New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Nikon D500 & Overexposing

mphocus
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D500 & Overexposing

Has anyone experienced their D500 overexposing. Last night I had it out with the 85mm 1.4 indoors without a flash. I set it to f2.0 shutter 125 and auto iso centre weighted no exposure compensation and it automatically pushed the iso to 4000 with the highlights way blown out. Why push the iso to 4000 if a lower one would be better so the highlight wouldn't be blown out? Just wondering if this is normal for the D500?

Nov 06, 2017 at 02:22 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D500 & Overexposing

Assume you set the low - high for the iso?

Nov 06, 2017 at 02:41 AM
mphocus
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D500 & Overexposing

Charles Loy wrote:
Assume you set the low - high for the iso?

Yes I did

Nov 06, 2017 at 02:42 AM
Photozack81
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D500 & Overexposing

My D500 over exposes every shot I take by a stop or two.

Then again, this is intentional, as I am a big believer in ETTR and I shoot raw.

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:32 AM
gdsf2
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon D500 & Overexposing

If your image was of a mostly dark subject, the camera will weight the exposure to make the dark subject correctly exposed. This can then result in blown highlights.

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:35 AM
mphocus
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon D500 & Overexposing

Photozack81 wrote:
My D500 over exposes every shot I take by a stop or two.

Then again, this is intentional, as I am a big believer in ETTR and I shoot raw.

Don't you find that strange to over expose for 2 stops. I would like to use the exposure comp to tweak it a bit and not have that taken away. I believe in ETTR too but 2 stops is quite a bit

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:35 AM
mphocus
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon D500 & Overexposing

gdsf2 wrote:
If your image was of a mostly dark subject, the camera will weight the exposure to make the dark subject correctly exposed. This can then result in blown highlights.

There was dark curtains but bright lights and men with bald heads. Old timers country music band.

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:38 AM
mphocus
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon D500 & Overexposing

I would think that I had spot metering the auto iso would take into affect just the centre I was focussing which was the personís face which was white and white hair

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:51 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon D500 & Overexposing

I can't say much without an uncropped sample. Center Weighted metering has mostly been replaced by matrix to avoid things like a dark center of the frame causing lighter items on the outside of the frame overexposing.

Morris

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:54 AM
Photozack81
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon D500 & Overexposing

mphocus wrote:
Don't you find that strange to over expose for 2 stops. I would like to use the exposure comp to tweak it a bit and not have that taken away. I believe in ETTR too but 2 stops is quite a bit

The more stacked to the right the histogram is, the cleaner the final product will be. So long as you don't completely blow out highlights (which is pretty hard to do on the D500) you'll be fine.

Here's a +2 example for you, pretty much a worst case scenario that I shot to illustrate the point a while back on another forum.

SOOC image - very backlit and the coconut tree is in shadow, sky's pretty much gone

SOOC info -

Histogram looks pretty crazy right?

Here's the final image - we can see sky details and the tree looks good too

Final image info

It isn't the best example but it's a pretty extreme one. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't, but it does show that you've got quite a lot of latitude in raw.

It's far better to be overexposed and pull back than it is to be underexposed and push up. You get a lot less noise that way and it makes sense. SNR is a thing with digital cameras, so if we can improve that by any means it's only a benefit.

Nov 06, 2017 at 04:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon D500 & Overexposing

This OP clearly stated: 85mm 1.4 indoors without a flash. I set it to f2.0 shutter 125 and auto iso centre weighted no exposure compensation and it automatically pushed the iso to 4000

You guys are answering other sonars.

OP, has then been continuous or just a single or seldom happen-stance?
I just picked up my D850, darker room light, f2.8 @ 125 was iso 3800. your exposure may my about right, not knowing the amount of room light you have. .

Nov 06, 2017 at 12:22 PM
mphocus
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon D500 & Overexposing

Photozack81 wrote:
The more stacked to the right the histogram is, the cleaner the final product will be. So long as you don't completely blow out highlights (which is pretty hard to do on the D500) you'll be fine.

Here's a +2 example for you, pretty much a worst case scenario that I shot to illustrate the point a while back on another forum.

SOOC image - very backlit and the coconut tree is in shadow, sky's pretty much gone

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4560/38148887596_541f9a1513_b.jpg

SOOC info -

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4556/24352215688_3e257f8b95_b.jpg

Histogram looks pretty crazy right?

Here's the final image - we can see sky details and the tree looks good too

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4502/24352216568_a72ca38d04_b.jpg

Final image info

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4532/38205259841_70a661da50_b.jpg

It
...Show more

Here is an example. It is out Lieutenant Governor of our province. This is SOOC. I had set the aperture to 5.0 in order to bring less light in but it bumped the iso to 20,000 ugh. I was focusing on her eye.

NIKON D500    85.0 mm f/1.4 lens    85mm    f/5.0    1/125s    20000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 06, 2017 at 07:03 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon D500 & Overexposing

This is what we call in the biz, a tough exposure. You have a very dark background, and a very light and small subject. Your camera will weight these and come up with an exposure that blows out highlights. You need to meter on her face using spot metering or adjust the exposure the camera gives you using weighted metering. This is why we have so many metering and adjustment options. The camera can only do so much of the thinking.

Nov 06, 2017 at 07:07 PM
mphocus
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon D500 & Overexposing

I metered on her face aka eye and it was spot metered. AF-C and BBF. I am not a newbie at this. I didnít find this with the D750. Granted the lens was out of the box for the first time.

Nov 06, 2017 at 07:19 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon D500 & Overexposing

If you spot metered on her face (not single point focused) then something is wrong with your camera - or lens (aperture). Does this happen with other lenses on the D500?

Also, does the camera have a problem exposing with a set ISO, and say, aperture priority?

Nov 06, 2017 at 08:00 PM
mphocus
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon D500 & Overexposing

gdsf2 wrote:
If you spot metered on her face (not single point focused) then something is wrong with your camera - or lens (aperture). Does this happen with other lenses on the D500?

Also, does the camera have a problem exposing with a set ISO, and say, aperture priority?

This is why I put the question out there. I was wondering if others had the same happenings. I tried in aperture priority and it was the same effect. I didn't try it with a set iso as the lighting conditions varied in the room we were in. As far as other lenses on the D500, I shoot sports mostly and mostly outdoors which encompasses the 70-200 2.8 and the 300 2.8 and the 24-70 2.8. I did find it was dialing in dark but I upped the EC up and it took care of it.

Nov 06, 2017 at 08:50 PM
sk66
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon D500 & Overexposing

Spot metering on the D500 is an area of 3.5mm in diameter; a little bigger than the size of her head in the image. If the active focus point was on her eye then it would have included a notable portion of the BG in its calculation (maybe 1/3 of the area calculated)... But it does still seem a bit too bright for the situation IMO(i.e. brighter than I would expect). Of course, the viewfinder focus point is just a visual reference and may not be aligned exactly with the focus point on the AF sensor/image, but it shouldn't be too far off.

You didn't happen to set an exposure offset for spot metering into the "fine tune optimal exposure" setting did you?

The 4mm spot metering of Nikon's FF sensors is a smaller portion of the overall scene, and that will make it a bit different in some situations.

Nov 06, 2017 at 10:55 PM
mphocus
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon D500 & Overexposing

sk66 wrote:
Spot metering on the D500 is an area of 3.5mm in diameter; a little bigger than the size of her head in the image. If the active focus point was on her eye then it would have included a notable portion of the BG in its calculation (maybe 1/3 of the area calculated)... But it does still seem a bit too bright for the situation IMO(i.e. brighter than I would expect). Of course, the viewfinder focus point is just a visual reference and may not be aligned exactly with the focus point on the AF sensor/image, but it shouldn't be
...Show more

The fine tune optimal is at 0.

If no one else is finding this maybe it is the camera.

Nov 06, 2017 at 11:15 PM
Photozack81
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon D500 & Overexposing

Try highlight weighted metering. That's the spot with a * beside it.

It is basically spot metering but biased so it won't ever blow highlights.

The pic you posted is basically the exact situation it was designed for. Dark background, bright subject.

Nov 07, 2017 at 03:30 PM
mphocus
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon D500 & Overexposing

Photozack81 wrote:
Try highlight weighted metering. That's the spot with a * beside it.

It is basically spot metering but biased so it won't ever blow highlights.

The pic you posted is basically the exact situation it was designed for. Dark background, bright subject.

Thanks Photozack81I never thought about that. I will most definitely try next time.

Nov 07, 2017 at 06:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password