FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Which model of c stand to get

aeubank
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which model of c stand to get

Hello all,

I'm tired of the budget lightstand market and want to step up to a c stand. Haven't purchased one in a few years but I tend to keep my stands for a long time..
Most of my shooting is on location outdoor with no studio so the stands are going to be on the move. The weight is not going to be an issue for me but I need the stands to last..

I have it down to 3 choices. One from Kupo, Avenger, and Matthews.

Here are my choices..

Matthews stand

Kupo stand

Avenger stand

Thoughts anyone??

Nov 07, 2017 at 06:47 PM
jlafferty
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which model of c stand to get

Avenger! Rubber grips. Better folding and separating base. Doesn't use a metal disc in the knuckle, which Matthews does - over time the metal of Matthews warps and loses grip. Also, Matthews has teeth in the arm socket which makes adjusting a pain.

Side note: Kupo makes a rolling base that fits the standard c stand column which is awesome.

Nov 07, 2017 at 09:14 PM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which model of c stand to get

I love my Matthews C Stands in both 20” and 40” risers, never had an issue. I prefer the turtle base rather than the sliding leg because they breakdown and travel better for me.

Nov 08, 2017 at 12:05 AM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which model of c stand to get

I own 16 Kupo C-Stands. They are much heavier than mathews (not always a pro/con) my only negative, but it depends on usage. The Hex on the end of the Kupo grip arm is top tier for giving big modifiers the ability to angle down more.Being able to mount a light on the hex without rotating gives so much more flexibility. They also have big knobs that are easier to crank down. Kupo is my favorite grip company and has yet to let me down. Plus MAC is the importer and has been good to work with.

The few half sized Kupos are my favorite. Also prefer the turtle base. For whatever reason there is a slight size difference between the Kupo sliding and turtle so the large leg wont go over the mid of the other or something which gets annoying

Nov 08, 2017 at 12:13 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which model of c stand to get

I own a dozen stands, none of them Century. Be aware that C-stands are for holding modifiers, while light stands are for lights (or modifiers). Light stands are available with steel construction and are stronger and far more rigid than riveted alu tubes. The Matthews light stand roughly equivalent to their C-stand is the Beefy Baby:

Ref: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/139497-REG/Matthews_387031_Hollywood_Beefy_Baby_Steel.html

I use the shorter version for backdrop duty:

As seen above, my frontline choice are the steel rollers, but they weigh more and cost more. In any case, you want a baby stand to have a full steel pin to take grip heads and support lateral loads without crumpling into a heap.

Nov 08, 2017 at 01:49 AM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which model of c stand to get

rico wrote:
Be aware that C-stands are for holding modifiers, while light stands are for lights (or modifiers).

Says who?

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:21 AM
aeubank
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which model of c stand to get

rico wrote:
I own a dozen stands, none of them Century. Be aware that C-stands are for holding modifiers, while light stands are for lights (or modifiers). Light stands are available with steel construction and are stronger and far more rigid than riveted alu tubes. The Matthews light stand roughly equivalent to their C-stand is the Beefy Baby:

https://static.bhphoto.com/images/images500x500/Matthews_387031_Hollywood_Beefy_Baby_Steel_1315934565000_139497.jpg

Ref: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/139497-REG/Matthews_387031_Hollywood_Beefy_Baby_Steel.html

http://makino.fi/rico/fm/40griparm.jpg

As seen above, my frontline choice are the steel rollers, but they weigh more and cost more. In any case, you want a baby stand to have a full steel pin to take grip heads and support
...Show more

Man, that's quite a bit of $$$ on all of those stands..
Maybe when I grow up.. I'm just graduating from the cheapo stands for now..

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:25 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which model of c stand to get

voidsherpa wrote:
Says who?

Says Matthews and Avenger. From MSE:

"Also known as Century Stand, Grip Stand or Gobo Stand. Before there was artificial lighting stages would revolve to allow for continuous overhead lighting from the sun. Large reflectors were positioned to bounce this light, the most common size c-stand being the 100 inch, or ‘century’ sized stand."

From Avenger:

"Avenger C-stands primarily designed to hold grip products, are an effective way of articulating the item they support using grip heads and arms."

The telling feature of C-stand is the loading limit of 20-odd lbs and the legs being welded to the riser. Meanwhile, steel light stands go up to 100 lbs loading limit for Juniors, and far more for the cranked stands (e.g. Matthews Vators). Speedlight and modifier is no biggie, but people talking about booming a C-stand make me cringe—it's no laughing matter.

Ref:
https://www.msegrip.com/stands-2/
https://www.manfrotto.us/avenger/stands/c-stands

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:52 AM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which model of c stand to get

aeubank wrote:
Man, that's quite a bit of $$$ on all of those stands..
Maybe when I grow up.. I'm just graduating from the cheapo stands for now..

Search eBay in a 100mi (how ever far you are willing to drive) radius from you location. Most of this stuff is uneconomical to ship. Also it's not entirely in demand anymore. Was able to pick up a couple 20' hi overhead rollers for $200 a piece.

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:54 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which model of c stand to get

Here's a light stand (baby steel roller) doing grip duty. As you can see, it's not working very hard, so a C-stand can serve this purpose (although wheels are infinitely nicer )

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which model of c stand to get

rico wrote:
but people talking about booming a C-stand make me cringe—it's no laughing matter.

Do it all the time, no issue whatsoever. I'm not the only one. I take pride in my in my grip work and it's never unsafe.

https://youtu.be/rqC2xpCaG80?t=1m1s

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:01 AM
jlafferty
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which model of c stand to get

Yeah. There's a time and place to read the manual literally but this ain't it. With just a touch of common sense C stands are great lighting stands. In fact, for a lighter load I often travel with an Avenger heavy duty kit stand and a C stand arm/knuckle and boom a light out on that - just always extend the arm over a leg and don't boom it too far. Have been doing this for 5 years now without issue.

voidsherpa wrote:
Do it all the time, no issue whatsoever. I'm not the only one. I take pride in my in my grip work and it's never unsafe.

Nov 08, 2017 at 11:47 AM
Fotografpaul
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which model of c stand to get

voidsherpa wrote:

Let's put it this way, anyone who works in this industry as a professional knows what c-stands can do..

The notion that a baby roller will be better than a c-stand to hold a camera and be more secure is incorrect on so many levels.

I have all types of stands, and up to 10kg, the baby/junior roller will not necessarily be more secure if the c-stand is set up properly. How many lights and modifiers do you have that exceed 10kg? Also, the arm itself will flex way before the stand does. which is the weak link no matter the stand it's attached to.

Now I respect anyone who cares about security on set but disregarding c-stands just because the description states it made for modifiers is like saying a fast lens is only made for lowlight photography.

I work both in the studio and on location, anyone who works on location knows that you need to be creative to protect your gear, your self, and others. C-stand is an invaluable asset on location and in the studio as long as you work within the weight limit just as you do with any other stand/tripod.

Edited on Nov 09, 2017 at 12:50 PM · View previous versions

Nov 09, 2017 at 07:05 AM
Fotografpaul
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which model of c stand to get

rico wrote:
The telling feature of C-stand is the loading limit of 20-odd lbs and the legs being welded to the riser. Meanwhile, steel light stands go up to 100 lbs loading limit for Juniors, and far more for the cranked stands (e.g. Matthews Vators). Speedlight and modifier is no biggie, but people talking about booming a C-stand make me cringe—it's no laughing matter.

Well depends on the c-stand and what type of base if it's welded or not. Regardless, as been stated earlier, professionals use c-stands for a lot more than flags.

Edited on Nov 09, 2017 at 12:51 PM · View previous versions

Nov 09, 2017 at 07:09 AM
tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which model of c stand to get

thanks for sharing the setup. what are the recommended lateral loads for the long and short arms versions?

btw, that's an old lens you got on the camera.. :')

rico wrote:

https://static.bhphoto.com/images/images500x500/Matthews_387031_Hollywood_Beefy_Baby_Steel_1315934565000_139497.jpg

http://makino.fi/rico/fm/40griparm.jpg

As seen above, my frontline choice are the steel rollers, but they weigh more and cost more. In any case, you want a baby stand to have a full steel pin to take grip heads and support
...Show more

Nov 09, 2017 at 09:47 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which model of c stand to get

tntcorp wrote:
thanks for sharing the setup. what are the recommended lateral loads for the long and short arms versions?

btw, that's an old lens you got on the camera.. :')

Golden oldie but performing just fine.

The long grip arm above was not stressed at all, but the 4.5" knuckle was near its holding limit: standard 2.5" knuckles can't perform such shenanigans. The supporting junior roller is designed for lateral loads. A boom doesn't impose any lateral force on a stand when properly counterweighted. I use 30 lbs of c/w to get decent flying distance with 20-lb fixtures like the Profoto FresnelSpot or StripLight:

The c/w alone exceeds the C-stand loading limit. Including 15 lbs for the Avenger D650 boom itself, total weight on the stand is 65 lbs. With a junior roller and correct balancing, I can move the payload anywhere in space with one finger:

Baby booms are available, but my needs are covered with casual use of grip arms and serious use of a junior boom. Something about a junior pin (1.125" of solid steel) says secure!

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:27 PM
Conner999
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which model of c stand to get

The Matthews beefy babys are great. If wnat a C-Stand, the Kupo c-stand base is excellent. It folds open and closed w/a flick of wrist and can be sued with any C-stand riser not just Kupos. We use Matthews baby and junior stands and retrofitted our Avenger C-stands with Kupo bases.

Nov 09, 2017 at 06:47 PM
tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which model of c stand to get

rico wrote:
Golden oldie but performing just fine.

The long grip arm above was not stressed at all, but the 4.5" knuckle was near its holding limit: standard 2.5" knuckles can't perform such shenanigans. The supporting junior roller is designed for lateral loads. A boom doesn't impose any lateral force on a stand when properly counterweighted. I use 30 lbs of c/w to get decent flying distance with 20-lb fixtures like the Profoto FresnelSpot or StripLight:

http://makino.fi/rico/fm/backdrop1.jpg

The c/w alone exceeds the C-stand loading limit. Including 15 lbs for the Avenger D650 boom itself, total weight on the stand is 65 lbs. With a
...Show more

thx for sharing your setup... a photo is worth a-thousand words.. :')

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:24 AM
mcoons

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which model of c stand to get

Remember, when using a c-stand the weight in the arm should be positioned so the knuckle tightens as more pressure is put on it. Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey. Just flip the arm over to have the knuckle in the right position.

Also, the studios I worked at in and around Los Angeles/Hollywood use c-stands for everything. From holding up lights, backgrounds, clothes, etc. A quality c-stand will last forever. I like the Matthews light stands and c-stands and Adorama and B&H have free shipping.

Nov 10, 2017 at 05:17 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Which model of c stand to get

I'm damn lazy about righty-tighty except when getting near the limit. Matthews knuckles are remarkably slip resistant.

Nov 10, 2017 at 05:37 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password