New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

My daughter returned my G3

Jeff Nolten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My daughter returned my G3

My daughter brought over several old P&S cameras she and our granddaughter had been given over the years. One of them was my Canon G3 which was my first digital camera. It had a 512 MB CF card in it with a bunch of interesting images the two had taken back in the day.

I noticed and remembered it used the same battery as my 10D so I charged it up and fired the 10D up using the huge 512 CF card. Both cameras still work just like new. The tiny LCD displays seem kinda laughable. 4 MP for the G3 and 6 for the 10D. I remember thinking that if digital just got to 10 MP my life would be complete.

I'll add that the G3 had all the right features for a P&S: The ability to take a polarizer, to take an external flash, to shoot in raw and had a tilt swivel display. The 10D took a lot of nice images for me.

No need for comment. Just thought I'd share. They're both back in my old camera drawer now. Maybe I'll pull them out in another decade to see if they still work.

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:15 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My daughter returned my G3

The 10D was my first DSLR (2003?). I recall I had a tough time with the AF: wasn't nearly as good as the AF on my film cameras the prior era, e.g., EOS 3, A2E and Elan 7E. Sold it as soon as the 20D came out and got a lot more sharp images!

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:34 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My daughter returned my G3

I waited for the 20D, before I started jumping from the film ship. Whatever that was.

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:36 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My daughter returned my G3

Gochugogi wrote:
The 10D was my first DSLR (2003?). I recall I had a tough time with the AF: wasn't nearly as good as the AF on my film cameras the prior era, e.g., EOS 3, A2E and Elan 7E. Sold it as soon as the 20D came out and got a lot more sharp images!

Also got my 10D when it first came out in mid-2003.

Nov 07, 2017 at 03:16 AM
tsangc
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My daughter returned my G3

My first DSLR was the original Rebel, which is the guts of a 10D in a consumer friendly shell. They had refurbs being cleared out for $500 in 2005. I thought, well, I'll try this digital SLR thing out, but I don't really need any more lenses than the one it comes with.

There is something about the files off that Rebel which I can't put my finger on...they're warm and great, even if it's just that noisy 6MP. I feel that way about my original 5D too, but have never had that impression from other bodies I've owned.

Nov 07, 2017 at 03:42 AM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My daughter returned my G3

I just saw my G3 a couple of weeks ago. I still have the box, CDs instructions and the original Canon 4MB (megabytes) CF card

Nov 07, 2017 at 04:49 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My daughter returned my G3

I've never seen a 4MB card. I have a few 64, 128 and 256MB CF cards in a shoebox. Even on a 10D those cards were like rolls of film if shooting RAW. I recall going through them like a madman when in golden light...

Nov 07, 2017 at 05:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My daughter returned my G3

Don't forget, the G3 had a built-in neutral density filter too!

Nov 07, 2017 at 05:14 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My daughter returned my G3

sirimiri wrote:
Don't forget, the G3 had a built-in neutral density filter too!

All the Gs I've had have had that feature including the G10 and G1X. I think I read that the G1X mk II has is as well. The recent ones have available 100 m underwater housings which add to their versatility.

I'll have to see if I still have my 4 MB card - I never throw anything away.

Nov 07, 2017 at 06:35 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My daughter returned my G3

I started my digital life with a G3, then went on to have a G5, G6, G9, G10, G1X and G1XII (which I hated and sold, still have the G1X)

Of them all the G10 was my favourite but had woeful high ISO ability, but as a camera I thought it was lovely and the low ISO RAW files were wonderful, even from the tiny sensor. Of course the G1X has the best overall IQ of the compacts I've had

As for dslr's I started with the 10D which was a revelation to me, since then I've owned too many to list.

Nov 07, 2017 at 07:36 AM
Tony Rogers
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My daughter returned my G3

My first digital camera was an Ixus 2megapixel compact - it came with a Canon-branded 8MB CF card.

Nov 07, 2017 at 10:49 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My daughter returned my G3

My first was the D30 followed by the 1D.....

Nov 07, 2017 at 10:54 AM
CMYK Designs
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My daughter returned my G3

Jeff Nolten wrote:
My daughter brought over several old P&S cameras she and our granddaughter had been given over the years. One of them was my Canon G3 which was my first digital camera. It had a 512 MB CF card in it with a bunch of interesting images the two had taken back in the day.

I noticed and remembered it used the same battery as my 10D so I charged it up and fired the 10D up using the huge 512 CF card. Both cameras still work just like new. The tiny LCD displays seem kinda laughable. 4 MP for the
...Show more

Ahh..life was so simple then....this was taken with a G2 and is printed 11x14, proudly displayed with others on my den wall...Although a Nikon guy, I always opted for the Canon point and shoot..

G2 Swan

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:25 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password