Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Peak Design Launches Redesigned Capture v3, Slide and Sli...

iazybandit
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Peak Design Launches Redesigned Capture v3, Slide and Slide Lite

Peak Design just launched their 7th Kickstarter campaign.

The Capture V3 is smoother, smaller, thinner and lighter. It comes in black and silver. There's also a new updated ProPad.

The Slide and Slide Lite, are slightly redesigned with smoother webbing, better padding. It's available in black and ash.

There's a lot more info and pictures at http://www.1kindphotography.com/2017/11/kickstarter-peak-design-redesigned-capture-clip-slide-lite-strap.html

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:15 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Peak Design Launches Redesigned Capture v3, Slide and Slide Lite

Maybe I'm just dense, but why does Peak Design need to launch another Kickstarter campaign to update products it already developed through previous Kickstarter campaigns?

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:30 AM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Peak Design Launches Redesigned Capture v3, Slide and Slide Lite

gregfountain wrote:
Maybe I'm just dense, but why does Peak Design need to launch another Kickstarter campaign to update products it already developed through previous Kickstarter campaigns?

Probably to use the funds raised from their campaign for manufacturing, etc. Versus spending their own money upfront to manufacture the product. It's a smart move for businesses because it shifts the financial risk from your own pockets to the consumer, and it also helps with gauging product demand upfront rather than on the back end, which can be pricey.

The first risk isn't really significant if the business is established, like Peak Design. Consumers can pre-order their products with minimal fear that Peak Design will go belly up. There's still a risk of that happening but not as much imo.

Seems like a win-win for business and consumer. Peak Design gets upfront money and can determine demand, and consumers get a discount from retail.

With that said, I already have the Capture Clip and Pad Pod, and it's a pretty decent product. Need to figure out the best way to use it for my purposes. I'm looking into maybe getting the Swing Lite for my Canon m5.

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:36 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Peak Design Launches Redesigned Capture v3, Slide and Slide Lite

gregfountain wrote:

I know, right? I thought the same thing- an established company using Kickstarter just seems like it is abusing the spirit of KS; whatever that 'spirit' is.

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:48 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Peak Design Launches Redesigned Capture v3, Slide and Slide Lite

Paul Mo wrote:
I know, right? I thought the same thing- an established company using Kickstarter just seems like it is abusing the spirit of KS; whatever that 'spirit' is.

That's what I was getting at. They are established, yet as Paul says, they are still expecting the consumer to take the risk in funding their product updates. I can sort of see them going this route for a completely new product, but for just updating what they've already created....nope.

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:27 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Peak Design Launches Redesigned Capture v3, Slide and Slide Lite

Peak Design is not the only company to follow that path. I believe each model of Platypod started as a Kickstarter campaign.

Nov 07, 2017 at 03:35 AM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Peak Design Launches Redesigned Capture v3, Slide and Slide Lite

Ming-Tzu wrote:
With that said, I already have the Capture Clip and Pad Pod, and it's a pretty decent product. Need to figure out the best way to use it for my purposes. I'm looking into maybe getting the Swing Lite for my Canon m5.

I have the M5 and the Slide Lite would be perfect for the camera. The only issues is that the anchor does not really fit into the hole. I ended up buying a metal ring lug - GRIMM D-SLR Mirrorless Camera Strap Leather Lug Ring Cover This works perfect. Let me know if you need pics.

Nov 07, 2017 at 03:52 AM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Peak Design Launches Redesigned Capture v3, Slide and Slide Lite

DanBrown wrote:
Peak Design is not the only company to follow that path. I believe each model of Platypod started as a Kickstarter campaign.

There is a whole lot more. Pebble Watch. It was the most funded "smartwatch" but they still came back to Kickstarter for Pebble 2 and the defunct Pebble 3. There are a lot more that were successful and have went back onto Kickstarter.

Nov 07, 2017 at 03:54 AM
spooky action
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Peak Design Launches Redesigned Capture v3, Slide and Slide Lite

Can anyone who has used the Slide and BlackRapid slings comment on whether they prefer one over the other?

I have the BR sling, which I generally like and use often enough. However, I donít like how it allows the camera to flop around at my side, especially with a 24-70 mounted, for example. Itís also a little annoying having to remove it from the camera to allow use of a tripod.

Iím sure the Slide has its flaws, so Iím curious which people prefer as I consider this Kickstarter deal.

Thoughts on the Capture are also appreciated, including if anyone uses it in conjunction with a Domke shoulder bag (possibly redundant, I recognize).

Nov 07, 2017 at 01:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Peak Design Launches Redesigned Capture v3, Slide and Slide Lite

spooky action wrote:
Can anyone who has used the Slide and BlackRapid slings comment on whether they prefer one over the other?

I have the BR sling, which I generally like and use often enough. However, I donít like how it allows the camera to flop around at my side, especially with a 24-70 mounted, for example. Itís also a little annoying having to remove it from the camera to allow use of a tripod.

Iím sure the Slide has its flaws, so Iím curious which people prefer as I consider this Kickstarter deal.

Thoughts on the Capture are also appreciated, including if
...Show more
I've used both and I prefer the Slide. I use both 24-70 and 70-200

BlackRapid - single attachment point that occupies tripod screw. So if you want to mount to a tripod, you have to take off the lug. It bounces around and slides when leaning.

Slide - you have different ways of mounting the anchor points. Either on the eyelets, bottom of camera, combination of both. The strap cinches so that it is closer to your body. It does swing but you can swing it to the back to keep it out of the way. You can leave the strap on and use your tripod. There's no metal hardware. It's not as bulky either.

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:40 PM
spooky action
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Peak Design Launches Redesigned Capture v3, Slide and Slide Lite

iazybandit wrote:

BlackRapid - single attachment point that occupies tripod screw. So if you want to mount to a tripod, you have to take off the lug. It bounces around and slides when leaning.

Slide - you have different ways of mounting the anchor points. Either on the eyelets, bottom of camera, combination of both. The strap cinches so that it is closer to your body. It does swing but you can swing it to the back to keep it out of the way. You can leave the strap on
...Show more

Thanks. I think the marketing materials confirm this, but can the Slide attach/work with an L bracket at the bottom of the camera without getting in the way seamless attachment to an arca-equipped tripod?

Edit: Disregard. Iíve confirmed this.

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:46 PM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Peak Design Launches Redesigned Capture v3, Slide and Slide Lite

iazybandit wrote:

Slide - you have different ways of mounting the anchor points. Either on the eyelets, bottom of camera, combination of both. The strap cinches so that it is closer to your body. It does swing but you can swing it to the back to keep it out of the way. You can leave the strap on
...Show more

I've mainly used the Black Rapid strap for my DSLR setup as well. Don't have a setup for my mirrorless gear. Good to hear you prefer the Peak Design straps. The BR has worked for me but always looking for easier solutions. Might get the Slide and Slide Lite, and compare to my BR setup when I get the Peak Design items.

What's the durability like with the Peak Design straps and attachments (e.g. anchors, etc.)? I know others find it inconvenient but the metal BR attachment in the tripod socket seems solid as a rock for me, and security is #1 priority for me.

Nov 07, 2017 at 09:43 PM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Peak Design Launches Redesigned Capture v3, Slide and Slide Lite

Ming-Tzu wrote:
I've mainly used the Black Rapid strap for my DSLR setup as well. Don't have a setup for my mirrorless gear. Good to hear you prefer the Peak Design straps. The BR has worked for me but always looking for easier solutions. Might get the Slide and Slide Lite, and compare to my BR setup when I get the Peak Design items.

What's the durability like with the Peak Design straps and attachments (e.g. anchors, etc.)? I know others find it inconvenient but the metal BR attachment in the tripod socket seems solid as a rock for me, and security is
...Show more
The PD I feel is definitely an easier solution. No metal hardware and easy to disconnect if needed.

The durability of the PD straps and anchors are very very good. I've had no issues with the straps. The anchors are kevlar and each anchor holds up to 200lbs. If there are no holes to attach the anchors, you can sandwich it between the camera and tripod plate (it does include a small plate but not tripod compatible). You also have different ways of mounting it to your camera whereas with BR, its only at the bottom of the camera. With PD, you can mount it to the bottom only, one at the bottom and the other on the eyelet or both on the eyelet like a traditional neck strap.

Nov 08, 2017 at 02:22 PM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Peak Design Launches Redesigned Capture v3, Slide and Slide Lite

Pulled the trigger and pre-ordered the Slide and Slide Lite. Regarding the anchor links, it sounds like there are three possible connection points for each camera (e.g. both eyelets and the tripod socket), and you get four anchor links per purchase.

When people want to switch up how they hold the camera (e.g. sling, shoulder, neck), do they switch the anchor points to fit their need? Or do they put one anchor point in each connection point, for each camera, and attach the strap to whichever anchors they need to use for the day? I guess the real question is how difficult is it to insert and remove the anchor points from the eyelets and tripod socket?

I have stubby fingers so I assume the answer is very difficult haha

Nov 08, 2017 at 05:29 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Peak Design Launches Redesigned Capture v3, Slide and Slide Lite

I like Peak products. Started with the Capture which I don't use much any more. Moved on to the Cuff (used all the time), Leash (used all the time) and Slide. The main problem with the Slide is that when wearing it cross-body, it feels too short, and in that sense I prefer the Black Rapid when using heavier camera-lens combos. I have the original of all three straps, so not sure what's changed. If they've lengthened the max length on the Slide I might try it again.

Regarding the connectors, I'm still on first generation products and haven't had a failure. It's really well thought out and the anchors take up very little room and are essentially weightless. I keep 2 on each L-bracket on the handstrap loop, and have extras in the bag I can slip onto the camera body eyelets if needed.

For what it's worth, I also use the Peak Sling and that bag is awesome. It bumped my beloved Billingham Hadley Pro as it accommodates the Sony A7 bodies a bit better, and the tripod attachment is actually useful for a small travel tripod.

Nov 08, 2017 at 08:54 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Peak Design Launches Redesigned Capture v3, Slide and Slide Lite

gregfountain wrote:

Ming-Tzu wrote:
Probably to use the funds raised from their campaign for manufacturing, etc. Versus spending their own money upfront to manufacture the product. It's a smart move for businesses because it shifts the financial risk from your own pockets to the consumer, and it also helps with gauging product demand upfront rather than on the back end, which can be pricey.

The first risk isn't really significant if the business is established, like Peak Design. Consumers can pre-order their products with minimal fear that Peak Design will go belly up. There's still a risk of that happening but not as much imo.

Seems
...Show more

It's mainly a win for the Kickstand starter. The consumer pays money and waits.
Meanwhile the consumer may have changed plans and not need the product anymore. Alternatively, a properly capitalized company may have brought a more desirable product to market in the interim.

I can understand paying a reasonable deposit for some items that are not ready for delivery, such as a new home or specially optioned vehicle, but it is not 100%.

EBH

Nov 09, 2017 at 12:36 AM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Peak Design Launches Redesigned Capture v3, Slide and Slide Lite

Ming-Tzu wrote:
Pulled the trigger and pre-ordered the Slide and Slide Lite. Regarding the anchor links, it sounds like there are three possible connection points for each camera (e.g. both eyelets and the tripod socket), and you get four anchor links per purchase.

When people want to switch up how they hold the camera (e.g. sling, shoulder, neck), do they switch the anchor points to fit their need? Or do they put one anchor point in each connection point, for each camera, and attach the strap to whichever anchors they need to use for the day? I guess the real question is how
...Show more
It all depends. I personally have only 2 anchors. The additional anchors can be put towards other camera gear or as back ups. The anchor cords do get worn out. But there are color indicators inside that let you know. Of the 3+ years that I've been using the anchors, I never had to replace them.

It is easy to insert and remove the anchors. You install them via cowhitch - see towards the middle of the review - http://www.1kindphotography.com/2014/09/review-peak-design-slide-camera-sling-strap.html

I just got the Capture V3 (silver), Slide (ash), Slide Lite (black) and ProPad in the mail for review. I'll have a full review and unboxing video of it.

Edited on Nov 09, 2017 at 03:30 AM · View previous versions

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:20 AM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Peak Design Launches Redesigned Capture v3, Slide and Slide Lite

uscmatt99 wrote:
I like Peak products. Started with the Capture which I don't use much any more. Moved on to the Cuff (used all the time), Leash (used all the time) and Slide. The main problem with the Slide is that when wearing it cross-body, it feels too short, and in that sense I prefer the Black Rapid when using heavier camera-lens combos. I have the original of all three straps, so not sure what's changed. If they've lengthened the max length on the Slide I might try it again.

Regarding the connectors, I'm still on first generation products and haven't had a
...Show more
Have you seen their new Sling 5L? https://youtu.be/2UkeAZyDG_Y

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:24 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password