Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Should I sell my 35mm ii?

AEnigma

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Should I sell my 35mm ii?

I currently feel like i might have too much overlap in my wider angle lenses. I have a 16-35mm f/4, 24-70mm ii and 35mm ii. I use the first for landscapes, the second for events/weddings, and the third for environmental portraits and occasional extreme low light situations. However, I feel like the 35mm ii doesn't get much use otherwise, and I believe the 24-70mm ii could fill its place. I currently have a 6d ii body and a T6S as a backup body with a 135mm L and a 100mm L. If I sell the 35mm ii, I'm thinking of maybe upgrading T6S body for a 5DS body to complement my 6D ii. I would also like to buy a longer telephoto lens (Above 200mm for wildlife/ sports). So, if I sold the 35mm ii, I was thinking of getting the 70-300mm L, or if I paid a little more, got the 100-400mm II.
I shoot a wife range of subjects and genres, so any thoughts on which option? Another could be to keep the 35mm ii, pay for the 70-300mm L out of pocket, and upgrade my T6s to a 7D ii just for wildlife/ sports.
Also, all of this equipment I would be buying used and not new.

Nov 05, 2017 at 02:07 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Should I sell my 35mm ii?

A fast 35 is an essential bit of kit IMO.

If push comes to shove liquidate it and buy a cheap, used Sigma 35 and put the rest toward a 100-400.

Nov 05, 2017 at 02:24 PM
jgoetz4
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Should I sell my 35mm ii?

Good morning. Different lenses for different reasons, and since you use them all, I would keep them. Pony up for the 100-400 II. I don't think you'll be sorry

Nov 05, 2017 at 02:26 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Should I sell my 35mm ii?

Whether or not you should sell the 35/1.4L II is an entirely personal decision. I sold my 24/1.4 and 35/1.4 after getting 1DX and 6D bodies, as their high ISO performance was good enough to get decent shutter speeds with slower lenses (f/2.8 and f/4 zooms), and that's about the only reason I used f/1.4, for wide angle lenses.

IMO, the EF 100-400L IS II is a better choice than the 70-300L IS, unless you really value the relatively small size of the 70-300L IS (it's half the size and weight of the 100-400L IS II). I've owned both, and the 70-300L IS is long gone. OTOH, I also have other choices for zoom and prime lenses.

Nov 05, 2017 at 02:33 PM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Should I sell my 35mm ii?

The 24-70 is 2 stops slower, which is a big difference. Unless you are at f/4 or stopped down a lot anyways.

For wildlife I'd rather have 400mm than 300. But I'd think either should be good.

Should be able to shoot wildlife with the T6s.

Nov 05, 2017 at 03:43 PM
artsf
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Should I sell my 35mm ii?

replace it with a much cheaper 35 f/2 IS which is great for video too.

Nov 05, 2017 at 04:52 PM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Should I sell my 35mm ii?

I have all three of those lenses and I doubt I would sell my 35II as its a stunningly sharp lens. As mentioned the 24-70II is two stops slower, and the 16-35 at 35 is no match for the 35II imo.

As a person who has shot birds for ten years I would not recommend any less than 400mm for wildlife. Most song birds are in the 5 to 8 inch range in size and some even smaller like 4in head to tail and not easily approached, so you should be able to figure it out from there on focal length required to fill the frame or even half the frame.

Good luck!

Nov 05, 2017 at 05:09 PM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Should I sell my 35mm ii?

I’d keep the 35 if I could. While I do love my 24-70 IS, it’s just too slow for low light. I used my 40 STM for a Halloween party and even that was just ok. I think a fast wide/normal prime should be in everyone’s kit. You don’t need to have 1.4(although it won’t hurt) as F2 should be good enough.
As far as wildlife, the longer, the better. 100-400 II is an excellent lens, albeit big and bulky. It was pretty much always on my 7D2 but I always wanted more reach so you might want to look at getting a 1.4tc as well.

Nov 05, 2017 at 05:22 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Should I sell my 35mm ii?

IMO it all boils down to how much you use it, as far as the 35mm goes.
The 100-400II is a stellar lens, I love the focal range. Very few 4X zooms are nearly as good.

Nov 05, 2017 at 05:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Should I sell my 35mm ii?

FWIW. I sold off my 35. Yes, I loved the fast aperture, but found few situations where wide angle coupled with wide aperture was an advantage. Much/most wide angle was done for landscape and the occasional up close/wide shots. Really didn't use the aperture. I don't do weddings. (Two was more than enough so can't comment on how useful it might be in that situation though I can't think of many situations where that wide of a lens would be valuable for a wedding.

I've found that between the 16-35 and the 24-70, I have all the width I need. Yes, these are slower than the 35's f/1.4, but again doesn't seem to be a problem. The 35's speed was wonderful for indoor sports, but wide wasn't useful. One factor that has affected this is that I'm now shooting with the 1Dx II and the 5DIV. It is hard to emphasize just how good these cameras are at extreme ISO.

In what might be deemed a community service, I cover the high school sports for this small town's (pop. 3,000) newspaper. The lighting has become so bad at the field house that I'm forced to shoot at 25,600. I am truly amazed at just how good this stratospheric ISO is. Yes, these pix require work (careful NR and sharpening) but are plenty good for the paper and the right images with work are good to print. Images in the paper's online version are particularly good.

I decided a bit ago to sell off my primes and move to all zoom. The only exceptions were to keep the extraordinary 135 f/2.0, the 150mm macro, the 24 TSE II, and the goofy but lovable Samyang 14mm ultra wide.

I have both the 70-300 and the 100-400 v. II. My partner took off with the 70-300 so I use the 100-400. This lens is a beast and requires adaptation to use properly. I've found the front focus ring to be a significant challenge. It's also - by far - the heaviest lens I own. (I weighed the lens mounted on my 1Dx II. The rig came to about 15 pounds. My wrist/arm needs a weight lifting regimen Makes my 70-200 f/2.8 seem svelte. I use the 100-400 mostly for wildlife and spring softball/baseball.

Can’t really give you definitive advice. Really depends on just how much you need to go dark and wide. When making lens choices, I analyze my work by searching for specific lenses in Lr in order to learn how much I use each one. The 35mm didn't make the cut.

Nov 05, 2017 at 05:46 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Should I sell my 35mm ii?

A number of years back I also felt that I needed the high end Canon primes for my (mostly landscape) photography, buying into the notion that only they could produce sufficient image quality for large prints. But I also needed zooms for certain elements of my work. Consequently I used both types of lenses side by side. (At one point I was going into the field with nine lenses. In a very big and heavy pack.)

Eventually — not that long, really — I discovered that the better Canon L zooms produce outstanding image quality that is more than sufficient for producing very large, high quality prints. I also realized that the zooms allow me to produce ideal compositional framing in camera as opposed to compromising the framing to match a prime focal length or cropping in post.

I didn't make a conscious decision to stop using my primes, but even when I carried them into the field I just found fewer and fewer reasons to use them. They were — and are — excellent lenses, but one-by-one I sold (almost) all of them* — 35mm, 135mm, 85mm.

Dan

* Two follow-up points:

1. I use a second prime-based system for my street and travel photography. For this work I usually do prefer primes — not for image quality reasons, but for the smaller size/weight and the ability to work quickly.

2. I still have two of the Canon primes, the 24mm f/1.4L II and the classic 50mm f/1.4. I'll probably continue to hang onto the 50mm "just because." But if anyone is looking for a Canon 24mm prime... ;-)

Nov 05, 2017 at 06:10 PM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Should I sell my 35mm ii?

OntheRez,

If I was you, I might want to weight that 1DX II and the 100-400II again, as the Camera and lens are 6 pounds and not 15 as quoted. 1Dx II is 1530g. and the 100-400II is 1490g giving a total of 3020g which is 3020g= 6lb 10.52737oz

My 1DxII and 600II come in at 5450g which is 5450g= 12lb 0.2431082oz

FaKE NeWs? lol

Nov 06, 2017 at 07:15 PM
Eric Gottesman
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Should I sell my 35mm ii?

I went back and forth between purchasing 24mm or 35mm prime. I ended up with the 24mm 1.4, but always wish I had the 35mm to compare.

I agree it's really nice to have a fast, wide lens. Since you have more dof than longer lenses the larger aperture is more forgiving in low light situations (composing accordingly of course).

Sorry if it's a hijack of the thread, but how many of you consider both 24mm and 35mm great to have or is the difference small enough that you tend to carry only one of the two?

Nov 06, 2017 at 07:30 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Should I sell my 35mm ii?

You have three different ways to get to 35mm. As you have found out: is this really doing anything for you? I got rid of my old 35 ver 1 and got a 35/2 IS which is more useful as I use this as my available light lens when light levels get really low. When a 24-70 f2.8 IS appears though, I doubt I will keep it. What's a stop between friends nowadays? I think these prestige lenses are very often money sinks for little added advantage: not that they aren't good lenses.

If you feel this way, then I would recoup your money and sell it, or perhaps buy a 50/1.8 STM or 35/2 IS or something smaller and cheaper that will give you a wide aperture at less cost in money and weight.

Nov 06, 2017 at 09:54 PM
rek101
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Should I sell my 35mm ii?

If money is an issue, I think you would keep a lens like the 35 f/1.4 II for a specific look you really loved. If you kind of like it, that's a lot of money to spend if you already have a 24 70 II which at 35 takes pretty darn nice shots. But 1.4 is 1.4...nothing else is going to create that look.

As for low light use, I think that is less strait forward, yes you can use 1.4 in very low light, but you also have very thin depth of field so you might not be able to get a lot of the kinds of photos you wanted in the first place.

Why not a 70 to 200 with a 2x teleconverter? You could probably sell the 135 if that solution worked.

Nov 06, 2017 at 11:41 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Should I sell my 35mm ii?

How does your style work for shooting weddings/events? I personally shoot ~50% of weddings at 35mm and f/1.6-f/2 but for every person like me there are 5 that shoot it at f/2.8 with the zoom.

If you prefer the zoom then yes dump the 35L and get a 50STM for the times you need f/1.8.

It's very rare in this day and age that one NEEDS f/1.4 due to light. It's more to do with correction and DOF in my opinion (good f/1.4 optics tend to be pretty amazing at f/1.8).

Nov 06, 2017 at 11:51 PM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Should I sell my 35mm ii?

IMO if you're not going to use it that much and can get a decent price, I'd let it go.

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:22 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Should I sell my 35mm ii?

Hmmm. I've been shooting in a recording studio in Austin all day and used three versions of 35mm - the 1.4II, the 24-70 II and the 16-35 IS. Wouldn't get rid of any of them, especially the fast one. They're all just different arrows for your quiver. As soon as you sell one you're gonna wish you hadn't.

Nov 07, 2017 at 05:19 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password