Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

How Many of You have Experienced Buyers Backing Out?

BenjaminSmith
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How Many of You have Experienced Buyers Backing Out?

I just had a buyer express interest, agree on price, and then...nothing.

First time that's happened to me here on FM. It's normally the kind of behavior reserved for local craigslist transactions, where I've had buyers not show up at least 4 or 5 times.

I am not hugely miffed or considering bad feedback, as he hasn't actually bought anything from me, but it is annoying nonetheless.

How often has this happened to you?

Nov 07, 2017 at 01:03 AM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How Many of You have Experienced Buyers Backing Out?

I am seeing quite a bit of this as well. I wonder if we are being played off against each other...

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:28 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How Many of You have Experienced Buyers Backing Out?

I had a FM buyer in the US back out of a deal by refusing to pay the import handling fees and local sales tax. Of course, I warned him about them, and even provided a reliable estimate of what it would cost, but he turned it down, anyway. I think he got cold feet. The lens was returned to me by the courier, who left it on my front doorstep.

P.S. I forgot to mention, it was a Canon EF 300/2.8 L IS, like new, original hard case, and etc..

Edited on Nov 07, 2017 at 04:55 PM · View previous versions

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:41 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How Many of You have Experienced Buyers Backing Out?

It's worse when a seller backs out, with excuses about having dropped the item in question and "damaging it" then sells it to somebody else who offered more.

Nov 07, 2017 at 05:16 AM
genji
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How Many of You have Experienced Buyers Backing Out?

BenjaminSmith wrote:
I just had a buyer express interest, agree on price, and then...nothing.

First time that's happened to me here on FM. It's normally the kind of behavior reserved for local craigslist transactions, where I've had buyers not show up at least 4 or 5 times.

I am not hugely miffed or considering bad feedback, as he hasn't actually bought anything from me, but it is annoying nonetheless.

How often has this happened to you?

Did the buyer have a feedback score? And if so, what was it? I haven't sold all that many items on FM but I always consider existing feedback before proceeding with a sale. I would never sell to anyone with no feedback at all.

Nov 07, 2017 at 10:14 AM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How Many of You have Experienced Buyers Backing Out?

Tire kicking is commonand does not bother me much. Worse is when an agreement is reached and the other party fails to honor that agreement. I have had that occur in the past and have long thought in provable cases that negative feedback should be allowed, but the system at present only allows feedback where a sale was completed.

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:59 PM
CMYK Designs
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How Many of You have Experienced Buyers Backing Out?

I have been an avid eBay'r since 1999 and have a feedback score of over 6,000. I guess I have become somewhat immune to the non-payers, post sale negotiators, etc.

I have adopted the rule, "Move on and don't waste a minute on it". If they don't buy it, someone else will. If they don't like it, I take it back and re-list it.

As they say in the used car business, "There's an a** for every seat". So it may be just the wrong a** or the wrong seat, but someone else will benefit from their loss! Good Luck!

Nov 07, 2017 at 01:20 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How Many of You have Experienced Buyers Backing Out?

CMYK Designs wrote:
I have been an avid eBay'r since 1999 and have a feedback score of over 6,000. I guess I have become somewhat immune to the non-payers, post sale negotiators, etc.

I have adopted the rule, "Move on and don't waste a minute on it". If they don't buy it, someone else will. If they don't like it, I take it back and re-list it.

As they say in the used car business, "There's an a** for every seat". So it may be just the wrong a** or the wrong seat, but someone else will benefit from their loss! Good Luck!

Yup... I feel the same way.

I had a recent sale on Ebay for underwater housing for a Sony RX100V. The guy bought / received it... and wanted to return it because he changed his mind!! No other reason...

I took it back no questions asked even though I am not a retailer of any kind. Years ago I would have made a big deal about it...

I relisted and sold it the following day after receiving it back...

Not worth the aggravation.

Nov 07, 2017 at 04:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

retrofocus
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How Many of You have Experienced Buyers Backing Out?

Happened to me once when trying to sell a tripod head on Amazon. Saying this, Amazon is extremely good protecting buyers but it bears a risk for sellers: the potential buyer ordered the well described and listed item to me, I shipped it to the address. The buyer received the package and then decided to return the package with one of the arbitrary "excuse" reasons Amazon offers to the buyers as possible reasons to return an order. Problem here is that the seller has a loss with the shipping fees spent, and the item is taken off the selling platform during this shipping&return time for others being interested to look at and consider buying.

Nov 07, 2017 at 04:33 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How Many of You have Experienced Buyers Backing Out?

I have only bought here one lens (my Contax Zeiss 50/1.4 MM), which wasnt exactly fluid buy and lens has actually back element in pretty bad shape. Tho I still use it and its not bad unless shot against bright light..

Kinda hoped for more.

Nov 07, 2017 at 04:42 PM
butlerkid
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How Many of You have Experienced Buyers Backing Out?

This summer I was interested in a tripod on FM. Seller was obviously PM'ing multiple members at the same time, working them to outbid each other.

Guess I have old school ethics. If I enter into negotiations with a seller (or buyer), I expect them to negotiate with me in good faith. NOT hold a bidding contest.

That has been my only poor experience on FM. And I have not had a poor experience on another photography forum. In most cases, I end up with new friends after buying or selling an item! !

Nov 07, 2017 at 06:09 PM
pasblues
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How Many of You have Experienced Buyers Backing Out?

We are dearly, dearly fortunate to have FM as a marketplace.

Nov 07, 2017 at 10:53 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How Many of You have Experienced Buyers Backing Out?

pasblues wrote:
We are dearly, dearly fortunate to have FM as a marketplace.

Yup... 100% agree.

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:17 PM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How Many of You have Experienced Buyers Backing Out?

One or two times. No big deal. If the buyers do not want it, you can't force them to buy your stuff....

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:38 PM
DesertRhino
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How Many of You have Experienced Buyers Backing Out?

I had to back out of a deal last minute very recently for financial reasons. No money was exchanged. Fortunately the seller had another buyer lined up, but I still felt bad about it as Iíve been on the receiving end a few times and I know itís frustrating. When I sell, I donít assume itís complete transaction until the item is received and confirmed accepted.

Nov 12, 2017 at 09:57 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password