New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Need printing advice

lighthound
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need printing advice

I'm reaching out to anyone here that might be able to help me finalize an Eclipse image composite project I have been struggling with.

I sent the below image out to be printed on metallic paper but the print came back with a large nasty halo around my totality image. It even showed the black fill that I had added in PS to allow me to print them as 11.75 x 36.
After a few email conversations with this print lab they decided they could not print it without this error even though it does not show on their monitor. They have refunded my money and now I'm back to square one trying to get a print made.

I am working on a calibrated monitor and downloaded this print labs ICC profile to soft proof before sending it out. The soft proof only shows it becoming dull and flat, it does not show this weird halo. Even if I crank the exposure up over 1 full stop, I still can not see this halo effect nor where the frame ends abruptly and meets the black BG fill area like what shows up in the print.

I am not a PS expert, so I don't know how to correct for this issue other than increasing the strength of the radial gradient to make it fall off into the black BG sooner. By doing so, I start to lose the corona streamers I have worked so hard at getting.

This particular print project is meant to be gifts for a family member and a friend, so I'm trying to keep the cost down to a reasonable level. Once I get this figured out I will be shelling out $$ for a similar image for myself that will include the Totality frame with the diamond ring frames on each side. This will also need to fade into black space as well so I need to get it right on this "gift print".

What I'm looking for help on are 2 things.

1) Does anyone know how I can correct for this in PS without mucking it up and retaining my corona streamers?

2) Any suggestions for a good print lab that will except large TIFF files and will work with me directly to ensure it prints correctly? And not break the bank as this 2-off print is for gifts.

I am now considering going smaller as well so I'm open to any and all suggestions.

First image is what I sent to the print lab and the second shows what the print looked like.

Dave

What I sent

What I got back

Nov 07, 2017 at 04:15 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need printing advice

Very odd.

I'm willing to take a look at your print files. I accept full resolution TIFF files on my printing website. You'll have to use the "Special Order" uploader function for now to place orders or for evaluation files.

See, www.carmelfineartprinting.com

Ken

Nov 07, 2017 at 08:02 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need printing advice

Thank you Ken!
I'll get it sent over this evening.

Much appreciated!

Dave

Nov 07, 2017 at 08:53 PM
Lee Nelson
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need printing advice

Hello Dave,

I just printed your image on Metallic Chrome paper at 11x17 and it came out perfect.
Entirely a paper profile problem I'm thinking.

regards,
Lee

Nov 07, 2017 at 08:54 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need printing advice

Lee Nelson wrote:
Hello Dave,

I just printed your image on Metallic Chrome paper at 11x17 and it came out perfect.
Entirely a paper profile problem I'm thinking.

regards,
Lee

Thanks for confirming this Lee. Although I am a little freaked out that people can snag my posted images and get decent prints. I had printed a small 8x10 on a sample of RRP metallic off my Pro-100 printer and didn't see this issue either.

I have no experience with sending out for large prints to print labs so I just figured it had something to do with the size of the print or something. That mess of a print came from a large very well known print lab, so I just assumed they knew what they were doing. That's what I get for "assuming".

Dave

Nov 07, 2017 at 09:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lee Nelson
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need printing advice

lighthound wrote:
Thanks for confirming this Lee. Although I am a little freaked out that people can snag my posted images and get decent prints. I had printed a small 8x10 on a sample of RRP metallic off my Pro-100 printer and didn't see this issue either.

I have no experience with sending out for large prints to print labs so I just figured it had something to do with the size of the print or something. That mess of a print came from a large very well known print lab, so I just assumed they knew what they were doing.
...Show more

Well Dave I am guilty of the error of assumption too. If I had known you already had the answer to your problem I would not have bothered wasting the paper and ink. That print is now in the trash along with your file.
You can be sure that I will never again make that error again as I am not a "snagger" of others folks work.

Lee

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:11 PM
jeraldcook
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need printing advice

Lee Nelson wrote:
Well Dave I am guilty of the error of assumption too. If I had known you already had the answer to your problem I would not have bothered wasting the paper and ink. That print is now in the trash along with your file.
You can be sure that I will never again make that error again as I am not a "snagger" of others folks work.

Lee

It's interesting how people interpret a person's tone in online posts. I saw Dave's response as appreciative (he even used a smiley face emoji!) while Lee clearly took offense. After I saw Lee's response I had to go back and reread Dave's post to see if I missed something. I can see why Lee would take offense to being called a "snagger" but I took Dave's comment as lighthearted and just expressing a general concern that a print-quality file was available for anyone to download.

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:32 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need printing advice

Having helped and encouraged Dave with this extremely difficult pp project, I can say he's worked very, very hard and eager for a wall hanger. I too was perplexed by his print result.
I am glad he's already received some help here, and encouragement. He needs a small print lab that's willing to work with him to ensure a good result.

Nov 08, 2017 at 12:45 AM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need printing advice

Lee Nelson wrote:

Lee

No no! Lee, I did not mean any offence whatsoever. My apologies that you took it that way. As Jerald had correctly suggested, I was simply expressing my surprise that it was even possible. I understand you were being very generous by reaching out to help me like you did, and I'm truly grateful that you did.

Again, my apologies Lee.

Dave

Nov 08, 2017 at 02:58 AM
AmbientMike
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need printing advice

I haven't used them recently, but they seemed excellent when I used them:

http://chromedigital.com

https://www.reedphoto.com/professional-photo-printing-fine-art-reproduction-studio-film-processing-lab-denver/

You might contact them, and see if they think they can do it.

Nov 10, 2017 at 08:44 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password