New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

crashwins
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

I want this camera..It's the first Sony where I said "I will pay full price for this". I had the R2 for a while and while I loved it, it couldn't be my everything camera because of the speed. Basically a camera as fast and reliable as the D750 is all I will ever need. But the added functionality of eye-AF and WYSIWYG is worth the upgrade. To me, it seems this latest Sony iteration is basically a marriage of the two (+ a few more MPs). Last time I paid full price for a camera it was the 5D3 and I knew it would last me 5 years and it was a worthy investment. With this Sony, I also firmly believe I wouldn't need more tech-wise in a camera for 4-5 years -- it's fast, awesome resolution, good video, etc. But if it won't last that long, that's another thing...

So, do the Sony folks who've had the R1, R2, maybe the A7ii think this will make it 5 years? It's sort of a reasonable metric, IMO, for a $3200 purchase. Am I in war zones? No. Nor am I putting it through monsoons. But I definitely get into the elements...There were some comments regarding gaskets, etc, with the R2, but was never sure if that was hyperbole and a real concern. At minimum, I'd buy a 3-year warranty with it if I were to proceed. Love to hear folks' thoughts here -- thanks for reading!

Nov 05, 2017 at 10:48 PM
pasblues
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

Put me in the camp that says it will be. I've been around photography for decades and camera models have been doled out with this feature and not that forever. This is finally a body that includes everything. I'm like you, I tend to keep gear if it's serving my purposes. The other two Sonys I tried - the A7r and the A7rII did not have everything I needed - so I sold them to upgrade and the A7rIII does have everything I need so I don't anticipate selling it or being unhappy with it.

The only thing that is going to keep it from being "a five year camera" is if you get GAS.

I bought it with the warranty.

Nov 05, 2017 at 11:04 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

Ive been shooting since the 70s and have yet to have a camera die on me. Personally id have complete confidence the camera will function for 5 years.

As far as extended warranty, id read the fine print. Highly doubt it will cover damage caused by the elements.

Nov 05, 2017 at 11:08 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

crashwins wrote:
I want this camera..It's the first Sony where I said "I will pay full price for this". I had the R2 for a while and while I loved it, it couldn't be my everything camera because of the speed. Basically a camera as fast and reliable as the D750 is all I will ever need. But the added functionality of eye-AF and WYSIWYG is worth the upgrade. To me, it seems this latest Sony iteration is basically a marriage of the two (+ a few more MPs). Last time I paid full price for a camera it was the 5D3
...Show more

In some markets Sony are offering a 5 year warranty with pre-orders. That suggests they think it's tolerably reliable.

Of course what's not clear is whether keeping a camera for five years at which point it's worthless and paying full dollar for whatever you want then is much cheaper than selling in two years or so, when you'll get maybe half what you paid, and paying the upgrade tax (and repeat two and a half years later). This may have a similar total cost of ownership, and give you more camera. Though I agree you may not need more camera: the 7r3 for me too costs a threshold of usability and quality which means that further improvements might be nice, but will be less important.

Nov 05, 2017 at 11:10 PM
crashwins
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

Thanks for the quick notes! Yes, there's already the A9, which is more than what I'd need -- 20FPS? Nope. So this is finally something in the Sony camp where I can see myself shelling out the MSRP.

Where is there a 5-year built-in warranty?

Nov 05, 2017 at 11:17 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

chez wrote:
Ive been shooting since the 70s and have yet to have a camera die on me. Personally id have complete confidence the camera will function for 5 years.

As far as extended warranty, id read the fine print. Highly doubt it will cover damage caused by the elements.

True. I bought a 4 year SmartGuard warranty for my A7r that included Accidental Damage from Handling Coverage (ADH Coverage). ADH does not cover damage from weather. However, it does (and did) cover damage from a fall I took scrambling over moss covered boulders in low tide that trashed the EVF. So it was money well spent!

Otherwise my A7r's are now over 4 years old, well used and going strong. Having said that these cameras do not have IBIS, which in my mind is just more high techness that could go wrong. I'm contemplating upgrading one to an A7r III and if I do I will buy a warranty - that includes ADH!

Dave

Nov 05, 2017 at 11:32 PM
realVivek
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

Honestly, i think the A7rIII is a stop gap camera that will be bettered by another one in one year. It may be the next best thing since sliced bread for some though.

Here, in the Netherlands, the 5 year warranty is given. But, the prices are truly atrocious compared to other markets and are nearly twice that of the grey imports. The farmed out repair shop is better avoided.

Nov 06, 2017 at 12:08 AM
crashwins
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

realVivek wrote:
Honestly, i think the A7rIII is a stop gap camera that will be bettered by another one in one year. It may be the next best thing since sliced bread for some though.

Here, in the Netherlands, the 5 year warranty is given. But, the prices are truly atrocious compared to other markets and are nearly twice that of the grey imports. The farmed out repair shop is better avoided.

Well, no doubt there will be a better camera. But what? Im guessing an A9R for $4800. So its a question of cost meeting utility here and the A7R3 being enough for probably most people

Nov 06, 2017 at 12:22 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

I'm sure the camera will physically/mechanically last 5 years. I'm also sure Sony will release a bunch of new ones in that time including A9r and A7R4 but if it is not features that you are worried about and just build quality I'm sure it will do just fine.

Nov 06, 2017 at 01:05 AM
bwcolor
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

My Leica M3s are many decades camera's, less so M6 and then my Contax RTSiii. Had warranty work on my A7, no issues yet with A7Rii. The pattern here for me is with electronic complexity comes less ultimate reliability/longevity. Is this really an issue in an environment where our great new camera becomes "obsolete". Perhaps the op is an exception, but many on this board don't keep cameras and lenses long enough to comment and Sony seems to be improving as they learn how to make these cameras. Just look at the quality improvement of the lens mount from the A7 to the A9. Get your dream camera and whatever extended warranty makes you comfortable with your purchase. That is how I purchase my cars..another progressively more complex consumer item.

Nov 06, 2017 at 01:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

Many credit cards will double the manufacturer's warranty. Also, many insurance companies will insure your gear completely, including damage, theft, lost at sea, etc.
Just some info to consider...

Nov 06, 2017 at 01:14 AM
johnvanr
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

Somehow it feels that with every new Sony release, many say the company has finally made the camera it should have made right away, and then everyone jumps on the new toy.

So, well see.

Nov 06, 2017 at 01:16 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

It depends how much you use the camera and the conditions it sees. I'm another with no failed cameras, many Sony cameras. I read one of the review sites saying his a7r has 150k shutter activations and was fine. Mine is as well, so it's pretty clear that one at least has been very reliable for some of us. It's the Kalashnikov of cameras, lol.

TBH, they have reached an IQ threshold for me, perhaps many others, the a7r has better IQ in some respects than later cams. You get a distorted view on gear forums, not representative of the pop'n of users. Sony ramped up goodness fast, now the a7rIII has people wondering: do I need this, rather than want it? Sonys are special too in another respect: they are so light you can keep an older model and have less lens-changing and a back up, two cameras for the same weight as a Nikon body. That is how we do it for travel.

Electronic devices tend to work or not work, so I never worry about more than the basic warranty.

Nov 06, 2017 at 01:28 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

crashwins wrote:
I want this camera..It's the first Sony where I said "I will pay full price for this". I had the R2 for a while and while I loved it, it couldn't be my everything camera because of the speed. Basically a camera as fast and reliable as the D750 is all I will ever need. But the added functionality of eye-AF and WYSIWYG is worth the upgrade. To me, it seems this latest Sony iteration is basically a marriage of the two (+ a few more MPs). Last time I paid full price for a camera it was the 5D3
...Show more

In this price category what we can expect is an A7r IV in about 2.5 to 3 years and then an A7r V about 2.5 to 3 years later. If you can wait until the A7r V you can make this last for five years. It will still be a great camera then, but expect the A7r IV to be tempting. It will have a new and much better sensor (the A7r III didn't really upgrade the sensor so you can expect the A7r IV to do so). That new sensor will either have more megapixels and/or be a lot faster (with the stacked type sensor we see in the A9). If they go with faster, then you can expect some pretty big gains in AF too. Also expect gains in the EVF as well. If you can forgo all that, the A7r III will still be a great camera and it will last for five years.

Nov 06, 2017 at 05:03 AM
CheechzeppLn
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

In terms of reliability i still own an a100 which is 10 years old and still kicking fine. My a700 and a900 are still kicking too with minimal problems. I did have the mirror fall off on the a900 but i was able to glue it back on with some loctite gel and is holding firm. I wouldn't be too concerned with it's life span. The real question is it enough camera for you to last 5 years in your hands?

Charlie

Nov 06, 2017 at 05:11 AM
crashwins
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

Appreciate everyone chiming in here...I think I will buy this one after all

Nov 07, 2017 at 01:28 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

On my A9 bodies I use the electronic shutter-exclusively. That alone should mean more long term reliability. For my previous DSLR cameras it was always the shutter. And when I sold them How many clix. I am selling my RX10 MKIII and it has No Clix (because I always used the electronic shutter from day one).

I bought three A9 bodies because it was the camera I have been waiting for for-since I began shooting in the late 60s. The only major improvement would be a waterproof unibody like the D5 or 1DX. But even that is non essential for me.

Sony will continue to innovate but just maybe, this time, I will skip a generation because I cant think of what else they can put inside this Camera (I dont Shoot video).

Nov 07, 2017 at 01:14 PM
sungphoto
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

From a technical standpoint, the A7r3 seems to finally hit most of the things that make it more suitable for pro shooters (better buffer, more reasonable battery life, and dual card slots) so I think it'll age better than the A7rii if you were to buy either today.

It'll be interesting to see a teardown on the A7R3 to see if they have upgraded the gaskets. I've taken the A7ii and A7rii apart myself, and I agree with the lensrental assessment that the bottom plate is extremely poorly protected from the elements.

Also, if you're a heavy user, the rubber bits wore out pretty quickly on the A7rii, which is not easily user replaceable. I wore the rubber thumb rest on my last a7rii down to the plastic in about six months, and though the part is relatively cheap, it requires removal of the screen connections and rear plate of the camera. The A7ii requires replacement of the entire back plate to refresh the rubber thumb rest because it's stupidly integrated into it rather than a separate part like on the A7rii.

I also hope that Sony has made the shutter and IBIS more robust versus the A7rii and A7ii. I had a shutter failure at 10k on my old A7ii, and occasional IBIS/shutter lockups ("camera error turn on and off" general error) on two of the A7rii bodies I owned (I think in the end I went through 4 of them due to service issues and resulting returns).

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:00 PM
crashwins
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

sungphoto wrote:
I also hope that Sony has made the shutter and IBIS more robust versus the A7rii and A7ii. I had a shutter failure at 10k on my old A7ii, and occasional IBIS/shutter lockups ("camera error turn on and off" general error) on two of the A7rii bodies I owned (I think in the end I went through 4 of them due to service issues and resulting returns).

Wow, that is pretty discouraging! I've definitely seen a handful or reports on that issue, but that's a lot of warranty/service work. The A9 has upgraded protection, no? I'd think the R3 would get the same treatment since it's the same body (can't be cheaper to make it more complicated for such an inexpensive process). But ugh - that isn't too convincing. I never put the A7R2 through any serious paces when I had it briefly...

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:16 PM
sungphoto
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Is the A7R3 a 5-year camera?

crashwins wrote:
Wow, that is pretty discouraging! I've definitely seen a handful or reports on that issue, but that's a lot of warranty/service work. The A9 has upgraded protection, no? I'd think the R3 would get the same treatment since it's the same body (can't be cheaper to make it more complicated for such an inexpensive process). But ugh - that isn't too convincing. I never put the A7R2 through any serious paces when I had it briefly...

I am pretty hard on my gear, with a lot of running and gunning, and my main working kit gets around 5-10k actuations each month on average (often on 8-10 hour long shoot days) so keep that in mind. I know that Jim Kasson over has over a half million actuations on his a7rii bodies without a shutter failure (though he tends to do a lot of locked down on a tripod work). I'm sure banging bodies against walls a lot and apparently having pretty acidic skin doesn't help

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:44 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password