New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · 500mm just broke in half

Lynda
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 500mm just broke in half

Yes.. it really did. Returning from a photo trip Friday night, I was unloading the car and set my camera (1DX) with the 500mm plus 1.4 extender attached, on its' hood on the driveway (standing upright) I turned to grab my bag and it toppled over hitting the blacktop.I reached down to pick it up by the lens plate and only half came up. The other half of the lens was laying there on the ground. I stifled a scream, grabbed up the other half and ran into the house with it. Upon inspection, I could see that it broke off cleanly none of the glass is damaged. It looks like an internal ring of some sort (it's white) snapped off clean all the way around. Totally my fault. I've always had the habit of standing it on end. Never fell over before. Until now.. I am just sick about this. As a CPS Gold member, I immediately called them. The guy said he'd never heard of a 500mm breaking in half before. I'm hand delivering it to Canon Newport News repair facility on Tuesday. Not even sure if they can fix it, let alone how much it will cost. Any thoughts?. I already know how stupid I am, so please don't rub it in. I feel crappy enough as it is. Actually, I'm a little shocked that it would break that easily. Water resistant but not shock resistant, apparently.. btw..the camera is fine.
Pics are here if you care to look. Sickening..
https://lyndablair.smugmug.com/Other/Oops/

Nov 05, 2017 at 11:42 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 500mm just broke in half

Bummer.

If the lens is not repairable due to lack of parts, maybe you can sell it for the all good parts?

EBH

Nov 05, 2017 at 11:46 AM
riokid
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 500mm just broke in half

OUCH

CPS just stopped servicing the 300/2.8L V I. Glad CPS is still repairing the old 500L. V II was released on May 2011 so end-of-life for the 500L V I will occur pretty soon.

Please let us know how it goes on Tuesday and I am hoping it will not be as painful on your pocketbook.

Nov 05, 2017 at 12:01 PM
Lynda
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 500mm just broke in half

riokid wrote:
OUCH

CPS just stopped servicing the 300/2.8L V I. Glad CPS is still repairing the old 500L. V II was released on May 2011 so end-of-life for the 500L V I will occur pretty soon.

Please let us know how it goes on Tuesday and I am hoping it will not be as painful on your pocketbook.

Yikes! I never thought about that. I'm just hoping they can fix it. I'll know Tues. if they can but won't know the cost probably. I have a bad feeling about this. Used ones are going for 4K, so if they can fix it, I can tell if it's going to be worth it. Thanks!

Nov 05, 2017 at 12:14 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 500mm just broke in half

Bummer, yes. OTOH, it'll probably be an easy fix. I've seen 70-200/2.8 and 300/2.8 lenses broken right in half. A week later, they were back in service, with no visible consequences (aside from the repair bills).

Nov 05, 2017 at 12:15 PM
Lynda
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 500mm just broke in half

jcolwell wrote:
Bummer, yes. OTOH, it'll probably be an easy fix. I've seen 70-200/2.8 and 300/2.8 lenses broken right in half. A week later, they were back in service, with no visible consequences (aside from the repair bills).

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You just made my day..

Nov 05, 2017 at 12:17 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 500mm just broke in half

Geez! As someone very new in owning a 500 (recently got a II on ebay) this hurts to see.... hope they can fix it without too much cost

Edited on Nov 05, 2017 at 12:48 PM · View previous versions

Nov 05, 2017 at 12:21 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 500mm just broke in half

It appears to be a press fit and I saw no bent edges, so, it might be easier than you think.

Canon will never admit it, but it offer an excellent opportunity to clean the internals.

I hope you are successful.

Nov 05, 2017 at 12:22 PM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 500mm just broke in half

WOW!!(my wife even said ouch when I showed her). That’s funny looking. I never knew that could happen before! I hope it’s an easy and price friendly fix for you.

Nov 05, 2017 at 12:27 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 500mm just broke in half

I knocked my 500 over twice off a table, once it broke an extender in half and once I had to send it to Canon. I forget how much they charged me but it was worth it.
It is always a bummer when you drop expensive glass like that.

Nov 05, 2017 at 12:32 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 500mm just broke in half

I'm a photojournalist and snapped lenses in two a couple of times over the decades. These things actually appear to be designed to sheer off on severe impact with minimal damage to the optics or mechanics--which I consider an excellent design tweak. Incidentally, strobes also appear to be designed to break at the hot shoe without trashing the pentaprism assembly.

I can't say what repair will cost these days, but it will be a lot cheaper than a new lens!

Nov 05, 2017 at 01:46 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 500mm just broke in half

A lesson I learned, too.

My lens didn't break in half, but something loosened and one part rotated slightly independently from the other part.

Fortunately, it was repairable by an independent shop.

I used to set the camera down with the front of the lens on the ground, camera body up. Never ever again since then- I set the whole thing down horizontally.

Nov 05, 2017 at 01:53 PM
MatthewK
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 500mm just broke in half

I can only imagine the sick feeling in your stomach when it happened. You have insurance coverage on the lens?

((after reading this thread, unassumingly goes downstairs and moves my currently upright-standing 500 into it's horizontal-laying camera bag ))

Nov 05, 2017 at 01:54 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 500mm just broke in half

I watched a 600mm on a tripod fall over. The lens broke in half with the two halves being connected with a wire ribbon. I assume the guy was able to have it fixed as in your case everything else looked pretty good.

Nov 05, 2017 at 02:10 PM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 500mm just broke in half

Good Luck! I hope it is still repairable. I hope also that you have insurance. That premium always seems like a big number until you experience an event like this. BTW, a membership in PPA comes with free insurance (as well as an opportunity to upgrade (paid) to more extensive coverage. You have my sympathy. I've been there (200mm FD 2.8 onto concrete), about 37 years ago. It still hurts to think about it.

Nov 05, 2017 at 02:45 PM
Lynda
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 500mm just broke in half

Learned my lesson!

Nov 05, 2017 at 03:01 PM
Lynda
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 500mm just broke in half

MatthewK wrote:
I can only imagine the sick feeling in your stomach when it happened. You have insurance coverage on the lens?

((after reading this thread, unassumingly goes downstairs and moves my currently upright-standing 500 into it's horizontal-laying camera bag ))

Lol.. good for you! Learned my lesson! Never again.

Nov 05, 2017 at 03:02 PM
doogie2304
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 500mm just broke in half

hope it works out ok - but on the plus side, it's easier to pack this way...

Nov 05, 2017 at 03:45 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 500mm just broke in half

I snapped my 24-70 f/2.8 II in half once. It's not as big or expensive, but if the glass is ok, you may be pleasantly surprised how little it will cost to fix it. I was.

Nov 05, 2017 at 04:00 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 500mm just broke in half

And that is why I have an insurance rider on my gear......100% covered....

Nov 05, 2017 at 04:13 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.