New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Setting custom white balance problems

Ischgl99

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Setting custom white balance problems

I just purchased a digital gray card set and am trying to set a custom white balance in my Canon 80D to see how much different it is from the AWB that I have been using and there is a surprising difference in colors between the AWB, digital white card and digital gray card. The cards set is the Vello WB-CM.

Following are three photos, the first with auto white balance, the second using the white card and the third using the gray card. I set up my laptop next to the cookie jar to compare the photos, the laptop screen was recently calibrated and matches my larger screen I use for editing. The AWB photo is too white with a cooler color than it should be. The white card is far too warm, and the gray card is fairly close, but still warmer than it looks in person. The white balance cards were placed across the front paws to get direct light from the window and a picture for setting in the camera taken perpendicular to the card. It is a cloudy day with the only light on the subject from the window.

When I look at the pictures of the cards used to set the white balance in the camera, the white card looks bluish and the gray card looks like it should, gray. Is it possible the white card is picking up a reflection from the clouds that is causing the white balance to be too warm?

Am I doing something wrong, or is this normal to see such a big difference between white and gray white balance cards?

Auto White Balance

Canon EOS 80D    27mm    f/4.5    1/50s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

White balance set with white card

Canon EOS 80D    32mm    f/4.5    1/50s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

White balance set with gray card

Canon EOS 80D    29mm    f/4.5    1/50s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 06, 2017 at 08:42 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password