Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Just bought a camera and took some NYC skyline photos. Pl...

newjerseysurf

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Just bought a camera and took some NYC skyline photos. Please critique.

would love to know what i can do better next time.

the obvious first point is to try and get the foliage out of the way, which was not possible due to the height of my tripod.

otherwise, anything good here to learn from?

thanks.

Nov 05, 2017 at 07:20 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Just bought a camera and took some NYC skyline photos. Please critique.

good stuff with the new tool

Nov 05, 2017 at 10:35 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Just bought a camera and took some NYC skyline photos. Please critique.

Fine subject! My comments;
Get rid of the distracting tree leaf in the left.
Try a shorter exposure or smaller aperture to sharpen the lights.
Try some noise reduction.
Keep posting!
Dan

Nov 06, 2017 at 12:03 PM
newjerseysurf

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Just bought a camera and took some NYC skyline photos. Please critique.

Danpbphoto wrote:
Fine subject! My comments;
Get rid of the distracting tree leaf in the left.
Try a shorter exposure or smaller aperture to sharpen the lights.
Try some noise reduction.
Keep posting!
Dan

i am trying to figure out the noise issue since this was shot @ ISO 100

any thoughts?

Nov 06, 2017 at 12:22 PM
CMYK Designs
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Just bought a camera and took some NYC skyline photos. Please critique.

newjerseysurf wrote:

any thoughts?

Very nice shots on a first attempt! .....Seems like the cityscape needs to be straightened a little, to make the buildings vertically correct.

Noise is typically an inherent issue with night photography, no matter the ISO. Believe it or not, it can get worse if the ISO is too low, so experiment bit. For starters, I never use NR in camera, only post processing and after I do sharpening in Lightroom. You can also reduce noise by using the black slider to reduce (hide) the noise in those areas.

Nov 06, 2017 at 12:53 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Just bought a camera and took some NYC skyline photos. Please critique.

newjerseysurf wrote:

any thoughts?

Sure glad to offer some advice...does you editing software have a NR feature? I believe Google Nik Dfine NR is free and it is tremendous! Been using it for 10 years or more. But most post processing software has vg NR. Looks like the whole Nik collection is free and it all is great!!!
Dan
https://www.google.com/nikcollection/
"Today we’re making the Nik Collection available to everyone, for free. Photo enthusiasts all over the...

Updated on Thursday, March 24, 2016

Today we’re making the Nik Collection available to everyone, for free.

Photo enthusiasts all over the world use the Nik Collection to get the best out of their images every day. As we continue to focus our...."

Nov 06, 2017 at 02:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

newjerseysurf

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Just bought a camera and took some NYC skyline photos. Please critique.

Danpbphoto wrote:
Sure glad to offer some advice...does you editing software have a NR feature? I believe Google Nik Dfine NR is free and it is tremendous! Been using it for 10 years or more. But most post processing software has vg NR. Looks like the whole Nik collection is free and it all is great!!!
Dan
https://www.google.com/nikcollection/
"Today we’re making the Nik Collection available to everyone, for free. Photo enthusiasts all over the...

Updated on Thursday, March 24, 2016

Today we’re making the Nik Collection available to everyone, for free.

Photo enthusiasts all over the world use the Nik Collection to get the best out of their
...Show more

i do have Nik, yes!

just surprised to see that amount of noise @ such a low ISO. but apparently it's not all that uncommon?

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:39 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Just bought a camera and took some NYC skyline photos. Please critique.

I love it! You can use the Selective Tool for the areas that need it the most or more...I use it regularly!!
Dan

Edited on Nov 08, 2017 at 11:36 AM · View previous versions

Nov 06, 2017 at 04:24 PM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Just bought a camera and took some NYC skyline photos. Please critique.

Is OK....the shot is a bit noisy. Try to use ISO100 and long exposure. You may need to learn how to use remote shutter. I live in NYC all my life and so I don't find NYC night time shots interesting... So, you have to really work hard on it to get some interesting shots...if you want to impress other New Yorkers...

Nov 08, 2017 at 12:14 AM
newjerseysurf

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Just bought a camera and took some NYC skyline photos. Please critique.

TooManyShots wrote:
Is OK....the shot is a bit noisy. Try to use ISO100 and long exposure. You may need to learn how to use remote shutter. I live in NYC all my life and so I don't find NYC night time shots interesting... So, you have to really work hard on it to get some interesting shots...if you want to impress other New Yorkers...

i did shoot @ ISO 100

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:59 PM
gstrong

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Just bought a camera and took some NYC skyline photos. Please critique.

I think they are great. I love all of the color in the second one

Nov 10, 2017 at 02:47 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password