New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · FF for $1K?

rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FF for $1K?

Sorry for one of those stupid what-camera questions. My moribund Canon system is about to get a minty refresh in the form of a TS-E lens, specifically the new 135/4L. I can deploy it instantly on my ancient (and rock-solid) 1Ds, but slightly higher MP is attractive. For its intended life in the studio, high ISO performance is irrelevant. AF performance is irrelevant, too. My contenders are therefore the 5D2, 5D3 and 1Ds3 in used condition. A used 5Ds is out only because of price ($2K+). I'm leaning toward the 1Ds3 for its pro build and controls, but the old LCD may disappoint. FYI, my other FF studio bodies are the D3X and A7ii. Any pearls of wisdom to share?

Edit: 5D4 is out.

Edited on Nov 07, 2017 at 10:50 AM · View previous versions

Nov 07, 2017 at 10:24 AM
cameron12x
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FF for $1K?

You won't get a used 5D4 for $1K in the next five years. Maybe a used 5D3 for $1K in 2 years. You can get used 6Ds for $1K (or less) today.

The 1DS III is a fine body, but it's older tech. That said, it still produces beautiful files.

I'd personally get a used 6D.

Nov 07, 2017 at 10:30 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FF for $1K?

Oops, I meant the 5D2 and 5D3—5D4 is clearly out. Am including 6D as a contender, thanks.

Nov 07, 2017 at 10:48 AM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FF for $1K?

It's pretty much 1Ds2, 1Ds3, 5D2, or 6D. Which of those you will prefer is going to come down to your ergonomics preference as all will have very similar IQ <ISO 800. If you use live view with any frequency then the 6D is the clear winner.

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:11 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FF for $1K?

Why grab an older Canon body instead of a non-AF adapter for the A7 II?

You only need to actuate the aperture on a T/S lens, after all.

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:16 AM
artsf
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FF for $1K?

6d is the best option in this price range, IMO. This camera is still competitive today.

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:40 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · FF for $1K?

6D, for sure.

For FF, I'm currently using two 6D and one 5DS. I've also owned 1DsIII, 5DII, and 1DX.

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:44 AM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · FF for $1K?

Just use it on the A7 ii first.

You might find you don't want to use it on any of the others mentioned.

I prefer TS lenses on Sony FF E mount than on current DSLRs.

If you don't like it, then you can get something else but it is certainly a decent option.

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:53 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · FF for $1K?

I'd probably go for the 5D3, though you might get a better price on a 5D2. The image quality of the latter is virtually the same as that on the former, and both should be fine for your purpose. The build of the 5D series cameras is more than sufficient for your use.

A 6D would also work well.

Dan

rico wrote:
Sorry for one of those stupid what-camera questions. My moribund Canon system is about to get a minty refresh in the form of a TS-E lens, specifically the new 135/4L. I can deploy it instantly on my ancient (and rock-solid) 1Ds, but slightly higher MP is attractive. For its intended life in the studio, high ISO performance is irrelevant. AF performance is irrelevant, too. My contenders are therefore the 5D2, 5D3 and 1Ds3 in used condition. A used 5Ds is out only because of price ($2K+). I'm leaning toward the 1Ds3 for its pro build and controls, but the
...Show more

Nov 07, 2017 at 01:07 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · FF for $1K?

I sold my A7r and heading back to Canon. First stop will be a 1Ds3. I had a 1Ds and the files were special.

Nov 07, 2017 at 01:18 PM
StevenSHH
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · FF for $1K?

6D II is around $1500 via grey market on ebay. IMHO, that should be the real price for 6D II.

Nov 07, 2017 at 01:51 PM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · FF for $1K?

For $1k? Get a used 6D

Nov 07, 2017 at 03:11 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · FF for $1K?

5d2 and 6d would both work and have similar performance and mpx.

Personally I prefer the 5d2 for the menu, familiarity, - cf card acceptance. Because I am familiar with 5d body.

But many prefer 6d
http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/canon/5d-mark-ii/vs/canon/6d/

In my mind they are so close that you should choose on simple things size, weight, cf vs sd, familiarity.

BTW - I tried the a7r that you can get for relatively low price but I really did not like the menu and hated the battery performance and it lead to many more things I needed by changed systems (like expensive lens, adapters....) If you are going Sony switch entirely - don't put your feet in both camps.

Nov 07, 2017 at 04:28 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · FF for $1K?

rico wrote:
Sorry for one of those stupid what-camera questions. My moribund Canon system is about to get a minty refresh in the form of a TS-E lens, specifically the new 135/4L. I can deploy it instantly on my ancient (and rock-solid) 1Ds, but slightly higher MP is attractive. For its intended life in the studio, high ISO performance is irrelevant. AF performance is irrelevant, too. My contenders are therefore the 5D2, 5D3 and 1Ds3 in used condition. A used 5Ds is out only because of price ($2K+). I'm leaning toward the 1Ds3 for its pro build and controls, but the
...Show more

The 1Ds3 LCD is the big drawback on the camera compared even a 1DIV. It doesn't, as far as I know, actually focus in live view. I've never tried tethering one, so I don't know if the image quality to an external monitor would be any better.

I'd suggest using your A7ii, or buy a 6D (not the 6D2) if you really want a new camera. As far as the sensor goes, the 6D2 apparently brings little new to the table over the 6D, maybe there were other useful improvements though.

Nov 07, 2017 at 05:07 PM
Mike Jacks0n
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · FF for $1K?

I think you'll get better value from the 5D3 if you can find a used body in the price range, but I have a friend that still use his 1Ds3 in the studio and swear by it. He prefers the files from it over his 1Dx, at least for the studio work.

If it were me I'd likely look to the 1Ds3, then 5D3 (not likely to find a good used one for less than $1300 though), then the 5D2/1Ds2. However, bias warning, personally my choices are a little skewed by the 1D bodies... I just love the size and feel.

Nov 07, 2017 at 07:20 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · FF for $1K?

Awesome feedback from all, and I thank you! Will research the 6D and keep the 1Ds3 as Plan B (mostly for familiarity). Regarding the A7ii, it really has miserable handling and a menu system from hell. It does have an effective live view for my all-manual Zeiss 100mm bellows tilt/shift lens, but the most suitable adapter (Metabones) for Canon glass is $400 and will create a seriously imbalanced load with over 1kg hanging out there. Better to get the native body, and also enjoy some sane ergonomics.

Nov 07, 2017 at 07:25 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · FF for $1K?

rico wrote:

the most suitable adapter (Metabones) for Canon glass is $400

Which readily justifies your budget to become $1,400-ish in native mount.

Nov 07, 2017 at 08:08 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · FF for $1K?

Because I'm worth it!

Nov 07, 2017 at 08:24 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · FF for $1K?

I was looking at the 1Ds3 a while back, and the battery and charger price turned me off. I think it was $165 for a battery, $350 for a charger.

I thought the 1Ds2 might be a better option, due to the Ni-MH battery.

I am looking at this thread myself and getting recommendations.

Nov 07, 2017 at 08:25 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · FF for $1K?

But if you are getting the lens anyway, and already have a A7ii, the cheapest smart adapters are less than $100.

Of course if you don't get on so well with the camera, that is a different issue but for me it would be different.

Nov 07, 2017 at 09:00 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.