New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

what lenses for candid photography???

chiron
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · what lenses for candid photography???

pasblues wrote:
I remember Jeff. He's a great guy and a great shooter. I haven't looked him up in a long time.

Did or do you actually know him? His wife's photography has also developed a beautiful and stately style.

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:58 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · what lenses for candid photography???

chiron wrote:
Yes, but the Canon AE-1 had a focusing screen that was designed to help you see when the sharp focus occurred. Mirrorless screens are terrible for manual focusing of live subjects, IMHO. The focus peaking and magnification take you right out of composing and watching faces and into a magnified view that misleads you about what you are shooting--if it is live and changeable. They are great with landscapes or architecture or still lifes, or with autofocus lenses. But the evf is really not designed for live manual focus with live subjects. IMHO.

this is a terrible way to try to shoot manual focus candid photos imo, way to slow. if you are going to try to manual focus these, you need to turn off focus peaking and focus magnification. i actually think the evf is better for manual focus than my old film cameras viewfinders (minolta xd11 and contax aria), and my hit rate shooting the same lenses on film and digital bears this out.

i don't find the types of photos you are talking about to be difficult at all with manual focus, running kid is much more difficult than adults moving about their business, but i'm not gonna tell you AF isn't faster. i shot the a9 with 55/1.8 and 35/1.4 (the 35 is wonderful for this except it makes people nervous with its size) and it can hit and hold eye focus before i could even reach the focus ring. when eye focus doesn't work i still found manual focus faster than using the joystick to target the right spot.

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:46 PM
jgoetz4
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · what lenses for candid photography???

chiron wrote:
Do you find that it is sensitive enough for getting sharp eyeballs?

I don't normally use it for portraits, but rather landscapes, wildlife and construction progress pictures. The shot of Murphy, as well as his brother, and sister, were taken after trial and error. A few misses, but a few sharp pictures as well. I just picked up the 7Artisian 25mm 1.8, and am looking forward to use that as well

Nov 07, 2017 at 01:17 PM
chiron
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · what lenses for candid photography???

sebboh wrote:
this is a terrible way to try to shoot manual focus candid photos imo, way to slow. if you are going to try to manual focus these, you need to turn off focus peaking and focus magnification. i actually think the evf is better for manual focus than my old film cameras viewfinders (minolta xd11 and contax aria), and my hit rate shooting the same lenses on film and digital bears this out.

i don't find the types of photos you are talking about to be difficult at all with manual focus, running kid is much more difficult than adults
...Show more

Yes, except I remember the split image optical focusing screens as much sharper and having more contrast than unaided EVFs and easier to get critical focus on (I prefer the EVFs for many other reasons). Of course, YMMV.

Nov 07, 2017 at 01:21 PM
expwmbat

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · what lenses for candid photography???

Have you considered glass plate negatives?

Ha! Sharpness is a bourgeois concept.

DJK

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:12 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · what lenses for candid photography???

chiron wrote:
Yes, except I remember the split image optical focusing screens as much sharper and having more contrast than unaided EVFs and easier to get critical focus on (I prefer the EVFs for many other reasons). Of course, YMMV.

you need to change your evf settings to make images pop more in evf. i use both at the same time and definitely prefer the evf to split screen slrs for manual focus (slrs) are still better for bright backlit scenes.

Nov 07, 2017 at 03:11 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · what lenses for candid photography???

i actually turn the contrast all the way down on my evf and the sharpness all the way up. this makes things pop into focus more for me and also often gives a moire shimmer to objects that are in focus. different settings may be better for different cameras, i haven't played much with optimizing for the a9. i actually find focusing at f/1.2 to be easier than with slow lenses because things pop into focus more

Nov 07, 2017 at 06:36 PM
chiron
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · what lenses for candid photography???

Another approach when your subject won't hold still is to use this new-fangled thing they call "autofocus."

Nov 07, 2017 at 06:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · what lenses for candid photography???

chiron wrote:
Another approach when your subject won't hold still is to use this new-fangled thing they call "autofocus."

yeah, but i don't enjoy using it, it doesn't work on lenses i actually like, and it solves a problem i don't have.

i admit i do like it for shooting inconspicuously from the waist, but that's not something do much.

Nov 07, 2017 at 06:55 PM
pasblues
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · what lenses for candid photography???

chiron wrote:
Did or do you actually know him? His wife's photography has also developed a beautiful and stately style.

Jeff was a regular on another forum that I was also on over the past 15 years - and in that way, I "know" him. I found him to be very generous with sharing information and helping fellow professionals. I'm glad his wife has developed her skills as well, because it's nice to be able to work with someone you trust and can interact with frequently. Easier on accounting as well.

Nov 07, 2017 at 07:28 PM
pasblues
• •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · what lenses for candid photography???

sebboh wrote:
i actually turn the contrast all the way down on my evf and the sharpness all the way up. this makes things pop into focus more for me and also often gives a moire shimmer to objects that are in focus. different settings may be better for different cameras, i haven't played much with optimizing for the a9. i actually find focusing at f/1.2 to be easier than with slow lenses because things pop into focus more

Great tip for those of us using MF lenses a lot.

Nov 07, 2017 at 07:28 PM
pasblues
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · what lenses for candid photography???

chiron wrote:

The new AF technology is insanely good. Of course, it's going to work best when the shutter speed is fast enough to stop movement but that's another animal.

I have an old colleague that - back in the 90s - we were dialoguing about what the future of photography might be and he said that his ideal would be a camera that is in your eyeball. lol. Yeah, we were just chewing the fat. But...the eye-follow focus...jeez, that's just sci-fi to me. It's magic.

Nov 07, 2017 at 07:31 PM
chiron
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · what lenses for candid photography???

pasblues wrote:
The new AF technology is insanely good. Of course, it's going to work best when the shutter speed is fast enough to stop movement but that's another animal.

I have an old colleague that - back in the 90s - we were dialoguing about what the future of photography might be and he said that his ideal would be a camera that is in your eyeball. lol. Yeah, we were just chewing the fat. But...the eye-follow focus...jeez, that's just sci-fi to me. It's magic.

Canon used to have --in the EOS 5 and the EOS 3--a system that placed the focus point where you looked! It was never quite good enough to be transparent. But imagine if you had a camera that placed the focus point where you initially looked, and then could also lock on to the eye of your principal subject. You would focus by making eye contact (through the viewfinder) with your subject!

I would imagine that the eye directed focus could be done much better now. I wonder why Canon never brought it back.

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:10 PM
genji
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · what lenses for candid photography???

sebboh wrote:
yeah, but i don't enjoy using it, it doesn't work on lenses i actually like, and it solves a problem i don't have.

i admit i do like it for shooting inconspicuously from the waist, but that's not something do much.

I shoot from the waist 99% of the time. When one wishes to be inconspicuous, autofocus is indispensable but for static subjects I find manual focus is often preferable. And thanks for the tip about turning the contrast down and the sharpness up. I'll give that a try to see how it works on the LCD monitor.

Nov 08, 2017 at 11:19 AM
expwmbat

p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · what lenses for candid photography???

sebboh wrote:

I want to try this but I'm unsure how--can you explain how to turn down the contrast and turn sharpness up on the EVF of a Sony A7II? I poked around last night and couldn't figure it out.

DJK

Nov 08, 2017 at 12:34 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · what lenses for candid photography???

expwmbat wrote:
I want to try this but I'm unsure how--can you explain how to turn down the contrast and turn sharpness up on the EVF of a Sony A7II? I poked around last night and couldn't figure it out.

DJK

it's in the creative style settings, you can change contrast, saturation, and sharpness for each "creative style" and it effects how the image is displayed in the viewfinder (it also effects jpeg output if you shoot jpegs).

Nov 08, 2017 at 05:03 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password