New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Gateway to another time

lighthound
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gateway to another time

I wasn't going to process this one at first because I didn't like the comp as well as the other one I have already posted.

But then I played a little and think this might work with a slightly different twist.

I was inspired to go this direction with this image due to something strange happening as I clicked my first shot.

I was setup and making my first shot from this position when I noticed someone had jumped into my frame on the other side of the bridge opening. As I sat there scratching my head I saw him again and this time I got a good look at him. He was dressed up as some type of Viking wielding a sword and a shield and adorned with a fur collared long cape.

Yeah... That's what I said.

It had struck me as though I were looking through some type of time warp or Gateway to another time.
So, that lead me to working up this image in an attempt to convey this as best I know how but in reverse if you will.

And in hindsight I really wish I would have asked him if I could take some shots of him. What was I thinking!
Oh yeah that's right, I'm NOT a people kinda guy.

Not my normal thing so I'd like to hear any good or bad with this one.

Dave

The Gateway

Canon EOS 6D Mark II    EF24-70mm f/4L IS USM lens    26mm    f/11.0    2s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 07, 2017 at 03:43 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gateway to another time

Out with the new glass, I see.

Imo ... even without the title or the backstory, it has a compelling simplicity of well integrated components that take your viewer precisely where you want them to go. We really have little choice, but to proceed through your portal. No matter how much we might wander about the foreground before we get pulled through to the other side, we are gonna go there.

I dig on the brighter tonal value "connect the dots" of the stream whitewater, the lower left archway stones and then the "other side" to guide us in. Even the arch "points the way".

A possible suggestion might be to reduce the tonal value of the foliage on "this side", and maybe even a bit in the foreground leaves on the banks, etc.

Possibly (or not), you may want to trim a bit off some of the foliage there. It kinda makes for a mild "ping-pong" effect. Still, as is, quite nice.

A few selective tonal value tweaks, per above (no crop).

BTW, I see you are continuing to embrace "50 + legs" rather nicely.
Imo, there just seems to be something about working this way that slows you down such you better connect with your scene.
And, ain't that flippy just a joy to use when set up on legs.

Again, another nice one.

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:34 AM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gateway to another time

Thanks Kent! I was a little worried on this one as I know "selective color" is frowned upon so I made sure this side still retained a little to tie them together. Good to know I didn't go too far with it.

I like what you did with the FG and foliage tones. Once again, it's reassuring to hear this because I had already hit those areas pretty hard because they were very bright compared to the rest of the scene.
This helps me understand how far I can push and pull things such as this.

Yeah, the 50 is something I've been trying for awhile. I always have used a set of legs and feel lost without them. To a fault actually, because I'll hike miles lugging them around rather than just using the IS and higher ISO. With water involved it is a nice alternative to adding a CPL or ND though.

I do think I'm seeing a hit on the DR though, but haven't taken the time to evaluate and compare. Something I need to do one of these days.
Of course it could simply be because I'm using such a POS obsolete body.
It's been yielding simply horrible results for me so far.

Dave

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:52 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gateway to another time

I agree the other is so good that this one struggles, It would look pretty good had I never seen the other, but it is now the standard for comparison.

Nov 07, 2017 at 05:58 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gateway to another time

ben egbert wrote:
I agree the other is so good that this one struggles, It would look pretty good had I never seen the other, but it is now the standard for comparison.

Thanks Ben. I do like the other image better myself, and can see they are still just too similar even though I tried to play with muted color vs color here on this one. That's pretty much the same reaction I've been getting from the family as well. But wth, it was fun trying something new and experimenting a little.

Not sure how it hits you, but with the end of this fall season coming to a close, I find myself mentally bracing myself for the "slow season".
But!!! Thankfully I have a HUGE backlog of images from this summer that I still need to look through and process over the winter.
Strategic planning! Yeah that's what it is! Strategic planning.

Dave

Nov 08, 2017 at 06:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gateway to another time

Hi Dave, I am just too efficient, I normally have my images processed the next day, at least the first pass. For a week long trip, it may take up to a week, but that's it. I sometimes reprocess an image over and over just to have something to do, or to perfect it.

I have been out of the loop now for 2 months with just the occasional escape or odd venue photo like the bowling alley or my granddaughters 15th birthday. In two weeks I get shoulder surgery and will have my right arm in a sling for weeks afterward, not expecting to do much photography then, Heck even using the computer will be a challenge as I am right handed. The only thing I use my left hand for is my watch.

Nov 08, 2017 at 06:28 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gateway to another time

It also helps that you're luckily retired now and have the leisure of time on your side to crunch through your images. I get maybe an hour or two a few nights during the week which doesn't work so well when you're a spaz with A.D.D. like me. Oh look, a squirrel!

Well dang! I guess I got it easy compared to what your end of season is shaping up to be.

Boy, I never thought about that before, but trying to edit images with my left hand doesn't sound like fun at all.

I hope your surgery goes well and you heal up quickly. You better start using that left hand now so you can ease into it and just switch over to your right hand when you get frustrated.
You'll be back to normal in no time though so don't sweat it too much.

Dave

Nov 08, 2017 at 06:58 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gateway to another time

I could use a shadow boost if you feel it, but the moody look is nice too.

Digging the shot but it's second fiddle to the other side. Simple, but still well-executed.

Want to come babysit so I can get out?

Jeff

Nov 09, 2017 at 12:35 AM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gateway to another time

beavens wrote:
I could use a shadow boost if you feel it, but the moody look is nice too.

Digging the shot but it's second fiddle to the other side. Simple, but still well-executed.

Want to come babysit so I can get out?

Jeff

Hey stranger! Thanks for poking your head in and commenting. I was actually thinking of you when I was set up on the other side shooting it. I was remembering what you had said on a previous post I had made similar to that one but in bad harsh light. You had suggested to get down into that water and go in tighter on the bridge.

So I did! And you were right!

Oh, and you do know they make little backpack things you can stuff little ones in right?
You just have to stop and change them diapers in between shots is all.

Nothing that I don't have to do with myself from time to time now that I'm getting older(ish).

Dave

Nov 09, 2017 at 02:08 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password