FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Dalles Mountain Ranch

danthebiker
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

I took the long way between Bend, OR and Portland this morning and decided that I would just stop in and see this area this time of year. This Car has been posted here before, by me and by others. It is kind of a local photo icon, but usually you see pictures of it surrounded by Balsamroot and lupine flowers in the springtime. These photos are great, but I wanted to see if I could get a different mood from it this time. Let me know what you think!
Thanks for Viewing!
Dan

Nov 07, 2017 at 06:18 AM
EGrav
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

Color

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:13 PM
DaleBerlin
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

I'm sure most will like color, but for me, the B&W is lightyears ahead.

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:27 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

Dan - The B/W seems to be a little more blown out in the sky - lacking the dynamic range that I see in the color. For the context of no flowers/approaching winter I think B/W is the way to go but knock down the sky and highlights so that it looks more stormy and add some vignetting.
Dave

Nov 07, 2017 at 03:45 PM
danthebiker
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

Hey thanks for the feedback Dave. I tried pulling back the highlights in the clouds when I first processed this photo, but the end result was to much grey, not enough contrast. I personally like the black and white version better, it is kind of what I had in mind when I took the picture, but I think it needs a brighter point to complete the scale. I will see if I can't re work it and bring back some highlight details. I might need to go back and find better conditions, something with better lit clouds. Thanks again Dave.
dbehrens wrote:
Dan - The B/W seems to be a little more blown out in the sky - lacking the dynamic range that I see in the color. For the context of no flowers/approaching winter I think B/W is the way to go but knock down the sky and highlights so that it looks more stormy and add some vignetting.
Dave

Nov 07, 2017 at 03:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Don George
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

Love that color one. The sky really sets it off

Nov 07, 2017 at 09:42 PM
DaleBerlin
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

Hey Dan, my software shows the brightest sky at zone 9, so its not blown out, perhaps less contrast would help the "blown out" look in that area. The only zone 10 is very small, and on the horizon between the door and right edge. It is just above a dark blob on the hill, which BTW is not in the color version.

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:33 PM
danthebiker
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

DaleBerlin wrote:
Hey Dan, my software shows the brightest sky at zone 9, so its not blown out, perhaps less contrast would help the "blown out" look in that area. The only zone 10 is very small, and on the horizon between the door and right edge. It is just above a dark blob on the hill, which BTW is not in the color version.

Hi Dale Thanks again for the feedback. I went back and did some more work to it. I think I am happier with it now. What kind of Software are you using to read the zones? That would be fairly helpful. I usually just judge the grey scale based on appearances. I spent a fair amount of time in the dark room when I was younger, so I got pretty good at that for the most part but I am sure it isn't perfect. Here is the new edit. I think it is an improvement.
Cheers,
Dan

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:17 AM
DaleBerlin
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

Agree, better texture in the bright area now, cool shot. I use NIK's Siver Efex Pro sometimes for B&W. If nothing else, I use it to see what an image's zone distribution is. It is a good tool, and it is free

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:02 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

Color! Rust has its great characteristics but the b/w is also very well done.....they would compliment each other is a dual photo frame.
Dan

Nov 10, 2017 at 01:18 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password