Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Best m43 dynamic range sensor?

hnaa

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best m43 dynamic range sensor?

Hey everyone,
so, I have been looking for a smaller camera to compliment my Nikon D610. I was initially looking at a Sony A7II, but with lenses being just as large (and expensive!) it really doesn't make sense when I already have the D610. So, I'm looking at the m43 cameras.

Concretely I've been looking at getting a used E-M1 with grip(can't afford mkII), new G80/85 with grip or new GX8. I have quite large hands, hence the grips/GX8. I will primarily be taking the camera on travels and hikes, shooting landscapes, so I would like to get a pretty good dynamic range. Which of the above cameras would you recommend?

Also, is the shutter shock on the GX8 as big of an issue as some make of it? (I almost only shoot primes, and as I understand it, the shutter shock primarily affected a couple of longer zooms, but it is a little confusing, so I may have gotten that wrong).

Nov 07, 2017 at 01:27 PM
imxkal
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best m43 dynamic range sensor?

hnaa wrote:
Hey everyone,
so, I have been looking for a smaller camera to compliment my Nikon D610. I was initially looking at a Sony A7II, but with lenses being just as large (and expensive!) it really doesn't make sense when I already have the D610. So, I'm looking at the m43 cameras.

Concretely I've been looking at getting a used E-M1 with grip(can't afford mkII), new G80/85 with grip or new GX8. I have quite large hands, hence the grips/GX8. I will primarily be taking the camera on travels and hikes, shooting landscapes, so I would like to get a pretty good
...Show more

Going from a gripped G85 to a GX8, I would say the GX8 is more comfortable. I have huge hands as well.
As for the GX8 shutter shock, i havent had any issues yet.

Nov 09, 2017 at 09:44 PM
darrellc
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best m43 dynamic range sensor?

DR of the new 20mp sensor is a bit better (I have the GH5, dynamic range is noticeably better than the various m4/3 12 and 16mp cameras I've had over the years), I think the only thing in your price range would be an used Pen F.

I know this is the m4/3 forum, but may be worth looking at Fuji or Sony APS-C if you are looking for more dynamic range.

Nov 09, 2017 at 10:47 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best m43 dynamic range sensor?

I have a GX8, and think its fantastic. Has it got the best DR of any other m43 camera? I don't know. I shoot in raw, and can't really see any of the other 20mp m43 cameras being any better, even the new G9. JPG would be a different matter though, as it uses a newer jpg engine

Also, my GX8, compliments my D750

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:31 PM
hnaa

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best m43 dynamic range sensor?

Thanks for the replies!
Well, I did fondle a number of cameras in the local store. Sony a6300 was way to small, if they had a grip it would be fine (I have never had good experiences with non-OEM grips). X-T2 was almost good sizewise, but the grip was definately not deep enough, so no room for my fingers. The GX8 seemed just right, with just enough room for all my fingers, and a nice pronounced grip. I have yet to try a G85.
It seems that several of you guys are happy with the GX8, have you had any bad experiences with shutter shock? Or did it maybe only affect earlier, or some, batches? I have read tons of threads about the issue, but remain confused....

Nov 10, 2017 at 08:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best m43 dynamic range sensor?

Its not something I experienced at all with my GX8. Maybe I have just been lucky

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:40 PM
savingspaces
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best m43 dynamic range sensor?

hnaa wrote:
Thanks for the replies!
Well, I did fondle a number of cameras in the local store. Sony a6300 was way to small, if they had a grip it would be fine (I have never had good experiences with non-OEM grips). X-T2 was almost good sizewise, but the grip was definately not deep enough, so no room for my fingers. The GX8 seemed just right, with just enough room for all my fingers, and a nice pronounced grip. I have yet to try a G85.
It seems that several of you guys are happy with the GX8, have you had any
...Show more

I have only seen one person ever claim that their D610/D600 didnít have oily shutter issues.

Just get the camera you feel comfortable with and enjoy taking photographs.

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:27 PM
figure five

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best m43 dynamic range sensor?

I have bigger hands and have used a million cameras. The gx8 ergonomics feel just right to me. And the offset viewfinder means no hunching shoulders to scrunch my eye to the finder. With the RF -like design you can have a relaxed upper body and face which I definitely prefer.

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:56 PM
figure five

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best m43 dynamic range sensor?

Oh and re: DR if shot in raw and with judicious NR the files are very clean at the lower ISOs. (800 or less IMO). For landscape without a tripod that is easily achievable with image stabilization in the various Panasonic / Leica bodies and lenses. With a tripod you will be just fine with this sensor for very large prints if you are inclined.

Nov 12, 2017 at 12:00 AM
riotshield
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best m43 dynamic range sensor?

I think all of the MFT cameras in the last 5 years or so are in the 12-13 EV dynamic range range, most being closer to 12 (I think only the E-M1 II and GH-5 are close to 13). In any event, significantly below the 14 1/2 EV of the D610.

I have to say that the DR of my E-M10's are pretty limiting for high-contrast situations. Even at base ISO, when lifting shadows there is significant noise and posterization. It's probably the biggest difference I noticed (aside from DOF) coming from the D610.

Two small cameras that really impressed me with their DR are the Nikon Coolpix A and Ricoh GR. Both fixed 28mm equivalents, but very clean at base ISO even when pushing the shadows.

Nov 12, 2017 at 02:11 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password