Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Expectations on the new Panasonic camera?

kp_duffy

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Expectations on the new Panasonic camera?

They are supposed to announce their new camera tomorrow? Hearing photo-focused and am guessing an upgrade to the Gx8? What are your thoughts, expectations, guesses, hopes, dreams...?

Nov 06, 2017 at 12:58 AM
scott f
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Expectations on the new Panasonic camera?

So far the rumors suggest a camera very similar to the the Olympus m1 mark2. The higher resolution EVF would be sweet.

Nov 06, 2017 at 01:24 AM
takomaru

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Expectations on the new Panasonic camera?

G9 has same GH5 AF sensors
Autofocus is faster than the GH5
Photo Quality is higher than on the GH5
It has built-in flash
Hi-rez Mode with 20/60/80 MP
G9 has no AA filter but it will have a sort of Polarizing filter directly on the sensor.

Sounds good to me; I don't know about names & designation in Panwsonic; but looking forward to this one..

Nov 06, 2017 at 05:16 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Expectations on the new Panasonic camera?

Panasonic superb menus and the new superb EVF and screen of the GH5. Smaller body, more in the line of the E-M1. Hard to say/wish for much that hasn't already been rumoured but we'll see. If they price it around 1400 I think it could very well be a winner. If they price it higher then that (1600-1700 as suggested by the latest non trusted source) it will be too close to E-M1 territory and little reason to chose it over the E-M1.

Also, hoping the rumours about a very large buffer is true as well as C-AF working better and better with each new camera.

Nov 06, 2017 at 05:34 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Expectations on the new Panasonic camera?

After some hands-on time with both the GH5/100-400 and FZ2500(2000) at the Photoplus Expo in NYC last month I can say that the EVF improvements over my FZ1000, the rock-steady hand-holding platform that Dual-IS offers, and ergonomic evolutions (dual dials instead of push-to-change-function dial, improved tactile feel for buttons and, yes, maintaining back-button-focus programmability to the "thumb-obvious" AF/AE Lock button) and I'm looking forward to seeing what Panny has up its sleeve!

A more-affordable GH5 variant is my expectation, but an early debut of Panasonic's 8K-capable sensor tech promised for FY2018 would be a treat! Should be a fun week in Panny land!

Nov 06, 2017 at 11:56 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Expectations on the new Panasonic camera?

More rumours on the G9 now as well as leaked images.

Apparently they will release a 200m F2.8 lens as well (first I heard of it! Well kept secret it would seem).

By the new specs it really does look awesome, 20 fps with C-AF, 60F fps locked AF. No blackout in the EVF during high speed shooting, 0,83 times magnification for the viewfinder. This MIGHT be the camera to upgrade from my original E-M1. We'll see for sure on Wednesday I believe.

https://www.43rumors.com

Nov 06, 2017 at 02:11 PM
takomaru

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Expectations on the new Panasonic camera?

I just saw the new post, no evf blackout and 6.5 stop stabilization, really kool; hope in camera software on par with Oly, would make a terrific upgrade from the E-M1; maybe you lucked out..the 200 very ver interesting, too long for me...waiting for full specs

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:03 PM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Expectations on the new Panasonic camera?

I think I might have lucked out yes, we'll see but sending the GH5 back felt like a very good decision

If it's got a larger EVF and still high res and with no blackout it would indeed make an excellent sports cam as well as landscape and portrait as usual. We'll see how it handles C-AF.

The 200 looks VERY interesting to me. Depending on price of course. A 200F2.8 would give better low light performance then the 40-150 with 1.4 TC as well as (most likely, since it is a prime and Panasonic Leica branden) much better performance compared to using the TC.
Also, adding the TC 1.4 to the 200mm, if it accepts that, would bring it up to 280mm F4 which is close enough to the 300mm to make it a pretty good wild life lens. Now, all this is a lot of "ifs".

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:26 PM
James Farrell
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Expectations on the new Panasonic camera?

As one who owns two EM1.2 bodies and an assortment of Oly lenses, I am interested mostly in the 200 f/2.8 lens to fill the focal length gap between the 40-150/2.8 and the 300/4 Oly lenses natively (without a TC). Wilbus, I doubt that the Pany lens would mount to the Oly MC14 given the way the Oly MC14 is designed. But that would sure be a bonus if it did.

Bottom line for me in all of this is that I remain a little surprised in Olympus being completely silent about any plans to fill the aforementioned focal length gap that Pany has done here and with the 100-400. I am sure the two new Oly short primes are nice, but theyre not in my lens plans for the kind of shooting I like to do.

Late Edit: just found this link to a translated article that suggests the 200/2.8 lens will come bundled with its own TC14 - https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Ffoto.no%2Fartikler%2Faktuelt%2Fnyheter%2F48193-mer-speill%25C3%25B8st-for-proffene&edit-text=

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:48 PM
whumber
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Expectations on the new Panasonic camera?

Any word if the G9 will drop to low resolution in burst mode like the GH5? I'm thinking this will be a great second body if it can maintain resolution like the E-M1ii.

Nov 06, 2017 at 04:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Expectations on the new Panasonic camera?

If the sample image is accurate it sure looks like the sensor is larger than in a GH5.

Nov 06, 2017 at 04:59 PM
takomaru

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Expectations on the new Panasonic camera?

I'd prefer the 200/2.8 prime any time over a zoom no matter how good the zoom was, even though with sports zooms are multifunctional and with the same aperture as the prime are incredible versatile for framing. Compatibility between Oly & Panasonic doesn't seem a 100% choice sometimes, neither is stabilization; If I end up with the G9, I'd have to purchase some Pana glass, my adapted manual glass will not be that good with stabilization on my Oly IBIS, hopefully my Oly glass will hold. I do shoot mostly manually with the Actus so that part does bother me, but new Pana primes could be very taxing on the wallet.

Good move on sending the GH5 back Wilbus, this is a way better upgrade unless only shooting video where the GH5 just excels; I did try my friend's but briefly, over lunch, as it was in a full rig, cage, Gratical, manual geared glass; I had the same rig on my Sony before; functions where nice and easy shoot and cleaner; focusing functions a lot easier and I can see where the magnifier is a lot easier than the Oly, where you can totally loose it fast; the Vehydra mini primes performed very well, I tested the Isco for Anamorphic, nice to press a button on the Gratical EVF and pop up LUT's menus; I had tried a similar solution for grabbing frames with my A7S & an Atomos, but the frame quality didn't hold like a RED, so I let it go.

Looks like an expensive end of the year, terrific body, new glass from both Oly & Panasonic; If I upgrade to the A7R III also, which is almost surely will have to sell some glass!

Nov 06, 2017 at 11:44 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Expectations on the new Panasonic camera?

kp_duffy wrote:
They are supposed to announce their new camera tomorrow? Hearing photo-focused and am guessing an upgrade to the Gx8? What are your thoughts, expectations, guesses, hopes, dreams...?

Being a very happy G85 owner, I would expect:

- Great EVF (at least as good as the GX8)
- Great AF - much faster than the G85
- Able to decently AF Oly 4/3 lenses (pipe dream I know)
- Even better IBIS
- Bigger than the G85 I'm sure
- Best m43 low ISO DR of any current camera
- Better weather resistance
- etc.

Will I buy one? Boy, I'm pretty happy with my G85 which I like to take skiing because it's so light, weather resistant, etc. For indoor shots I actually prefer my G85 to my A7RII or D850, so it may find a home. Price will be an issue unless I can buy it through my company and write part of it off.

Nov 06, 2017 at 11:49 PM
tdlavigne
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Expectations on the new Panasonic camera?

Looks ok, but since I don't need super fast frame rates (I think I've used continuous high maybe 3x in the last decade) it's not for me. No blackout is nice, and hopefully the DR and high ISO is improved a bit. But so far the GH5 is more than adequate for most casual photography, and if I need amazing IQ it still makes more sense to bring a FF dslr for me. Once the m43 sensors get around 24-28mp, clean ISO 3200 like the current batch of APS-C sensors, and the tech trickles down into the GXx or GXxx bodies then I'll be a buyer.

What I am really interested in and surprised about is the 200mm f2.8. Tele-primes for slr's have always been prohibitively expensive, but it looks like Olympus can do it well for a reasonable price, so I'm hoping the Panasonic is in the same ballpark.

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:43 AM
swifty168
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Expectations on the new Panasonic camera?

I also dont need fast frame rates but the faster sensor readout should have other benefits such as AF since mirrorless AF are performed directly off the sensor.
With the leaked photos Im really looking forward to this, instead of initially anticipating the E-M5 mk 3.
But pricing will be a big factor for me. If its E-M1 mk2 territory then Im out unfortunately.

Nov 07, 2017 at 04:08 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Expectations on the new Panasonic camera?

James Farrell wrote:
As one who owns two EM1.2 bodies and an assortment of Oly lenses, I am interested mostly in the 200 f/2.8 lens to fill the focal length gap between the 40-150/2.8 and the 300/4 Oly lenses natively (without a TC). Wilbus, I doubt that the Pany lens would mount to the Oly MC14 given the way the Oly MC14 is designed. But that would sure be a bonus if it did.

Bottom line for me in all of this is that I remain a little surprised in Olympus being completely silent about any plans to fill the aforementioned focal
...Show more

The 200mm F2.8 looks interesting indeed, a 400mm eq FOV with 2.8 light gathering sounds very very nice.
I don't think it will work with the Olympus TC either but one can dream.

Your link doesn't work for some reason, I only reach the google translate page but nothing else. If it does indeed come with its own TC however, it would be very nice. Depending on the price, and depending on wether 560mm eq would be enough (it should be) for most wild life, it would be a very very nice lens.

Yes Olympus is silent, but then again, the 200mm F2.8 was unheard of as well, I think it came as a surprise to most people and it's most likely a good reason why they ended the development of the 150mm F2.8.

As for the G9, depending on the housing, it looks like a very good alternative to the E-M1.2. Updated EVF and screen most likely and most other features seem similar though the zero blackout of the EVF sounds very interesting.

Waiting (not so) patiently for tomorrow!

/Rasmus

Nov 07, 2017 at 07:14 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Expectations on the new Panasonic camera?

whumber wrote:
Any word if the G9 will drop to low resolution in burst mode like the GH5? I'm thinking this will be a great second body if it can maintain resolution like the E-M1ii.

No idea, hopefully it will keep it but I am guessing it's the same EVF as the GH5. Maybe they have been able to make it faster, if not, it will probably be the same. Guess we have to wait for some reviews.
---------------------------------------------

takomaru wrote:
I'd prefer the 200/2.8 prime any time over a zoom no matter how good the zoom was, even though with sports zooms are multifunctional and with the same aperture as the prime are incredible versatile for framing. Compatibility between Oly & Panasonic doesn't seem a 100% choice sometimes, neither is stabilization; If I end up with the G9, I'd have to purchase some Pana glass, my adapted manual glass will not be that good with stabilization on my Oly IBIS, hopefully my Oly glass will hold. I do shoot mostly manually with the Actus so that part does bother me,
...Show more

For some reason I too prefer primes even though I love my Olympus zooms. Been thinking of the new Oly F1.2's but not sure which ones I really need. The 45 and 17 both look interesting enough and I suspect I might get the 45 at one point or another if I start shooting more portraits again.
No, the choice and compatibility between Panasonic and Olympus doesn't always work perfectly but there usually isn't a problem.
I have the older PL 25mm F1.4 and it's superb although a bit loud and slow AF compared to the new ones.

If the 200mm comes with a TC or Panasonic releases one to go with it I will most likely buy it rather then the Oly 300mm F4. Depending on price of course.

Yes I think that sending the GH5 back was a good move, it was slightly too large for me and I like you say, the G9 should be a much more potent photo machine.
Cool you got to test the GH5 although briefly, I have no doubt it's a superb video rig, in fact there should be little reason for most people to get anything but the GH5 when filming as it can do very high grade professional videos.
There were lots of things with the GH5 that were great though, again, manual focusing and some other features that I am quite sure will be brought over to the G9.

Yes it's does look like a very expensive year, even more so for you since you are running multiple systems!

/Rasmus

Nov 07, 2017 at 08:02 AM
takomaru

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Expectations on the new Panasonic camera?

Just saw in m43 Rumors, someone posted a price in Norway for the 200/2.8 at 3900 bucks! Oouch, I'm glad it's too long for me; but looking forward to the actual functionality of this camera and I'd put my money in m43 but do totally skip Fuji's APSC, neither will I update Sony APSC.

Nov 07, 2017 at 08:02 AM
pmeheut

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Expectations on the new Panasonic camera?

takomaru wrote:
Just saw in m43 Rumors, someone posted a price in Norway for the 200/2.8 at 3900 bucks!.

This is the price on 1 site in Norway where everything is twice the price.

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:01 PM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Expectations on the new Panasonic camera?

takomaru wrote:
Just saw in m43 Rumors, someone posted a price in Norway for the 200/2.8 at 3900 bucks! Oouch, I'm glad it's too long for me; but looking forward to the actual functionality of this camera and I'd put my money in m43 but do totally skip Fuji's APSC, neither will I update Sony APSC.

3900 is WAY too much for this lens, even if it's more or less perfect. Hopefully that price is completely wrong but I wouldn't be too surprised if it's right.

---------------------------------------------

pmeheut wrote:
This is the price on 1 site in Norway where everything is twice the price.

Actually, it's not. Most things in Norway are extremely expensive, electronics and photo stuff is not among those though.

Currently the Olympus 40-150 F2.8 PRO sells for 13990 nok, in Sweden it sells for 12990 so a bit more expensive in Norway. The sek and nok are, at the moment, almost the same with the nok being worth slightly more.

In short, if you split the price in Sweden by 10 you usually get the price in USD, give or take some. We have higher taxes here which brings the prices up a couple of hundred USD compared to in the US. So if you were to by that lens in Sweden and pay USD it would be around 1500 rather then 1400 B&H is selling it for.

The Norwegian price is pretty spot on as far as both Swedish and US prices goes for the 40-150 so IF the price put out by the Norwegian site is right, it would be around 3900 USD in the US as well. m43 rumors is very wrong with everything being more expensive in Norway. And it's certainly not twice the price.

Or to put it short. IF the Norwegian site showed their price around 39-41000 nok, and IF that is the right price in Norway. Expect the US price to be around 3900

IF that is the case, it rules out for completely. It's a price that closes in the 5500 price of the Nikon 200mm F2 which of course doesn't give the same reach on an FF camera but it is 200mm and it is a stop faster.

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:50 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password