New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

crashwins
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

sungphoto wrote:
I am pretty hard on my gear, with a lot of running and gunning, and my main working kit gets around 5-10k actuations each month on average (often on 8-10 hour long shoot days) so keep that in mind. I know that Jim Kasson over has over a half million actuations on his a7rii bodies without a shutter failure (though he tends to do a lot of locked down on a tripod work). I'm sure banging bodies against walls a lot and apparently having pretty acidic skin doesn't help

Ha, no doubt..I'd love to see your work done with the Sonys, if you're willing to link it. [edit, just peeped your IG. Awesome stuff. Looks like you're using a 5D4 now, maybe as a second body?]

I wonder if forgoing the use of IBIS would help in these situations. I don't really ever need IBIS except for special circumstances so maybe disabling it would prolong the shutter..

Edited on Nov 07, 2017 at 03:36 PM · View previous versions

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:49 PM
Mikehit
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

In practical terms I am sure it will last 5 years.
If you are someone who considers a camera 'obsolete' because a new model comes out, be prepared to be very disappointed in early 2019.

Apparently, because I own a Canon, I am safe on both fronts

Nov 07, 2017 at 03:24 PM
sungphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

crashwins wrote:
Ha, no doubt..I'd love to see your work done with the Sonys, if you're willing to link it. [edit, just peeped your IG. Awesome stuff. Looks like you're using a 5D4 now, maybe as a second body?]

I wonder if forgoing the use of IBIS would help in these situations. I don't really ever need IBIS except for special circumstances so maybe disabling it would prolong the shutter..

Thanks for the compliment. I've stopped using my A7rii body for paid stuff because it's not great for studio work, so it's my fun cam but I'll prob sell it soon in expectation of the A7r3. Most of my older stuff though was shot with the A7rii or A7ii though.

When my shutter was replaced, they only replaced the shutter assembly and not the IBIS (looking up the invoice, the shutter assembly plus installation was $413, which seems pretty high for a shutter replacement compared to canikon but it ended up being covered by Sony because of the abnormality of the failure). Because of that I'd guess that turning off IBIS would not have any effect on shutter longevity.

Nov 07, 2017 at 08:48 PM
scrappydog
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

crashwins wrote:
So, do the Sony folks who've had the R1, R2, maybe the A7ii think this will make it 5 years? It's sort of a reasonable metric, IMO, for a $3200 purchase.

My short answer is yes. If the reports on its performance are accurate, it sounds like it will be a worthwhile long-term investment. It's a fairly mature product and Sony has continued to improve their bodies. The IQ will certainly hold up. I think the key feature is the lack of EVF blackout at 10fps, although others will certainly point to other features like the bigger battery or dual card slots. Ultimately this is a subjective call.

While it improves on the R2 in a lot of ways (a little like the 5D3 over the 5D2), I want the absolute non-blackout EVF like the one in the A9, but with a higher-res sensor, so I am sticking with the R2 for now.

Nov 07, 2017 at 09:37 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

Only if you can resist an a9r or whatever the next high mp sony will be.

Nov 07, 2017 at 09:57 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

For me the A7rii is a 5 year camera - and I'm still using the A7r too. I don't know how I manage

It's only forums and magazines that persuade you that you should be dissatisfied with what you've got. Now that's not saying that the A7riii won't be better than the 2 but will you really need anything better than the 3.....or even the 2 in my case. Mostly that would be a no but that won't stop us upgrading

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:43 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

You've been seriously unlucky - or hard on your cameras? The A7, A7r and A7rii have been with me from mountain tops (5,500m in Nepal) to freezing cold tundra (Mongolia), from blazing sun (China, SEA and Africa) to pouring rain (rain forests and Iceland) from 43C down to a wind-chilled -50C and I've had nary a murmour from any of them. Maybe I should start worrying more

sungphoto wrote:
From a technical standpoint, the A7r3 seems to finally hit most of the things that make it more suitable for pro shooters (better buffer, more reasonable battery life, and dual card slots) so I think it'll age better than the A7rii if you were to buy either today.

It'll be interesting to see a teardown on the A7R3 to see if they have upgraded the gaskets. I've taken the A7ii and A7rii apart myself, and I agree with the lensrental assessment that the bottom plate is extremely poorly protected from the elements.

Also, if you're a heavy user, the rubber bits wore
...Show more

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:57 PM
umsl12
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

I believe none of us know how long our cameras last. If you want to cover, just buy extended warranty.
I know I will likely upgrade before it gets into the fifth year since my GAS is bad

Nov 08, 2017 at 12:40 AM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

I 100% think yes. My D800E served me well for 5 years and I just had to put blinders on to new tech etc in subsequent releases. I'd bet you $10 a Mark IV is released in 13 months that takes pictures and changes the TV channel for you.. but the sensors have matured to a point that I think you could be satisfied for 5 years.. just my personal opinion 🤷🏼‍♂️

Nov 08, 2017 at 12:44 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

Heck, I've been using the regular old A7 II for the past 2.5 years, and probably could use it for another 2.5 without much issue. I'm not likely to, as I will probably jump to an A7 III when it's released, for improved AF, which is really the only thing that's slightly lacking for my use, but even then, it's done fine.

Image quality of this camera (and the RII) is so high, and with the great build, good battery and excellent AF, I can't imagine that many people will need much beyond this camera for day to day use.

Nov 08, 2017 at 12:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sungphoto
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

Frogfish wrote:
You've been seriously unlucky - or hard on your cameras? The A7, A7r and A7rii have been with me from mountain tops (5,500m in Nepal) to freezing cold tundra (Mongolia), from blazing sun (China, SEA and Africa) to pouring rain (rain forests and Iceland) from 43C down to a wind-chilled -50C and I've had nary a murmour from any of them. Maybe I should start worrying more

Perhaps unlucky? I've owned 5 canons (5dm3, 5dm4, and 5dsr) and none have had issues like I have had with the Sonys. It seems like the issues that people have had with random lockup and freezing have had more to do with the IBIS than the shutter though, so perhaps the fact that you have non-IBIS bodies factors into your lack of issues.

I had a lot of issues with water getting into the MIS contacts on my a7rii last winter in NY. Kept getting an error for invalid third party accessory because the water was shorting it out. Didn't have issues in the central american jungle though which was close to 100% humidity and sometimes over 100 degrees F.

Nov 08, 2017 at 02:39 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

Like all Sonys, they will last just fine. Because Sony concentrated far more on image quality from the get go over the lost years Canon users endured, the older units still make great extra and backup cameras. Quite an effort for these newcomers really, as the competition have been at it forever. Sony have therefore set themselves up very nicely; they are now professionalizing mature product lines, and the user base is flooded with choices.

So Sony is clearly in the vanguard of future proofing, gained from: cutting edge technology, superb integration in a small body, lens versatility, lens modernity, rapid and meaningful model upgrades, and size/weight preferencing among key user groups. The adapter scene is at last maturing. Despite being a large company Sony has been very agile.

How will users perceive a DSLR in five years time? Probably as a design-stagnant and tech-inert museum piece, as relevant and cutting edge as a film Hasselblad. That is already happening, and once the dam wall breaks, it happens fast - we saw all that with the demise of film cameras. Obviously users are also far better served by Sony/Zeiss's (and Fuji's) 'enthusiast up' model than Canon/Nikon's 'pro down' model of marketing. With any luck, the invested pros will be all they have in a few years time.

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:25 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

I never understood why people shit all over one system or another, because of what are effectively bayonet-to-imaging plane distances.

Nov 08, 2017 at 05:49 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

sungphoto wrote:
Perhaps unlucky? I've owned 5 canons (5dm3, 5dm4, and 5dsr) and none have had issues like I have had with the Sonys. It seems like the issues that people have had with random lockup and freezing have had more to do with the IBIS than the shutter though, so perhaps the fact that you have non-IBIS bodies factors into your lack of issues.

I had a lot of issues with water getting into the MIS contacts on my a7rii last winter in NY. Kept getting an error for invalid third party accessory because the water was shorting it out. Didn't have
...Show more
I had issues with a Pentax K5 and D800 but nothing at all with K7, second K5, D3s D600, or D800E and the three Sonys were all golden. You put a lot more actuations on them than I do though.

BTW I have the A7rii which has IBIS of course and so far no issues there, im always careful with the hotshoe as I know shooting without the cover can give issues in adverse weather. Otherwise its taken everything I,ve thrown at it .... to date.

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:16 AM
InFocus2014
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

When I shot my A7Rís, I had a love-hate relationship with those cameras, eagerly anticipating the next iteration from Sony. With the A7RIIís there has been a lot more love and fewer frustrations. With the A9, it has been an experience of love and near total satisfaction. I can see me shooting this camera for some time. With most all my needs met with the A9 and A7RIIís, I even sold my DSLRís. With the A7RIII on pre-order, I might experience nirvana....uh, that is, until the A10 with global shutter (including flash synch), full weather sealing, two stops lower noise, another 1.5 stops of IBIS and ....

Nov 08, 2017 at 10:47 AM
crashwins
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

Some really interesting discussion here...So much appreciated! One thing I never got too much into with Sony was my strobes, which I've since done much more (Rovelights, AD600, Octas, etc). I've heard that Sony doesn't play too nice with strobes, but never understood why. If true, do we anticipate this being an issue with the R3?

My basic understanding is that the aperture has to open up to acquire focus thus there's a slight delay with strobes so maybe slower stuff (like HSS) would be prohibitive...unsure

Nov 08, 2017 at 05:50 PM
ajamils
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

crashwins wrote:
Some really interesting discussion here...So much appreciated! One thing I never got too much into with Sony was my strobes, which I've since done much more (Rovelights, AD600, Octas, etc). I've heard that Sony doesn't play too nice with strobes, but never understood why. If true, do we anticipate this being an issue with the R3?

My basic understanding is that the aperture has to open up to acquire focus thus there's a slight delay with strobes so maybe slower stuff (like HSS) would be prohibitive...unsure

I didn't use any strobes with A7rII but always had issues with regular flashes. I tried different brands and some either caused a slight delay or constantly under exposed or over exposed in TTL mode. Same issue wasn't present with A7II so hopefully Sony has fixed it with A9 and A7rIII

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:20 PM
sungphoto
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

My main beef with integration with strobes is regarding stopped down AF performance in less than ideal light (even after the firmware update) on the A7rii and a7ii. Havenít tested it out with the a9 as itís not the right camera for me for studio work, and having to frequently shoot with some negative space to allow for text in advertising images, I need more than 24mp.

Some have reported issues with TTL with the Godox flashes that are still not resolved, but thatís not an issue for me as I almost always shoot in manual. I also donít like how flimsy and easily breakable the feet are due to the MIS design. Iíve broken nissin and godox speedlite feet putting them into coldshoes, as well as a fairly light drop that would have been totally fine with a traditional metal foot (have yet to break any of my godox speedlites in canon mount). Lastly, one kind of cool feature is that you can make speedlites and the ad200 do a short flash strobe burst as a very intense modeling light of sorts when you press the depth of field preview button on a canon. Lastly Iíve mentioned before how poorly Sonys perform when shooting events in a dark room with a speedlite versus a traditional dslr grid type af beam, but itís hard to say whether that will be rectified with the a7riii.

Honestly though, I think for most people these issues arenít deal killers. It just wasnít acceptable for the way I shoot.

crashwins wrote:

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:29 PM
mreynolds767

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

Will it last 5 years: Sure.
Not the best camera for harsh environment exposure but otherwise Sony's have proven to be reliable.

Will it still be the only camera you need for 5 years.
Depends on you. I definitely think we will see from Sony some major sensor improvements so this camera will not be top of the line in 5 years I am fairly certain.
Really since the A7r Sony has not improved IQ much if at all, it just has improved everything else from a usability and functionality standpoint.

I don't think they will go 5 more years from now without new sensors with better IQ than this current model.

From a Sony owners perspective: The A7rii was a major upgrade from the original A7r ; this one in comparison is not as significant.

Nov 08, 2017 at 08:10 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

sungphoto wrote:
My main beef with integration with strobes is regarding stopped down AF performance in less than ideal light (even after the firmware update) on the A7rii and a7ii. .........

Isn't/wasn't this only an issue with certain lenses ? I'm sure I saw that the FW update sorted that problem with many lenses ?

Nov 11, 2017 at 08:29 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password