Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Ultra wide angle lens....on a crop body.

TooManyShots
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ultra wide angle lens....on a crop body.

My current widest lens is the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 ART. I was intrigued by the Tokina 11-16 because there were few times I was hoping my Sigma was wider. Overall, the lens does what it is supposed to do. I really want to try out the Tokina but not sure if I am wasting money. What if I didn't find the ultra wide angle useful or only useful in only few occasions.

Did you think you would like and need an ultra wide angle lens but ending up not using it and selling the lens?? I understand that in most of the time, you need a strong foreground subject to make the shot effective and you have to shoot very, very close too. Does it get boring after a while

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:36 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ultra wide angle lens....on a crop body.

I think it's strongly based on personal preferences, types of work, etc. Do you have the ability to count up the focal lengths in your image collections? If so, did you make a lot of wide angle and ultra-wide angle photographs?

On full frame, the widest lens I had that I kept for any length of time was a 21mm Zeiss Distagon, which is not even close to "ultra-wide" today, but was too wide for me judging by how few photographs I have at that focal length. I'm now using an APS-C sensor (Fuji X-T2) and the widest lens I have is my 14mm -- a fabulously good lens that is right up there with the Distagon I used on full frame, and which I use just about as much.

Clearly I'm not an ultra-wide angle fanatic!

Nov 08, 2017 at 12:16 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ultra wide angle lens....on a crop body.

It's definitely personal preference. I love wide angle work, and while 16mm (full frame) is my current widest non-fisheye lens, and is generally wide enough for me, I certainly sometimes want wider (and have used as wide as the Voigtlander 10mm on full frame, which is insanely wide and can definitely be a challenge to compose with).

Nov 08, 2017 at 12:27 AM
AmbientMike
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ultra wide angle lens....on a crop body.

I definitely like and want an uwa. I have used the 11-16 for years.

Nov 08, 2017 at 01:10 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ultra wide angle lens....on a crop body.

after using an UWA as a primary lens for 12+ years, i no longer have one. My widest lens is a Zeiss 35-70. Again, it is preference. I got bored of UWA, so changed for a while.

Nov 08, 2017 at 01:20 AM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ultra wide angle lens....on a crop body.

I am seeing a lot of great shots taken by the Tokina 11-16 BUT I don't travel a lot. I am shooting mostly seascapes here in NYC since I live by the shores. Other than that, there are tons of buildings in NYC. As a New Yorker, I don't find concrete buildings attractive. I am afraid that I don't get inspired enough to use the UWA lens.

Nov 08, 2017 at 01:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ultra wide angle lens....on a crop body.

Man, in NYC and don't like architectural photography?

Last time I was in NY, the FE 16-35 was on my camera about 90% of the time.

These are in the UWA range from that trip:

Nov 08, 2017 at 01:45 AM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ultra wide angle lens....on a crop body.

Nice....

Nov 08, 2017 at 01:48 AM
AmbientMike
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ultra wide angle lens....on a crop body.

Seascapes are one subject I like a uwa for.

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:05 AM
Cadaver
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ultra wide angle lens....on a crop body.

I had a Tokina 11-16mm and thought it was great. I think you might have fun experimenting with one in NY. I certainly didn't get bored with mine. I recently traded it in for the extended focal length of a Tokina 11-20mm.

Outstanding shots Joshua!

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:59 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ultra wide angle lens....on a crop body.

TooManyShots wrote:
... What if I didn't find the ultra wide angle useful or only useful in only few occasions.

You sell it.

If you bought if new, the difference between buying and selling prices is equivalent to the rental cost. If you bought it used (for a reasonable price), the overall cost is pretty much zero (aside from your time).

Nov 08, 2017 at 11:24 AM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ultra wide angle lens....on a crop body.

I don't think is that bad buying a new one now. Is $400 with a 3 year warranty. The used price is only about $70+ less. I can probably sell back the lens more with the remaining warranty (warranty is not transferable but I can handle the warranty claim for the buyer). It adds additional values in my used lens...

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:26 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password