense and heavy, but unassuming with a 52mm front filter and short but comfortable body.

Not sure how your friend shoots, but she could add a 55/1.8 or 85/1.8 with AF for tighter shots, and just stitch to go wider. If she truly wants wider, then options I'd consider are the Lox 21, Batis 18, or Batis 25.

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:50 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · A7 II user - 1-2 primes for traveling?

'Without any context'

Even in India, opportunities range across the board. You need to know more, a lot more. How serious is she, what does she want to see in the images upon her return, is it a relaxing trip or a well-planned strong itinerary she has set out for it. What range of subject matter. Light conditions, day or night. What breakdown of people, places, monuments, villages, nature. What actual places - cities and countryside. Rajasthan, Agra, Varanasi, Kerala, Goa, Jaipur? You have to know to advise sensibly.

Check the travel advisories before leaving, Delhi rivals the giant Chinese megalopolises for air pollution, and we are not talking just a little difficulty breathing, folks. Bombay is not much better.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/11/07/indias-capital-is-struggling-to-breathe-as-pollution-levels-soar/?utm_term=.b485b797c416

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-08/new-delhi-pollution-prompts-emergency-school-closures/9128592

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:41 PM
rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · A7 II user - 1-2 primes for traveling?

I don't own them, but the pair I would select for AF are the Sony FE 28/2 and 50/2.8 macro. Personally, I travel with the CZ D28/2.8 C/Y and the P50/1.4 C/Y. I always add the S100 to form the Travelling Trinity of Contax.

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:22 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · A7 II user - 1-2 primes for traveling?

philip_pj wrote:
'Without any context'

Even in India, opportunities range across the board. You need to know more, a lot more. How serious is she, what does she want to see in the images upon her return, is it a relaxing trip or a well-planned strong itinerary she has set out for it. What range of subject matter. Light conditions, day or night. What breakdown of people, places, monuments, villages, nature. What actual places - cities and countryside. Rajasthan, Agra, Varanasi, Kerala, Goa, Jaipur? You have to know to advise sensibly.

Check the travel advisories before leaving, Delhi rivals the giant Chinese megalopolises for
...Show more

All of this is excellent advice. Some more context - my friend was born and raised in India and moved to the U.S. about 20 years ago. I've been there many times as my parents are from there, and my wife was born there. Both my friend and I are familiar with the challenges, though you're absolutely correct in pointing out that pollution is out of control - it's been getting worse and worse. I always tell my anti-EPA friends to visit parts of India and China to see where an absence of effective environmental regulation gets you - I was there in 2003 (Kolkata and the Bardhaman district to northwest) and the air was already utterly unbreathable even in certain rural areas, such as in the village where my dad was born.

She'll be in Kolkata, and I think the trip will be a combination of visiting family/friends and opportunistically stepping out to take pictures. There will probably also be some family portraits in the mix. She has an 85mm f/1.8 and a 14-24 (I think) for her Nikon camera which she's not taking. Her passion is landscapes but she shoots a lot of portrait and event images at local festivals. The principal appeal of the Sony camera for her is its light weight, so I think any lens choices would need to preserve that aspect. As such, native zooms are disqualified outright. So far I am liking the suggestions of the 28 f/2 and 55 f/1.8 (which I have as well). I might suggest that along with the 35 f/2.8 and 85 f/1.8 (I have the Sony version).

Thanks to all for their incredibly helpful advice. I love you guys!

Nov 09, 2017 at 07:32 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · A7 II user - 1-2 primes for traveling?

I do believe for her, the 55/1.8 and 28/2 and 85/2.8. All are fast enough and she is familiar with the 85mm focal length from before. I hope she has a great trip, it is still very much a safe country full of excellent people.

Nov 09, 2017 at 09:18 AM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · A7 II user - 1-2 primes for traveling?

Batis 25/2 for sure. I owned the 28/2.8FE and it's difficult to use in low light situations. The Batis 25 is by no means the ultimate low light solution, but that extra stop is really useful. It's relatively small and light as well.

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:58 AM
elizabeth77

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · A7 II user - 1-2 primes for traveling?

Arka wrote:
All of this is excellent advice. Some more context - my friend was born and raised in India and moved to the U.S. about 20 years ago. I've been there many times as my parents are from there, and my wife was born there. Both my friend and I are familiar with the challenges, though you're absolutely correct in pointing out that pollution is out of control - it's been getting worse and worse. I always tell my anti-EPA friends to visit parts of India and China to see where an absence of effective environmental regulation gets you - I
...Show more

I was just going to say how variable an India trip could be as it affects what I personally would take.

If she loves landscapes, even though it doesn't sound like she'll be traveling around and have a lot of opportunity here, I would suggest (obv) a wider lens at the FL she prefers for landscapes. For me, I like a wide landscape so it'd be 21mm or wider; in this case I'd take the Loxia 21mm. If 28mm is wide enough for her the f/2 is great for travel. But any landscape shooter should have a dedicated lens. I'm not even a landscape shooter and I get squirrely on a trip if there are beautiful landscapes and I can't get really wide.

Past that I think the FE55 1.8 is great all-round and super-sharp and then I'd bring the 85 1.8. I have the GM but have tested all the native 85s and the smaller FE is a really strong lens for the price. This way she is covered for the family and walking around.

This still depends on shooting style and her favored FL but you can see the conclusions in everyone's advice are quite similar.

Me personally, my ultra-casual travel kit if I don't need tele and do want portraits is the 24-70 GM plus a small ultrawide and an 85mm.... but I long since got over aversion to zooms and the 24-70 doesn't feel big to me anymore.

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:07 PM
Michael Everet
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · A7 II user - 1-2 primes for traveling?

Let me just say that if any 85 is under consideration, as several people have mentioned the Batis 85, I would go with the Sony 85/1.8. I have had both, and while the Batis is marginally better, mainly in contrast, there's not much difference in sharpness, and most important for her, the Sony 85 is a lot smaller.

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

grahamgibson
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · A7 II user - 1-2 primes for traveling?

I know you asked about primes, but I think the Sony 16-35/4 paired with the 55/1.8 is worth considering as well. The ultrawide's performance is quite excellent, especially at the wider end, and it compliments the 55/1.8 nicely for a 2-lens travel kit. It's not as small as pairing with a 28/2 (which I also own), but it is vastly more flexible.

Nov 10, 2017 at 01:15 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · A7 II user - 1-2 primes for traveling?

McCurry has done more in India than anyone else, he used (maybe still uses) a 24-70mm. He also saw a lot of it before the population got out of hand. When I first went there - a time closer to the end of the Raj than to today - there were 665 million in India. Now - 1,345 million.

Add a huge load of airborne particulates, natural UV and dust from the Gangetic Plain, low rainfall, a predominantly village based agrarian rural society, urban clutter on a mind-boggling scale. Very wide angles are 'use case' lenses for travel purposes in such places. I'd not find more than marginal use for wider than 25mm. Make the lenses earn their place, know why you carry them and what you will shoot with them.

Nov 10, 2017 at 01:40 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · A7 II user - 1-2 primes for traveling?

Michael Everet wrote:
Let me just say that if any 85 is under consideration, as several people have mentioned the Batis 85, I would go with the Sony 85/1.8. I have had both, and while the Batis is marginally better, mainly in contrast, there's not much difference in sharpness, and most important for her, the Sony 85 is a lot smaller.

I totally agree. I have the 85 FE myself and much preferred it to the Batis for reasons of size alone. I also didn't see enough of a difference in the image quality to warrant spending twice as much on a bigger lens. I imagine my friend would agree.

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:20 AM
joanlvh
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · A7 II user - 1-2 primes for traveling?

ZM 50 1.5 and if u like a Techarts Pro!

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:26 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · A7 II user - 1-2 primes for traveling?

philip_pj wrote:
McCurry has done more in India than anyone else, he used (maybe still uses) a 24-70mm. He also saw a lot of it before the population got out of hand. When I first went there - a time closer to the end of the Raj than to today - there were 665 million in India. Now - 1,345 million.

Add a huge load of airborne particulates, natural UV and dust from the Gangetic Plain, low rainfall, a predominantly village based agrarian rural society, urban clutter on a mind-boggling scale. Very wide angles are 'use case' lenses for travel purposes in
...Show more

Too true. If I were to go to India today I would bring along a 21 Ultron, 35 or 50 Summilux, and 75 Summilux (or maybe the FE 85). I doubt I would use the 21 much but my wife has shot some pretty impressive wide angles in India, so I wouldn't rule it out - it's pretty lightweight anyway. For street work, I think a fast 35/50 and 75/85 would more than suffice. The last time I went I took a 24-70 and a 70-200, and came away with a lot of really nice family portraits... images that proved quite valuable to the family since many of the subjects have since passed away. If I were to go again now, I'd probably do that again (mostly with a 75/85 lens)

I've been going to India since the 80s. I remember my trips in 1984 and 1988, when the air was still breathable but electricity and clean water were hard to come by, and Western comforts were largely unavailable. Anything we would bring with us from the U.S. would treated like a treasured bauble... even breakfast cereals and toothpaste. But by 2000 globalization had firmly taken hold - you could get anything you wanted anywhere. Villages that only a decade ago didn't have electricity were filled with TVs hooked up to cable networks. Mango groves and rice paddies where my dad used to play as a kid were replaced with small iron smelters that would emit black coal smoke into the sky. In parts of Bardhaman, there were factories the size of small cities, and the sun would set by 2PM.. you could barely tell the difference between evening mist and coal smoke from cooking stoves. It's gotten far worse (a thing that is hard for me to even imagine given how bad it was 13 years ago).

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:30 AM
patotts
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · A7 II user - 1-2 primes for traveling?

I actually like this idea - A7xxx body and the new Voigtlander 40/1.2. And be there.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2017/11/10/one-camera-one-lens-a-sony-a9-with-a-voigtlander-40mm-f1-2-by-chad-wadsworth/

Nov 11, 2017 at 12:08 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · A7 II user - 1-2 primes for traveling?

If the cap fits, best to wear it. For some the one camera / one lens deal is a romantic and seductive sunlit boulevarde of purposeful shooting and singularity of mental focus, hearkening back to days of greater simplicity and innocence.

For others it's a blind alley of restriction and deprivation, of opportunities that melted into the air with the sombre realization that the tool was too narrow in focus and plucked but a few of the many golden images life had to offer in those moments.

It's personal philosophy as much as anything else. Most of us veer from extreme to extreme over the years, and settle on what works for what we do. 3-4 carefully chosen lenses gets to 'be there'. The best photographers are greedy for great images and the best photography has a tool for every important opportunity our vision apprehends.

The article is look at me material, unfortunately; celebrity is a curse, esp when you need to tell people about it.

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:36 PM
Jacky5555

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · A7 II user - 1-2 primes for traveling?

mine are batis 25 and zony 55

Nov 14, 2017 at 03:45 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password