1       2       3              5      
       7              14       15       end

Archive 2017 · Tamron 100-400

HaJa
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Tamron 100-400

Imagemaster wrote:
To get the dragon filling more of the frame, without having to move closer, same as with any other wildlife.

I know. Then again, it is usually easy to move close enough for 200mm lens and fill the frame.
Just wondering

Jarmo

Dec 09, 2017 at 03:16 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Tamron 100-400

HaJa wrote:
I know. Then again, it is usually easy to move close enough for 200mm lens and fill the frame.
Just wondering

Jarmo

right, dragonflies pics are easy to get with almost any telephoto lens

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Dec 09, 2017 at 04:58 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Tamron 100-400

CW100 wrote:
right, dragonflies pics are easy to get with almost any telephoto lens

So what? I can take photos of dragonflies and hummingbirds with a 50mm lens or a 500mm lens. That you can always get closer for a particular subject at a particular time is an assumption.

There is a reason why a lot of photographers perfer a 180mm macro lens over a 50mm macro lens, and that is because they are less likely to spook their subject by being at a further distance.

Dec 09, 2017 at 06:10 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Tamron 100-400

I haven't seen a dragonfly in years.

Dec 09, 2017 at 08:17 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Tamron 100-400

Imagemaster wrote:
Also, any Canon patents, be they recent or old, can have nothing to do with any next lens or camera that comes out.

In general, but not always, it's easy to forget that a just released lens had a patent released 2-3 years earlier.

Dec 10, 2017 at 08:29 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Tamron 100-400

Pixel Perfect wrote:
In general, but not always, it's easy to forget that a just released lens had a patent released 2-3 years earlier.

Which is why I said: ...... CAN have nothing ....... .

Dec 10, 2017 at 08:32 PM
HaJa
• • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Tamron 100-400

Tony, excellent picture and only 6Mp (10D)

Jarmo

Dec 11, 2017 at 10:58 AM
Brev00
• • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Tamron 100-400

Imagemaster wrote:
So what? I can take photos of dragonflies and hummingbirds with a 50mm lens or a 500mm lens. That you can always get closer for a particular subject at a particular time is an assumption.

There is a reason why a lot of photographers perfer a 180mm macro lens over a 50mm macro lens, and that is because they are less likely to spook their subject by being at a further distance.

Those are sensational pictures! And, I agree with you about the benefits of focal length and working distance. My favorite dragonfly and butterfly pics have been taken with the 300mm end of my 70-300 and I also bought a 180mm macro for the reasons you mentioned. I just want to show that one can use any focal length to capture small critters. A wasp at 17mm:

Dec 11, 2017 at 03:18 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Tamron 100-400

I need longer lenses because once I get down I have to call Central Rent-A-Crane to get me back up.

Dec 11, 2017 at 05:29 PM
technic
• • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Tamron 100-400

more image samples available at cameralabs:
https://www.cameralabs.com/tamron-100-400mm-f4-5-6-3-vc-review/2/

Review is still in progress, but some of those samples have excellent (center) sharpness at f/6.3 400mm. If it keeps that quality near MFD I would be very happy. Most images do not allow judging corner sharpness but in the long distance test shots my impression is that the left side of the frame is significantly less sharp (IS problem, sample variation of lens/camera?).

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:11 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Tamron 100-400

Imagemaster wrote:

right, and there's probably a reason some photographers like a 90mm lens for dragonflies

Dec 19, 2017 at 07:21 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Tamron 100-400

CW100 wrote:
right, and there's probably a reason some photographers like a 90mm lens for dragonflies

No kidding? There is a reason why some photographers use whatever focal length they find most appropriate for their subject.

Dec 19, 2017 at 07:57 PM
squon

p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Tamron 100-400

I bought this lens two days ago, fine tuned it with the Tap-in console so now there is zero back or front focusing issues at any range and I will be doing a more extensive tests over the next few days to see if I have a bad copy or if this lens just isn't all that sharp.

Maybe it's just me but it seems from my sample images that this lens is nowhere even near as sharp as my 70-300 AF-P Nikon that I paid $300CDN for.

Here are some shots. Maybe I have a defective copy but from the sounds of it, and from reading another members experience on his testing is that the test just isn't sharp (especially at the long end). If true, it's a real shame because this lens was praised so highly by sites and Dustin Abott for it's IQ.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4237378

Dec 21, 2017 at 12:20 PM
technic
• • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Tamron 100-400

squon wrote:
I bought this lens two days ago, fine tuned it with the Tap-in console so now there is zero back or front focusing issues at any range and I will be doing a more extensive tests over the next few days to see if I have a bad copy or if this lens just isn't all that sharp.

Maybe it's just me but it seems from my sample images that this lens is nowhere even near as sharp as my 70-300 AF-P Nikon that I paid $300CDN for.

Here are some shots. Maybe I have a defective copy but from the sounds
...Show more

Very difficult to judge with such 3D subjects. If you look at the images at cameralabs.com you will see several that are VERY sharp at 400mm f/6.3. However, one can also find images there that are partially soft because the DOF is extremely small and focusing is maybe just a bit off. But it is clear to me that the copy that they tested can be very sharp at 400mm full open, if you get the focus right (I would suggest to use tripod for testing and focus with Liveview, just to be sure). If none of your images is sharp anywhere at these settings, you may have a bad copy.

Dec 21, 2017 at 01:27 PM
lorac
• • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Tamron 100-400

How did you adjust the lens? I hope on tripod, timer release, etc with a test chart of some kind. If you can get sharp images with that, real world images should be sharp too. I always test that way, then move to real world shooting. There are some exceptional people that seem to be able to adjust a lens more or less on the fly, I'm not one.

With any new lens for testing, you need to remove yourself from the equation, before adding yourself ( your technique or lack there of) back in.

Dec 21, 2017 at 04:15 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Tamron 100-400

You guys are getting off topic. Let me help for a moment...

CW100 wrote:

I really like some of those volleyball shots 😁

Imagemaster wrote:

Love those shots!!! I’ve seen people that can get hummingbirds to land on, or hand feed. That’s dedication, they are pretty skittish. Had one that would visit our feeder 2 years ago (in Detroit of all places). You could tell the time by it’s visits. It would come every morning at about 10:30am, and every afternoon around 5pm. I miss that little guy 🙁

Fantastic with the dragonfly! I’ve only had the chance to try and shoot them once or twice. Just as skittish as a hummingbird. How’d you get it to land on your finger?

Back on subject...
Has anyone seen more reviews of the Tamron vs the sigma? I’m looking for a new tele zoom and the Tamron is towards the top of my list, provided it has IQ at least 90% that of the sigma. I’d really like to see mtf charts comparisons. The only turn-off so far is the tripod mount isn’t included, and is expensive.

As a side note, Tamron website claims the new TCs also work with this lens. 🤨

Dec 21, 2017 at 10:53 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Tamron 100-400

Aaron D wrote:
Fantastic with the dragonfly! I’ve only had the chance to try and shoot them once or twice. Just as skittish as a hummingbird. How’d you get it to land on your finger?

Back on subject...
Has anyone seen more reviews of the Tamron vs the sigma? I’m looking for a new tele zoom and the Tamron is towards the top of my list, provided it has IQ at least 90% that of the sigma. I’d really like to see mtf charts comparisons. The only turn-off so far is the tripod mount isn’t included, and is expensive.

As a side note, Tamron website
...Show more

Thanks. The dragonfly had landed in a lake and with wet wings would have drowned. I fished him out and let him sit on my finger until his wings dried and he flew off.

There is a video review on this thread: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1523225

Of course he is just sitting at his desk and shows no sample images whatsoever. At the end he claims the Tamron is better than the Sigma. Don't know if either TC is available yet.

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:53 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · Tamron 100-400

I want to see some solid comparisons. Whether it be RAW examples, or ISO, or MTF, charts. So far the couple of reviews I’ve read say the Tamron is pretty much on par with the Sig, regarding IQ. Supposedly it outshines the Sig in AF and image stabilization. I can get by without a tripod foot, but it’s also nice to know I can get/use one should the need arise.

It’s easy for a lot of people to compare it to another lens they already have , say a Tamron 70-300VC. But those that would have to pay for the use, whether renting or purchasing, will be far fewer. Thankfully I won’t be purchasing until February or early March. I just happen to be impatient in regards to anything.

Dec 22, 2017 at 01:05 AM
lorac
• • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · Tamron 100-400

Aaron D wrote:
I want to see some solid comparisons........
Thankfully I won’t be purchasing until February or early March. I just happen to be impatient in regards to anything.

This time of year, might be about Feb until you get your answer.

Dec 22, 2017 at 01:49 AM
Aaron D
• • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · Tamron 100-400

lorac wrote:
This time of year, might be about Feb until you get your answer.

That works for me. I think I’ve figured out what I’m going to go with. And if I’m lucky, the GAS gods choose to bless me with luck, a 100-400 won’t even be in the picture. By that time, I’m hoping more 150-600 C’s will be on the used market. If not, a 100-400 will fit my needs for all, but the “I need longer”, part.
If I have to go with a 100-400, I’ll end up with a slight overlap at 100-150, but that’s fine since I wouldn’t be using anything more than 150 indoors. Seems I had forgotten about a gem that didn’t get much attention, the discontinued Sigma 50-150/2.8 OS.

Dec 23, 2017 at 09:02 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.