New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Bowling

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bowling

This is for the theme "light"

Like to hear which works best and if I need to do anything with them.

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:15 AM
DaleBerlin
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bowling

I like #1 Ben. I think the lines and dots at the bottom help this image a lot.

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:44 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bowling

Thanks for responding Dale. I was not sure if context helped or hurt. Always good to get outside opinions.

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:54 AM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bowling

ben egbert wrote:
Thanks for responding Dale. I was not sure if context helped or hurt. Always good to get outside opinions.

HI Ben and agree with Dale, it's #1 for me. The bottom portion gives it context with the street where I "live".

Nov 07, 2017 at 03:26 AM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bowling

+1 @ #2 but with one nit.

The arrow makes me want to see a little extra negative space on the right. Got any room over there to add some back in?

I do like how there is very little if any "beeld-off" from the lights and how it goes to nearly complete black making it look like the neon is floating.

Good stuff Ben!

Dave

Nov 07, 2017 at 03:53 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bowling

lighthound wrote:

a little extra negative space

How's this for a "little" extra negative space.

Ben Egbert 2017

Ben Egbert 2017

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:03 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bowling

FYI,

I added Ben's "likeness" per DMCA language (similar to as I did for RH).

Technically, this could be considered a derivative work, and arguably, I could have applied my likeness. But, even though the law may afford for such "derivative work" ... philosophically, I don't agree with such derivative work infers change in ownership (sans authorization). Imo, it remains Ben's no matter the iteration. Rather we're merely contributors (just like the lab doesn't get credit for color adjustments, etc.).

Minimally, I think it could be credited as a JV (safeguarding the source creator) when someone performs derivative works (i.e. if I wanted credit at all), then it should be either Ben Egbert or Ben Egbert / K. Southers vs. K. Southers (only) ... but, imo never should the original creator be omitted from derivative works. However, that's not what the law affords, and they didn't ask me to write it.

Why add it at all ... I just felt like this could have commercial appeal for marketing and I wanted to protect Ben (just in case).

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:53 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bowling

Thanks a lot guys, guess I know what to do here. Kent, this is great stuff you did here. I am just responding to a forum challenge and I don't think these folks advertise. This is a mom and pop place that's been here forever.

Nov 07, 2017 at 04:03 PM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bowling

ben egbert wrote:
Thanks a lot guys, guess I know what to do here. Kent, this is great stuff you did here. I am just responding to a forum challenge and I don't think these folks advertise. This is a mom and pop place that's been here forever.

Really nice to see you exploring the "urban" landscape. A lot of possible directions for you to go with your knowledge, experience, and sophisticated eye.

Steve

Nov 07, 2017 at 06:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bowling

The non photographers at FB prefered the 2nd, Kent seems to as well, but I went with the first as is. I don't normally participate in assignments, but the forum is so small it needs lots of help.

I could not bring myself to use Kent', because well it's Kent's, not mine

Nov 07, 2017 at 06:01 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bowling

ben egbert wrote:
I don't normally participate in assignments, but the forum is so small it needs lots of help.

Ben, is this over at Jim's site?

Jeff

Nov 07, 2017 at 06:33 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bowling

#1, lights anchor the image.

Here's hoping for a strike (actually brings back memories of many Friday nights spent "bowling" (Game of 9-ball anyone - quarter and a half) in high school years).

Good to see your wild side Ben

Bob

Nov 07, 2017 at 08:27 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Bowling

beavens wrote:
Ben, is this over at Jim's site?

Jeff

Yes it is. We were getting too many landscapes masquerading as "light" shots.

Nov 07, 2017 at 09:34 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Bowling

Bob Jarman wrote:
#1, lights anchor the image.

Here's hoping for a strike (actually brings back memories of many Friday nights spent "bowling" (Game of 9-ball anyone - quarter and a half) in high school years).

Good to see your wild side Ben

Bob

Thanks Bob, it was wild, I had to stand in the middle of the street in the dark to get the shot and really surprised at how many cares used this side street that time of night. I would get a shot, move back to let a car or two pass then go back for another. .

Nov 07, 2017 at 09:36 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Bowling

Yes, I'd agree with going with #1 between the two OP images.

I just couldn't resist Dave's request and may have, ummm ... s t r e t c h e d ... things a bit.

Nov 08, 2017 at 01:02 AM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Bowling

The two images are beautiful as is. But ss a street photographer, the direction I would take this is to go back during the day and photograph the sign giving it the surrounding context, from the same angle. And then make a dyptych of the two images. I think it would be powerful, contrasting the day with the night. Just an idea, my mind works in strange ways.

Steve

Nov 08, 2017 at 01:25 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Bowling

ben egbert wrote:
Yes it is. We were getting too many landscapes masquerading as "light" shots.

Ha good - for a second I was *really* confused.

IMO #1 is stronger as a complete image. Were the subject be something like 'neon' or 'graphic' or 'clean' I'd go with #2.

Jeff

.edit just want to emphasize that I REALLY like #2 on its own - awesome graphic shot.

Nov 09, 2017 at 12:14 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password