New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Alternatives to Adobe products -- excellent resource

rdeloe
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alternatives to Adobe products -- excellent resource

There are lots of suggestions for alternatives to Adobe products scattered across multiple threads on FredMiranda.

This post is simply to draw your attention to a blog posting Mike Johnston started over at The Online Photographer (his blog). He asked people to identify their favourite alternatives to Lightroom and Photoshop.

If you want one-stop shopping for TONS of ideas and suggestions for Mac and PC, go here: http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2017/11/lr-replacement-photo-editing-software.html

Rob

Nov 06, 2017 at 12:12 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alternatives to Adobe products -- excellent resource

Just a personal note - on Saturday morning Win 10 died on me - BSOD's and a repair loop.

In the complete reinstall I got rid of everything - C1 trials, DxO (free) and DPP along with Transferer, Photo Mechanic and Fast Raw Viewer - everything except my Adobe CC Photography Plan.

I have struggled to make piecemeal solutions work - but now I am simplifying.

Nov 06, 2017 at 02:37 AM
ShotByTom
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alternatives to Adobe products -- excellent resource

Paul Mo wrote:
Just a personal note - on Saturday morning Win 10 died on me - BSOD's and a repair loop.

In the complete reinstall I got rid of everything - C1 trials, DxO (free) and DPP along with Transferer, Photo Mechanic and Fast Raw Viewer - everything except my Adobe CC Photography Plan.

I have struggled to make piecemeal solutions work - but now I am simplifying.

This is exactly how I feel. Adobe is kind of like Apple..."it just works".

Nov 06, 2017 at 04:30 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alternatives to Adobe products -- excellent resource

My standalone copy of LR (5.x) does not support my new Fuji X-E3. I could upgrade LR to 6.x standalone, but Adobe has announced it will not do updates past the end of the year.

Since this looks like a dead end, I've investigated alternatives, but I haven't found what I think is a suitable alternative to LR and PS.

I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to CC. My wife is a college professor, so she could subscribe to all applications for ~$20/month. Now she lets me use "her" software from time to time ;-). I, er, "we" decided to go for the All Applications package because it includes Premier Pro and I'm interested in looking into the video capabilities of the X-E3. Also, it includes Audition and I do audio restoration and production (for fun) as well.

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:14 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Alternatives to Adobe products -- excellent resource

This is exactly how I feel. Adobe is kind of like Apple..."it just works".

I totally get it that others have a different perspective on what is valuable to them and so forth...

... but I agree (for the most part) with this, and it is my philosophy, too. For me, there is real value in tools that function well without a lot of messing around or the need to give up skills learned over many years and on which I rely. I want to focus my efforts and time on making photographs, not on learning new software or building computers, and especially not on "sending a message" to some company.

If a new product comes along that is significantly better than the one I rely on for my work I may be willing to invest the time and money in switching and relearning, but it needs to be significantly better (not just equal and not even just marginally better) and/or a lot less expensive.

By the way, if you are an established Windows user who is happy with your system, my point of view suggests that you should stick with your effective and well-established system. And if you are a Capture One, etc. user, it argues for you sticking with your tried and true solution, too.

Make sense?

YMMV.

Dan

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:23 PM
rodmcwha
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Alternatives to Adobe products -- excellent resource

NX-D allows you to open into NX-2. That takes care of 95% of what I need. Nik is continuing under DX-O.
Life goes on without Adobe.

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:28 PM
Nick Birkett

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Alternatives to Adobe products -- excellent resource

dmacmillan wrote:
I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to CC. My wife is a college professor, so she could subscribe to all applications for ~$20/month. Now she lets me use "her" software from time to time ;-). I, er, "we" decided to go for the All Applications package because it includes Premier Pro and I'm interested in looking into the video capabilities of the X-E3. Also, it includes Audition and I do audio restoration and production (for fun) as well.

I'm on that plan too - good value and nice to have access to things like inDesign. But, one caveat that you may not have seen (it's in Adobe's fine print):

The $19.99/month price only applies to the first year. After that, the price rises to $29.99/month even if you remain eligible for the educational price. The advice that Adobe gave me was to cancel my plan on the day before it expires (re-news) and re-start a new plan. You don't lose anything but you get the lower monthly rate for the next year. FYI.

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:56 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Alternatives to Adobe products -- excellent resource

Nick Birkett wrote:
I'm on that plan too - good value and nice to have access to things like inDesign. But, one caveat that you may not have seen (it's in Adobe's fine print):

The $19.99/month price only applies to the first year. After that, the price rises to $29.99/month even if you remain eligible for the educational price. The advice that Adobe gave me was to cancel my plan on the day before it expires (re-news) and re-start a new plan. You don't lose anything but you get the lower monthly rate for the next year. FYI.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely do that!

Nov 06, 2017 at 04:07 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Alternatives to Adobe products -- excellent resource

I used to actually enjoy learning and mastering new software tools... Some times I swear I looked forward to my computer crashing so I could re-install the operating system from the ground up. Well, those days are over! I'm definitely in the "just work please so I can focus on making photographs" camp.

It's not that I like the subscription model or am an Adobe loyalist. I don't and I'm not. Instead, it's a matter of sunk costs and how I want to spend my time. I've sunk an enormous amount of time and energy into building a workflow around Lightroom. The benefits from learning an entirely new workflow (and losing access to everything I've done so far) would have to be massive. For me, "massive" means "Doing it with Lightroom, the image looks like garbage in comparison to new software tool X..." or "What used to take X time using Lightroom now takes one-tenth X time using new software tool X".

I haven't seen any evidence that any alternative to Lightroom meets my test. And, of course, my argument would be exactly the same had I decided to use Capture One (or anything else) instead of Lightroom!

As an aside, I think this is why the trend in the software industry is inevitably and inexorably towards "software as a service", in other words, subscriptions.

Nov 06, 2017 at 04:08 PM
Xavier Rival
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Alternatives to Adobe products -- excellent resource

Thanks a lot for posting the link, it is definitely a good time to evaluate workflows, and see what exists.

Nov 06, 2017 at 05:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Alternatives to Adobe products -- excellent resource

I totally get it that others have a different perspective on what is valuable to them and so forth...

... but I agree (for the most part) with this, and it is my philosophy, too. For me, there is real value in tools that function well without a lot of messing around or the need to give up skills learned over many years and on which I rely. I want to focus my efforts and time on making photographs, not on learning new software or building computers, and especially not on "sending a message" to some company.

If a new product comes along
...Show more

When I was thinking about dropping Adobe I tested Capture a few times. It is very good and would have been my first choice but it did not blow me away. It would have had to do that for me to switch. After realizing I didn't have use cloud storage the decision was much easier.

I'll admit Capture does a lot for you out of the box. More than LR and it seams the biggest recent complaints were about LR were colour. I noticed this was about Abobe Standard which is a little washed out. Reading about this it appears that was by design. You are supposed to tweak to taste or use a profiler. Changing that to the Cameras profile was an easy and quick fix.

I also have years of tweaks to get to where I wanted to be. I'm not sure how that impacts a person new to both LR and Capture as Capture will wow you right from the start. I like using PS as well for many things so I'm glad I stayed even after I griped about subscription.

10 years ago I may have been more aggressive but I just don't have the pizzaz I once did

Nov 06, 2017 at 09:38 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Alternatives to Adobe products -- excellent resource

I took advantage of Portfolio and using it for my website now. It does not offer Urls or BCC codes, just a copy option and this is the only forum site that will open to the page. Others you have to click on the link. Something new I need to figure out,.

?h=85f19f440d9c0f0008ddc078a163ffab

Nov 06, 2017 at 09:42 PM
robgo2
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Alternatives to Adobe products -- excellent resource

I really don't understand all the love for Capture One. Yes, images have a great deal of pop right out of the box, but has no one noticed that green foliage looks like mush? If I were using one of the big commercial raw converters, it would probably be DxO Photolab.

Nov 06, 2017 at 11:24 PM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Alternatives to Adobe products -- excellent resource

Thanks for the list. Subscriptions are more involvement than I want want with a software company, I think. They have your credit card, are doing stuff in your computer, and apparently you have to get on regularly?

I'd rather just turn on the computer as needed, use the software, and be done with it.

Nov 07, 2017 at 04:37 AM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Alternatives to Adobe products -- excellent resource

AmbientMike wrote:
Thanks for the list. Subscriptions are more involvement than I want want with a software company, I think. They have your credit card, are doing stuff in your computer, and apparently you have to get on regularly?

So you worry about regular (as in once a month or even only once every 99 days) checks if your license still is valid and once enabling a credit card payment (subscriptions are handled by a clearing house, AFAIK Adobe does not itself retain your credit card details but even if they do you could do yearly payments via normal retailers) and the „doing stuff in your computer“ doesn‘t even happen - there every browser is much more intrusive, all you get are reminders that new versions are available which you can download and install at your convenience...

Nov 07, 2017 at 05:47 AM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Alternatives to Adobe products -- excellent resource

AmbientMike wrote:

I'd rather just turn on the computer as needed, use the software, and be done with it.

I paid for the whole year using my credit card via PayPal. I didn't see the point of paying $10 a month so I'm reminded about it.

Nov 07, 2017 at 01:25 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Alternatives to Adobe products -- excellent resource

The response to Mike Johnston's post that I linked to at the top of this thread was huge (100+ thoughtful replies). He put up a follow-up post the next day where he offered an interesting angle on why so many people hate the subscription model for Lightroom in particular (and less so for Photoshop). I'll quote the key part here to save you hunting through the post. The link to the actual post is below.

Rob

"I think it made sense for Adobe to go to the cloud/subscription model with Photoshop. First, Photoshop is very expensive, and a whole lot of people pirated it; and second, power users who really need it really need it, and don't see any problem with paying for it monthly. It doesn't matter so much to those users when updates are made willy-nilly, whenever Adobe feels like it rather than when they (the users) feel like updating, because if you use it all the time you tend to know it well and changes aren't that difficult to adapt to.

I don't think the same conditions pertain to Lightroom at all. Many users of Lightroom are hobbyists and enthusiasts, on down to occasional and casual users. Their work habits are more fragile because they tend not to master their software as thoroughly or use it as much, so on-the-fly changes to control layouts and look-and-feel can mess them up and frustrate them more easily. Plus, they simply may not use the software enough to make a monthly fee seem worthwhile. You probably never go a month without opening LR, but I bet a lot of people who own it do. The idea of not "owning" their software, not having it safely ensconced on their own hard drive on their own computer, seems more Big-Brotherish and threatening to such users. The feeling of helplessness in the face of an overwhelming corporation is only slightly less unpleasant than actual helplessness."

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2017/11/big-weekend.html

Nov 07, 2017 at 01:52 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Alternatives to Adobe products -- excellent resource

That was a good read, About this part.

The idea of not "owning" their software, not having it safely ensconced on their own hard drive on their own computer, seems more Big-Brotherish

I felt that same way as well but I realized I did not have to use the cloud for storage that sealed the deal fo me. Thinking about it, stand alone was never safely ensconced in my hard drive either. It was always communicating with Adobe for auto updates. Another point made somewhere else is you don't own the software, you just get a licence to use it. If you drop subscription you can still use it, you just don't get the Develop and Map modules and syncing.

However it is very easy to see why people feel that way. I was 100% against it at first.

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:09 PM
Nick Birkett

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Alternatives to Adobe products -- excellent resource

rdeloe wrote:
The response to Mike Johnston's post that I linked to at the top of this thread was huge (100+ thoughtful replies). He put up a follow-up post the next day where he offered an interesting angle on why so many people hate the subscription model for Lightroom in particular (and less so for Photoshop). I'll quote the key part here to save you hunting through the post. The link to the actual post is below.

Rob

"I think it made sense for Adobe to go to the cloud/subscription model with Photoshop. First, Photoshop is very expensive, and a whole lot of people
...Show more

These comments are good and interesting. But, I wanted to make five points:

1. There is a difference between the 'cloud' and 'subscription' models. Subscription relates to the software. 'Cloud' relates to where your images are stored. Photoshop is not 'cloud' based' But, it is 'subscription' tied. Whether you get LR via subscription or a' purchase', it will still be located on your computer. Similarly, whether it is the cloud-based version or Classic, it is still located on your computer. Casual users might find $10/month more palatable than $400 for a purchase You are not required to install every upgrade that Adobe releases for LR or PS.
  2. Whether you get LR via subscription or a' purchase', it will still be located on your computer.
  3. Similarly, whether it is the cloud-based version or Classic, it is still located on your computer.
  4. Casual users might find $10/month more palatable than $400 for a purchase
  5. You are not required to install every upgrade that Adobe releases for LR or PS.

Edited on Nov 07, 2017 at 02:58 PM · View previous versions

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:12 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Alternatives to Adobe products -- excellent resource

AmbientMike wrote:

Adobe has been doing stuff in my computer since I purchased CS2 in 2006. Auto updates. I never owned any software, just purchased the licence to use it.

With subscription you can be without internet service for 3 months before locks up. If internet is available you never have to open LR it as long as the CC dialogue app is open and running. It just lives in the dock - I use MAC. I check it occasionally for updates as this is new to me but it will warn you. Also that news hits the forums as well.

Edited on Nov 07, 2017 at 02:29 PM · View previous versions

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:21 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password