New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

going back to Nikon??

boshek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · going back to Nikon??

I sold my flagship Nikon and bought an XT2 and D850. I do like the XT2 but I still prefer the way the Nikon feels and the layout. I am also having a problem using both bodies together, its not as seamless as I'd hoped and find myself having to think before making adjustments on the fly. I am thinking about going back to Nikon, partially because of the differences in the bodies and also because its not that easy for me to switch between the two. Am I nuts anyone else done the double switch? ty

Nov 07, 2017 at 09:07 PM
akin_t
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · going back to Nikon??

It's just a camera dude. Do whatever works best for you.

We're all individuals at the end of the day, there's no one size fits all solution.

Nov 07, 2017 at 09:59 PM
Berschwinger
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · going back to Nikon??

I don't think you are crazy at all. I never fully committed to the switch. I love the convenience of mirrorless and feel very spoiled with seeing my exposure before I shoot, but for speed and ease of focus acquisition it just doesn't touch the DSLR. I have both and feel like I need both at this point.

As far as interface, my only complaint is the trash and review buttons are reversed between the fuji and the nikon - definitely a nuisance but not unbearable.

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:23 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · going back to Nikon??

Is Nikon still in business?

Nov 08, 2017 at 02:40 AM
gnawbone

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · going back to Nikon??

Berschwinger wrote:
I don't think you are crazy at all. I never fully committed to the switch. I love the convenience of mirrorless and feel very spoiled with seeing my exposure before I shoot, but for speed and ease of focus acquisition it just doesn't touch the DSLR. I have both and feel like I need both at this point.

As far as interface, my only complaint is the trash and review buttons are reversed between the fuji and the nikon - definitely a nuisance but not unbearable.

I have a D750 and a Fuji X-T2 and there are things I like about both and things I don't like about both. Downside to the Nikon is weight and size, the downside to the X-T2 is the thing everyone else seems to like about mirrorless cameras and that is the image I see in the viewfinder. The good part about the image in the X-T2 viewfinder may be the brightness and possibly the contrast but the image looks plastic or fake - it is also small.

I guess I'm the odd duck around here but I prefer the image I see in the Nikon viewfinder. I'm trying to like the EVF but I'm just not getting there.

Nov 08, 2017 at 02:54 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · going back to Nikon??

Iím pretty sure that if I was actually making money from photography I would still be shooting Nikon. So itís not crazy to realize that a system doesnít fit your needs, definitely your call. I will say that I envy your ďproblemĒ, lol.

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:19 AM
duet
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · going back to Nikon??

Well, I don't blame you. I'm a full time wedding photographer and currently own 3 D750s. I also am in a process of switching, or at least thinking about it. Just purchased X-Pro2 and 23mm. I understand that Fuji's AF is not on par with current DSLR and of course I'm sure it can't even compete against D850. Frankly I wanna like Fuji because I always liked the idea of going to weddings with light gears and not get tired after 10-12 hrs of shooting.

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:07 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · going back to Nikon??

Need not be an either/or type situation, both have pros and cons for given situations and itís a great luxury to have both options.

I got a 850 recently and itís awesome for things like portraits with the 105/1.4, yet at the same time, it sure isnít what I want to travel with, xt2 is far lighter and still gets the job done.

Different tasks are best done with different tools, and as long as those needs arise enough to warrant a tool for them, doesnít hurt having the option.

Heck, sometimes just the differences in handling can be fun. There is a certain something about a dslr and 50mm shooting experience that just feels different than a 35mm on a Mirrorless body. Both produce great results at the end of the day, but I find I shoot them kind of differently. Fun having both.

Nov 08, 2017 at 01:41 PM
roger lund
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · going back to Nikon??

I think that perhaps you just need to challenge your self to learn the new camera..

Do a daily challenge to use different settings, and button layouts until you have them down. Wouldn't be much different if you changed between Nikon bodies....

Nov 08, 2017 at 01:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · going back to Nikon??

duet wrote:
Just purchased X-Pro2 and 23mm. I understand that Fuji's AF is not on par with current DSLR and of course I'm sure it can't even compete against D850. Frankly I wanna like Fuji because I always liked the idea of going to weddings with light gears and not get tired after 10-12 hrs of shooting.

Indulge me in a moment of nostalgia. I shot over 100 weddings back in the film days when I was a full time professional photographer. I never photographed a wedding professionally with a camera with autofocus. The smallest camera I used was a Mamiya 645 with a Sunpak flash and a battery pack. I also took a Mamiya RB67 to shoot the formals. Shooting weddings in the summer in Georgia was a physical challenge, usually leaving me drenched in sweat and wrung out by the end of the day. I can understand the desire for smaller gear!

Is your concern about Fuji AF performance speed or accuracy? I have shot with the XPro2, XT2, XE2 and XE3 and found the AF to be quick and accurate, especially with the XE3. I don't have a good point of reference since my current DSLR is the Canon 5D2, which has notoriously bad AF. I would certainly field test the XPro2 before committing to the Fuji system.

Using small cameras to shoot weddings would also be appealing to me, but in addition to the smaller kit size and weight being easier to haul around all day, I think I'd be able to get more intimate photos with the less obtrusive cameras. I just took my new XE3 on a trip and no one paid me and it any attention. That's different from prior trips where I took a big DSLR, especially when the big white lens was being used.

I hated the kind of candid wedding photography I took. I had to shoot that way partly because of film and equipment limitations and partly because of what the market expected. If I was shooting weddings now, I think my equipment choices would be partly dictated by style. If I shot in the multiple light, big production style of Sam Hassas, I'd go with a big DSLR outfit. If I shot in a more reportage style like Jeff Ascough, I'd be shooting Fuji.

You may find this useful, even though it discusses shooting with the XT2.

Nov 08, 2017 at 02:00 PM
Steezus
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · going back to Nikon??

I don't think I could use both systems because they both operate so differently. It was hard to transition from Nikon to Fuji, but once I gave it time, the Fuji system started to feel really good. I just don't think I could go back and forth without constantly having to think about what button I use for each system to get the correct setting.

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:25 PM
danh920
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · going back to Nikon??

Gotta admit I'm having similar issues right now. I love this Fuji setup for everything except quick af. As a pure hobbyist who likes to walk a nature preserve on lunch breaks I'm considering selling the newly acquired 100-400 to get a sigma 150-600c and a d71 or 7200 (and put some $ in the pocket) mainly due to my familiarity, the af and I think 1 standard Nikon battery will last longer than the 3 in my gripped xt2.

Like mentioned in this post tho, its a learning curve and I know the right thing to do is get out and shoot more and get used to it.

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:54 PM
spoupard
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · going back to Nikon??

I also took a Mamiya RB67 to shoot the formals.

Loudest camera ever!

I think that, because the Fuji and Nikon are so different in size, you will soon use the correct controls for each camera just based on the way the camera feels in your hands. I switch between an X-T20, X-E1, Nikon F2, Nikon S2, etc., all the time and, because I am so familiar with each of them, I don't have any problems at all.

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:49 PM
mregala

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · going back to Nikon??

I switched from Nikon dual bodies (D3s, D4) to dual Fuji X-T2 bodies. Yes, there are times when I really miss Nikon's faster AF and shutter lag. But for the most part I'm content with trading those for the same image quality, lighter weight and lower cost. My keeper rate on Nikon was 90-95%, on Fuji it's now maybe 75% (esp in low light). I've really had to learn to anticipate and set up for shots way ahead of time.

Every camera is a compromise between better specs (AF, image quality), price, and weight, just depends on what's most important to you! I've taken my X-T2 to Japan twice now... no way I would have tried that with my D4! The X-T2 is a phenomenal all-rounder camera for me.

Nov 08, 2017 at 05:46 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · going back to Nikon??

I did not do a "switch." I did an "augmentation" ó†adding a Fujifilm system to my existing Canon system. Each of the two is my go-to system for certain types of work. I almost always use the Canon for landscape and wildlife photography, and I virtually always use the Fujifilm for street and travel photography.

The only time I've used the two side-by-side has been for some event photography. I wasn't too troubled by switching, since I put a prime on the Fujifilm (XPro2) and zooms on the Canon ó†so the two served different purposes. But with enough use of the two cameras, it is possible for both to become relatively second-nature.

One thing I would generally caution folks about is doing wholesale "switches" from one system to another without some degree of care and thought. It is easy to get caught up in the appeal of the "new thing," only to discover after using it long enough that it loses its newness... that it has its own set of pluses and minuses.

Dan

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:34 PM
Berschwinger
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · going back to Nikon??

I can chime in that I took my X-T1 to a family wedding as a guest last weekend (leaving my D3s at home). My wife specifically told me to "not be that guy in the photographers way". I was able to sneak pictures with the rear lcd without even turning with no problems in framing, and no one even noticed I was shooting. Couldn't have done that with the beast D3s clacking away for sure. That said, I missed quite a few shots at the rehersal dinner with the X-T1 hunting in the low light. Different tools for different purposes I guess.

Nov 08, 2017 at 10:25 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · going back to Nikon??

If a camera does not work for you, get something that does. There are many options out there.

Personally I have no problems shooting with different brand cameras that even span to medium and large format film cameras. On a given day, I only have one camera make with me so this might make having multiple brands usable. I can see having problems trying to use two different camera brands at the same time.

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:24 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password