Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Nikon will shut down all sales operations in Brazil at th...

henryp
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon will shut down all sales operations in Brazil at the end of 2017

Nikon will shut down all sales operations in Brazil at the end of 2017

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Nov 07, 2017 at 07:22 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon will shut down all sales operations in Brazil at the end of 2017

Most sales there were already black market imports and it's not exactly a stable place to do business.

Nov 07, 2017 at 07:35 PM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon will shut down all sales operations in Brazil at the end of 2017

Confusing....they are shutting down the internet sales. What about retailers in Brazil? Does Nikon ship their products to retailers in Brazil at all

Nov 07, 2017 at 08:45 PM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon will shut down all sales operations in Brazil at the end of 2017

Reporting indicates that there are no Nikon dealers there. Nikon e-store selling at retail was up against gray market only retailers.

Nikon still makes the wholesale profit from the gray market and they save on not having any liability for warranty other than the one year international which I think requires shipping to Japan.

Nov 07, 2017 at 10:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon will shut down all sales operations in Brazil at the end of 2017

I worked retail in South Florida in the early-to-mid '90s. I was in my late teens.

Young Brazilian women would come in, barely dressed by our standards, place their elbows (and other body parts) on the "mostrador" and while I fought to concentrate, pulled paper lists from their waistbands.

They'd rattle off the cameras (video and still) they'd want to see and know the prices of. The first time this happened, I scoffed and mused "they think I'm an easy mark, this is but a distraction!"

By the second month, I'd keep my eyes peeled for 'em, because I quickly learned that they constituted familial/clan shopping expeditions and would pay cash for five, six or even eight thousand dollars of gear as quickly as you could name all twenty-six states in Brazil...plus Brasilia.

TL;DR: For those in Brazil that can, grey market is/was way cheaper. Why bother?

(FWIW I quickly looked past the finger snapping and "ts! ts!" attention-getting because hell, the easy commission on such sales was worth it.)

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:42 AM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon will shut down all sales operations in Brazil at the end of 2017

Pictures or it didn't happen! 🤣

sirimiri wrote:
I worked retail in South Florida in the early-to-mid '90s. I was in my late teens.

Young Brazilian women would come in, barely dressed by our standards, place their elbows (and other body parts) on the "mostrador" and while I fought to concentrate, pulled paper lists from their waistbands.

They'd rattle off the cameras (video and still) they'd want to see and know the prices of. The first time this happened, I scoffed and mused "they think I'm an easy mark, this is but a distraction!"

By the second month, I'd keep my eyes peeled for 'em, because I quickly learned that they
...Show more

Nov 08, 2017 at 05:39 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon will shut down all sales operations in Brazil at the end of 2017

My wife, Marisa was born in Brazil with Spanish parents. The political situation in Brazil is very uneasy now and there is no immediate end in sight and the Brazilian Real has been fluctuating substantially. Also there has been difficulty transferring money out of Brazil, so I feel Nikon's decision may have been just reducing the risk factor understanding the internet/grey market is alive and well.

Nov 08, 2017 at 05:54 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password