FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Lightroom Alternatives

mikyor1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom Alternatives

Its been agonizing, utilizing D850 files in lightroom and waiting for them to load.

What are some alternatives that you use specifically for event photography?

Nov 06, 2017 at 11:07 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom Alternatives

What is wrong with 850 files in LR? I have not heard of anyone with issues?
The problem with everything else is ease and speed.
Not program speed but editing speed.
With smart previews and keymapping I am on track to edit over 400 weddings again this year.
No way in hell I am doing that with any other program.

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:14 AM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom Alternatives

Capture One is the only viable pro alternative, IMO

There are other apps, but none will be as refined for the working pro as LR or C1, yet.

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:25 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom Alternatives

The obvious question: are you culling in a prog like photomechanic first?

Most very event- type photogs just use jpg, we're kinda an outlier.

Edited on Nov 08, 2017 at 06:36 PM · View previous versions

Nov 07, 2017 at 01:17 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom Alternatives

I'm loading large files from multiple cameras like the A7R2, X1D (105MB each!) and Pentax 645Z. No real issues as I keep my working files on SSD's, except when I use the clone tool a lot or zoom in in the Library. LR works as fast as I do.

Gordon

Nov 08, 2017 at 08:04 AM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom Alternatives

I am starting to consider the best alternative is already implemented in our cameras, jpeg.
The more I shoot the more lightroom becomes just a minor adjustments jpeg converter.

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:39 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom Alternatives

Take a look at OnOne Raw 2018 or Luminar 2018

Nov 20, 2017 at 06:33 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom Alternatives

paparazzinick wrote:
Luminar 2018

Damn. That looks pretty bad-ass.

Nov 20, 2017 at 07:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ahaug
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightroom Alternatives

The only reason that I'm still using lightroom is because I outsource my initial edits. My d750 raw files render picture to picture in between 8 -12 seconds. With smart previews and every bit of advise from the adobe forums, I am down to 5-7 seconds. While this is ridiculous, it is just fast enough to stay with lightroom for the outsourcing. The same images render in one second in Capture Pro One. Currently, there is one company that is offering to edit in CP1 and I heard that one of the CP1 embassadors is launching a wedding editing site in the next several months. I do think that CP1 will become more and more desired as Adobe continues to get slower and slower.

Nov 21, 2017 at 04:25 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightroom Alternatives

ahaug wrote:
The only reason that I'm still using lightroom is because I outsource my initial edits. My d750 raw files render picture to picture in between 8 -12 seconds. With smart previews and every bit of advise from the adobe forums, I am down to 5-7 seconds. While this is ridiculous, it is just fast enough to stay with lightroom for the outsourcing. The same images render in one second in Capture Pro One. Currently, there is one company that is offering to edit in CP1 and I heard that one of the CP1 embassadors is launching a wedding editing site
...Show more

Not that I am a Lr fan boy as I too am watching luminar and CP1.

When you say rendering... what step of the workflow are you?

When I am in Develop module.... I am currently ~1 sec between images.
I only use smart previews. I don't build previews at all.
I am still culling in photo mechanic though.

The other part of this is what is the hardware setup .... particularly GPU and screen.

-Mark

Nov 21, 2017 at 05:24 PM
ahaug
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lightroom Alternatives

My workflow is to cull in photo mechanic. import into lightroom with 1:1 previews and smart previews. I export as a catalog and send to outsourcing. I get back the catalog and link it back to the original images. I use smart previews to edit. It was taking me 8 to 12 seconds to render picture to picture in devolop module and now I have it down to 5 to 7 seconds. My computer is a bit long in the tooth but is still flies in CP1. I have a icore7 950 with 12 gb ram, ssd drive, geforce gtx 670? gpu. It is particularly slow with a dual monitor setup. I have tried it with and without gpu turned on. I hear many of the same tails of woe from people with much faster computers. I just don't want to go back to CP1 due to finally having my editing team dialed in now.

Nov 22, 2017 at 04:22 AM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lightroom Alternatives

ahaug wrote:
My workflow is to cull in photo mechanic. import into lightroom with 1:1 previews and smart previews. I export as a catalog and send to outsourcing. I get back the catalog and link it back to the original images. I use smart previews to edit. It was taking me 8 to 12 seconds to render picture to picture in devolop module and now I have it down to 5 to 7 seconds. My computer is a bit long in the tooth but is still flies in CP1. I have a icore7 950 with 12 gb ram, ssd drive, geforce gtx
...Show more

5 to 7 seconds is still way to slow. My Surface Book slays that and it's only dual core. Shot to shot is effectively instant and zooming in in develop is 1-2 seconds. 3-4 seconds in library. And that's working off an external SSD drive via USB3 on the original files which can be up to 100MB raw files. My current catalogue has over 100K images in it.

* How big is your preview cache? 30GB at least.
* How many presets have you made? Less is faster.
* Have you toggled the graphics card setting to see what's faster? Old cards can be better without graphic acceleration.
* How long since you optimised your catalogue and cleared your cache?

Gordon

Nov 22, 2017 at 04:39 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lightroom Alternatives

He did not mention the monitor size. and dual at that?

I run 27" Ultrasharp and a 24 ultrasharp from Dell.
I have an 8gig video card.

what size are the monitors and how much GPU Ram do you have?

Nov 22, 2017 at 05:04 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lightroom Alternatives

paparazzinick wrote:
Luminar 2018

amonline wrote:
Damn. That looks pretty bad-ass.

I take back what I said. Disappointment.

Nov 22, 2017 at 10:40 AM
ahaug
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lightroom Alternatives

flash wrote:
5 to 7 seconds is still way to slow. My Surface Book slays that and it's only dual core. Shot to shot is effectively instant and zooming in in develop is 1-2 seconds. 3-4 seconds in library. And that's working off an external SSD drive via USB3 on the original files which can be up to 100MB raw files. My current catalogue has over 100K images in it.

* How big is your preview cache? 30GB at least.
* How many presets have you made? Less is faster.
* Have you toggled the graphics card setting to see what's faster? Old cards can
...Show more

My cache is 40gb. I have it on the same ssd as my catalog which I heard is not ideal.

I have the slr lounge presets, and the mastin labs presets and a few that I made. I only really use the mastin b/w presets though. I only apply one preset on import and one on occasion for bw conversion.

I have toggled the gpu on and off. It is literally one second slower with gpu

I make a new catalog for each wedding.

I was on the phone with adobe twice and they remoted in to my computer and said that it was working fine.

I would spring for a new processor and mobo but I'm hearing a lot of people with the same basic problem with new computers.

Here is on of the threads that are discussing this issue at adobe: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9989263#9989263

Nov 22, 2017 at 02:27 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password