Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Three Sisters - Canmore

OregonSun
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Three Sisters - Canmore

These are excellent Scott, wonderful colors and I love the clean snow foregrounds. People call Gray Jays Camp Robbers or Robber Birds down here in Oregon

Heron

Nov 18, 2017 at 05:54 AM
Gregg B.
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Three Sisters - Canmore

Congrats. Beautiful shots

Nov 18, 2017 at 06:10 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Three Sisters - Canmore

OregonSun: Glad you like the colors and foregrounds. I have called them Whiskey Jacks since I was young - never even thought about where it comes from. I will have to look it up. But Grey Jay is too lackluster a name for this bird that it - is only one of a few that stay in Canada for winter. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Gregg B.: Thanks Gregg. Glad you like them. Much appreciated. Scott

Nov 18, 2017 at 06:10 PM
DVJ38

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Three Sisters - Canmore

Wow, 1 is my favorite. The focus should be on the mountains in this series I believe, and they have great light on them without any distracting sunset/sunrise. Congrats on the win!

Nov 19, 2017 at 06:38 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Three Sisters - Canmore

DVJ38 wrote:
Wow, 1 is my favorite. The focus should be on the mountains in this series I believe, and they have great light on them without any distracting sunset/sunrise. Congrats on the win!

Glad you like 1. Thanks for the congratulations. Much appreciated. Scott

Nov 19, 2017 at 06:59 AM
canadajim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Three Sisters - Canmore

Great set, Scott. Number 1 is outstanding.

Jim

Nov 19, 2017 at 02:02 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Three Sisters - Canmore

canadajim wrote:
Great set, Scott. Number 1 is outstanding.

Jim

Thanks Jim. Much appreciated. Scott

Nov 20, 2017 at 04:18 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Three Sisters - Canmore

Congratulations on the win Scott!

I had to look up the Whisky Jack because it looked exactly like the Canadian Jay's that would hang around the top of the Paradise lift shack back in the day when I was a lift operator. And it was. Just a different name for it...

Nov 20, 2017 at 02:50 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Three Sisters - Canmore

ckcarr wrote:
Congratulations on the win Scott!

I had to look up the Whisky Jack because it looked exactly like the Canadian Jay's that would hang around the top of the Paradise lift shack back in the day when I was a lift operator. And it was. Just a different name for it...

Thanks ckcarr -

I just looked up the Whiskey Jack. That is the name that I know the gray jay. When I grew up I had a trap line in northern Manitoba and when I pursued wolves with traps - [it was a different era and 12 year old boys are beyond questions of cruelty[. Whiskey Jacks caused me trouble on different occasions when they stepped on my traps and set them off. Keep in mind that I was out at -45c (50F), smoking the traps to take the smell of man off, catching fish in the summer for bait and storing them for winter, carrying frozen fish over miles on my snowshoies[and falling through ice...]. Anyway, I did not like them then.

Apparently "whiskey jack" is a colloquial name caused by white guys mispronoucing the Cree First Nations word for Grey Jay. So its not a Whiskey Jack but a Wisakedjak.

Anyway, recently in my enlightened years I have a whole new respect for Grey Jays as intelligent and resourceful. And recently it was selected as the national bird of Canada by Candian Geographic [personally I voted for Snowy Owl which has a wider range - Grey Jay does not go above the tree line]

Now I just have to figure out how to pronounce Wisakedjak. I will talk to my mom's best friend back home [cree mom of the boy next door I used to trap with] and find out.

Thanks Scott

Nov 20, 2017 at 05:34 PM
IndyFab
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Three Sisters - Canmore

Congrats Scott, always enjoy your work !!

Nov 21, 2017 at 06:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Johnwocher
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Three Sisters - Canmore

Great Photo - I shoot landscapes primarily, and have the 5DSR. Mostly thought the tilt-shift lenses were for interiors, architectural shots. How and why did you use it on this spectacular shot?
Thanks,
John

Nov 22, 2017 at 06:30 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Three Sisters - Canmore

IndyFab wrote:
Congrats Scott, always enjoy your work !!

Thanks for the great complement (enjoy my work). Much appreciated. Scott

Nov 22, 2017 at 03:10 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Three Sisters - Canmore

Johnwocher wrote:
Great Photo - I shoot landscapes primarily, and have the 5DSR. Mostly thought the tilt-shift lenses were for interiors, architectural shots. How and why did you use it on this spectacular shot?
Thanks,
John

John:

I think t/s is essential for landscape. Particularly on ultra wide. And primary for shift - not tilt.

With uwa 17mm, if you do not have the lens level the trees will be bowed. And if you make the lens level you will end up with too much ground and too little sky. Either you have to bow the trees and correct in photoshop (losing resolution by stretching pixels) or go wider and chop the bottom off.

So if you take landscapes with near trees with UWA - in my view (unless you like leaning and bowed vertical items) the TS is essential. I have a very good 15mm Zeiss/2.8 that does not shift and I only use it at night for f2.8 for this reason; - and I have considered and rejected the 16-35's and 11-22 because I just can't stomach the perspective distortion.

In addition, if you take several shots and stitch to solve for not being even wider you end up with busts where the near shore is u shaped instead of flat. The T/S shift can be used to create a wider than 17mm perspective with shots that exactly line up by shifting to extreme on left, taking a shot, shooting centered and then shooting extreme right and stitching. So the 17mm TS will deliver a near perfect stitch equivalent to about 11mm that will be problematic with a lens like 16-35/f4 where there are near foreground items.

On this particular shot I lined up my composition, leveled my lens/body, and shifted up to get the right composition with straight up and down trees. It takes more work but it forces you to be deliberate in thinking about composition and height and manual...

Nov 22, 2017 at 04:03 PM
Johnwocher
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Three Sisters - Canmore

Thanks Scott -

I use the Canon EF 17-40L f/4 a lot, but my take-away now is that shooting this at 17mm will often result in unattractive distortion. Forgive my na´vetÚ, but when using the tilt-shift, can you actually see the straightening of the vertical lines as you compose? I assume so. I am also interested in, but have little experience with stitching, so this sounds like something I will want to try. Many, many thanks. It looks like such a ..... complicated lens!
Most appreciatively,
John

Nov 24, 2017 at 12:28 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Three Sisters - Canmore

Johnwocher wrote:
Thanks Scott -

I use the Canon EF 17-40L f/4 a lot, but my take-away now is that shooting this at 17mm will often result in unattractive distortion. Forgive my na´vetÚ, but when using the tilt-shift, can you actually see the straightening of the vertical lines as you compose? I assume so. I am also interested in, but have little experience with stitching, so this sounds like something I will want to try. Many, many thanks. It looks like such a ..... complicated lens!
Most appreciatively,
John

It only distorts if you don't have it level and you have near vertical items like trees and poles.

You can actually see the straightening on your 17-40 lens too. Lean the camera back and the near trees bow. And level it and it goes away - but you end up with too much foreground. The difference is that on the TS you move it down to level until the bowing goes away and then you shift the lens to compose with less foreground without the bowing.

It is a complicated lens with a bulbous front and it does not take to filters well (but I use aeb and blending and cp don't work well anyway because they only work at 90d from the sun).

Scott

Nov 24, 2017 at 01:32 AM
deke4774

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Three Sisters - Canmore

Nice set you captured. #1 is my favorite.

Nov 26, 2017 at 03:48 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Three Sisters - Canmore

I really like the subtley of tones in the first image. The composition is excellent, the balance of the three peaks on the left against the trees and mountains on the right is very satisfying. Well done.

Nov 26, 2017 at 09:48 AM
Johnwocher
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Three Sisters - Canmore

Scott - Just wanted to thank you. Your explanation on the tilt-shift lens was the clearest explanation I have ever read, and I will look at obtaining one. In Jackson Hole, some of my Aspens were bowed, and now that I think I understand how to photograph these vertical lines in landscapes with less foreground, I should do much better. Much gratitude for sharing this with my. Most appreciatively,
John

Nov 26, 2017 at 11:35 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Three Sisters - Canmore

deke4774: Glad you like 1. Thanks. Scott

David Baldwin: Glad you like the tones and the composition. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Nov 27, 2017 at 02:33 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Three Sisters - Canmore

Johnwocher wrote:
Scott - Just wanted to thank you. Your explanation on the tilt-shift lens was the clearest explanation I have ever read, and I will look at obtaining one. In Jackson Hole, some of my Aspens were bowed, and now that I think I understand how to photograph these vertical lines in landscapes with less foreground, I should do much better. Much gratitude for sharing this with my. Most appreciatively,
John

Welcome - PM me when you need advice. I have been using this lens and its my favorite for 5 years or so. Scott

Nov 27, 2017 at 02:34 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password