Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Vanguard Alta Pro 2+ 236CT tripod
  
 
DavidBM
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Vanguard Alta Pro 2+ 236CT tripod


Anyone tried this?

I ask because I have a previous model Alta Pro 236CT or some such, which is amongst the best and worst tripods I own.

The best is the horizontal arm, which works better than Gitzo or Benro IMHO, and can be set at any angle with a quick release lever that is genius. It's my go to for macro, even more so than the good Benbo (not Benro!!) I've had for thirty years. It also had the least vibration is some fancy test where they actually measured transmission of energy to the camera (I forget where)

BUT

The twist locks are rubbish, and all the rubber bits fall off quite soon.


It SEEMS as though they might have addressed most of the issues wiht the new one, certainly they claim to have quarter turn twist locks which would be a big improvement.

Anyone have one, who can comment on ergonomics and build?



Nov 05, 2017 at 11:35 PM
Fred Amico
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Vanguard Alta Pro 2+ 236CT tripod


I have a 283CT (about 5-6 years old now) which, so far, hasn't shown any wear on the rubber pieces.


Nov 05, 2017 at 11:38 PM
DavidBM
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Vanguard Alta Pro 2+ 236CT tripod


Fred Amico wrote:
I have a 283CT (about 5-6 years old now) which, so far, hasn't shown any wear on the rubber pieces.


Huh! Got unlucky then. All the rubber on the twist locks has come off mine....
But the real issue (at least with mine) is that locks themselves have a very long throw, and the tubes are always stiff, so its slow in the field.



Nov 05, 2017 at 11:42 PM
Fred Amico
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Vanguard Alta Pro 2+ 236CT tripod


DavidBM wrote:
Huh! Got unlucky then. All the rubber on the twist locks has come off mine....
But the real issue (at least with mine) is that locks themselves have a very long throw, and the tubes are always stiff, so its slow in the field.


Well, the long throw we can agree about - I noticed that as well, but if you mean the tubes are stiff when trying to extend them, mine aren't.




Nov 06, 2017 at 05:08 AM
DavidBM
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Vanguard Alta Pro 2+ 236CT tripod


Fred Amico wrote:
Well, the long throw we can agree about - I noticed that as well, but if you mean the tubes are stiff when trying to extend them, mine aren't.



Huh. Mine are; takes force to extend and to retract, much more that gitzo or even knock offs like Benro. So perhaps there was quite a bit of manufacturing variation.

Anyone tried the new one? I like the lever lock for angling the cross post much more than gitzo/Benro...



Nov 06, 2017 at 07:42 AM







FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password