New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2017 · DSLR for Maui Vacation

la puffin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · DSLR for Maui Vacation

Thanks for all of the advice. I travel with my TT Airport Security with a 400, 70-200, 24-70, 2 D5 bodies and a 15" MBP plus all of the accoutrements - flying in and out isn't an issue.

I had a D750 and never made friends with it for various reasons and I ruled that out.

I put in my f/2.8 requirement because I've never owned anything slower than 2.8 (until I buy a 600/4). I love shallow DoF for portraits and 2.8 is great in low light.

I don't plan on taking the gear everywhere as I'll be poolside or on the golf course a lot, but when I do take it, I'm not going to be happy with a iPhone or little Sony. I learned that the last time. Also I guess my judgement of heavy is pretty subjective since I'm used to running around with a 400/2.8 and the 70-200E for 3+ hours at a time.

sandy27000 wrote:
i have travelled a lot with the D5 (Europe, Australia and within India), and will take the D5 and my new D850 on my next vacation in Dec.

My two cents on a possible combo for you:

1) D5
2) 24-70
3) 70-200
4) rent a 35mm f1.8G or a 58mm f1.4G for walkabout
5) rent a 105mm f1.4E, it’s a great lens to use on a trip like this

My logic is that you don’t have airline weight restriction, so might as well take a bit more and use what you need on a given day.

I decided I'm going with the D5 and 24-70 and 70-200. It's my gear and I know them like the back of my hand. I may consider renting a 35/1.8, but I don't like the 105/1.4 and probably wouldn't bother to use it because of this. I have a TT Speed Racer v2 that will hold the body with a lens mounted and another lens, so that is pretty well set.

I walked around Santa Cruz today with the 24-70 on a D5 and a new strap might be better and make this easier. I love the Peak Design system for pro work shooting sports, but it might not be the best for this situation. Walking around it cut into my "left chest" which as never been a problem on a field, but it was today. In just a t-shirt or dress will probably be worse.

I'm staying in 4 and 5 star resorts, but I'm a little concerned about my gear being in the hotel room unaccompanied. I have a full pro policy with Hill & Usher, but still the process of replacing everything, making sure the lenses are good copies, AF tuning, etc ... is such a PITA. I'd feel better with the TT Airport because at least I could lock it up and lock it to the bed or desk.

Nov 05, 2017 at 07:02 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · DSLR for Maui Vacation

Many four and five star hotels have safes in the rooms. You should call and ask.

Nov 05, 2017 at 07:43 PM
la puffin
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · DSLR for Maui Vacation

Those are pretty small. You can fit a 15" MBP in one if you angle it in. I might be able to slide a lens or two on top, but not the body too. My bf's MBP has to go in there too

Nov 05, 2017 at 07:45 PM
sandy27000
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · DSLR for Maui Vacation

I use Black Rapid Breathe on my D5 and it works well for me (and for my wife for the rare occasions she uses that camera). I have PD strap too, but like BR more.

I lock the stuff down in my regular luggage (got the TT Airport Security bag only recently and haven’t used it yet). I’m not a pro and don’t have insurance, so safety of my gear while traveling is a concern, but much less so in a 4 or 5 star hotel.

Nov 05, 2017 at 08:11 PM
Danny W.

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · DSLR for Maui Vacation

morris wrote:
Make shore to visit the top of Heliaca Volcano. You want to be up there in the morning, sunrise is very popular.

Morris

Great advice, but it's named Haleakala.

We've been to Maui eight times, the last in 1999 just before we moved to O'ahu for a few years. We took two F5's, one F4s, a couple of Action Touch for underwater, a 35Ti and six or seven lenses from 16/2.8 to 500/4, plus TC's. Also, 10 bricks of E100VS.

Times change--if we were to go now, I'd take a D500 with 12-24,16-80, 70-200/4 and 300 PF.

Danny W.

Nov 05, 2017 at 10:02 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · DSLR for Maui Vacation

Keep in mind as of earlier this year, the summit of Haleakala, otherwise known as the volcano, requires reservations for sunrise. Wouldn't be fun to get up at 3am (actually kind of easy if your still on EST) drive all the way there and get turned around at the visitor center entrance.

Sadly though, like most national parks, its simply mobbed with tour buses, hundreds of tripods set up, and bumper to bumper traffic lines, and very, very few parking spots on the submit. There is a lower parking lot with a lot more spots, but its a bit of a hike up to the summit and even that fills up.

I'd actually suggest sunset, because there are less crowds, its much warmer while the sun is still up, and you can do some other hiking like on the Shifting Sands trail down into the crater before the sun starts to set.

Other than the direction, the sunrise and sunset look quite similar as it goes above/below the cloud layer

Nov 06, 2017 at 12:31 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · DSLR for Maui Vacation

First off, make sure you don't leave any bags visible in your car when you park it. I was in Maui about ten years ago and had a great time, but our car was broken into while we were exploring some bamboo forests on the island and my friend lost his backpack with a G-series camera in it. I fortunately had all of my dSLR gear with me, but as idyllic as the island is, it's not crime-free.

Secondly, what do you plan to shoot? Why do you need a D5 and 105 f/1.4? Are you shooting portraits at shallow DoF? How often do you see yourself requiring f/1.4 at the 105mm focal length? For what kinds of subjects? It's hard to answer your questions without having a sense of your photography goals (setting aside the principal goal of relaxing and unwinding). It seems to me that taking a massive camera kit with you to Maui while on vacation is a source of more stress, and a potential theft/loss risk. When i was there last, I took a Canon 10D, 17-40f/4L, 70-200 f/4L, and 50mm f/1.4 (shows you how long ago this was... the 10D was pretty state of the art at the time). That kit was, in retrospect, too big. But I still got some images that I am still proud of, from the bamboo forests to the Haleakala crater. I think I could've accomplished the same thing with a Nikon crop camera and a decent third party wide lens, or with a 12-24 Nikon DX lens. If I'd taken my old D3x or 1D Mark II cameras, I might've been disinclined to take them anywhere due to their weight (even though both cameras were a pleasure to use).

Nov 06, 2017 at 04:58 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · DSLR for Maui Vacation

@la puffin - It looks like you've moved past the idea of a Df and, for this usage, I think you made the right call. It is a pretty camera, so you'd look hip as hell if wearing it in images shot on the RX100 or iPhone of course. The files are nice and so is the weight, but it really doesn't lend itself to one-handed use. The power switch, for instance, is a two handed operation. Unless you have a grip of some kind attached, it is a little tricky to wield with one hand. If you were shooting the Df on vacation with just one small prime, I'd support that choice...but not a 24-70/70-200. I had the 35 f/2 glued to the Df most of the time that I owned it this year and it was a good pairing. My gripes with the Df and reasons for letting it go were mostly ergonomic, and also the single memory card, weird battery (en-el14a), and laughable AF in poor light (except the middle point, which is fair).

Strap wise, I'm really fond of the Nikon OEM straps for when I'm shooting just one camera. I have Peak Design anchors on mine so that they can attach to the camera quickly and securely. Strap is soft, unassuming, and works nicely to wrap around the hand when not over a neck or shoulder. Simple is best sometimes.

Nov 06, 2017 at 02:31 PM
davewolfs
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · DSLR for Maui Vacation

There is a nice hike up to a waterfall in the bamboo forest at the Oheo Gulch Park in Hana.

Also if you choose to do the full day hike in and out of Haleakala make sure to travel light eg capture the Sunrise and leave the D5 in the trunk.

If I were doing the trip again today I could easily get by with a 50 and 21.

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:28 PM
la puffin
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · DSLR for Maui Vacation

BSPhotog wrote:
@la puffin@ - It looks like you've moved past the idea of a Df and, for this usage, I think you made the right call. It is a pretty camera, so you'd look hip as hell if wearing it in images shot on the RX100 or iPhone of course. The files are nice and so is the weight, but it really doesn't lend itself to one-handed use.

Thanks. I'd rather carry the extra weight than be looking at controls and fiddling with an unfamiliar body. It would look very cool to walk around with one and a 35/85 combo - you've got my number on that! But a 24-70 or 70-200 hanging off of it is kind of ridiculous. An added benefit of the D5 and a big lens, is that people approach me and ask me questions. It's really easy to move to shooting them then.

BSPhotog wrote:
Strap wise, I'm really fond of the Nikon OEM straps for when I'm shooting just one camera. I have Peak Design anchors on mine so that they can attach to the camera quickly and securely. Strap is soft, unassuming, and works nicely to wrap around the hand when not over a neck or shoulder. Simple is best sometimes.

I'm already thinking about selling my D5s when the next version comes out, so I'm trying to keep all of the incidentals that they come with sealed up. I'm going to try and find one of the 70's style straps with the woven pattern on them.

Nov 06, 2017 at 06:02 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · DSLR for Maui Vacation

la puffin wrote:
An added benefit of the D5 and a big lens, is that people approach me and ask me questions. It's really easy to move to shooting them then.

People in crowded places do that often when I'm carrying my 1942 Leica, 1955 Rolleiflex, or 1983 Nikon F3T, and as a bonus the entire camera bag weighs less than your camera.

Kent in SD

Nov 06, 2017 at 06:45 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · DSLR for Maui Vacation

la puffin wrote:
An added benefit of the D5 and a big lens, is that people approach me and ask me questions. It's really easy to move to shooting them then.

People in crowded places do that often when I'm carrying my 1942 Leica, 1955 Rolleiflex, or 1983 Nikon F3T, and as a bonus the entire camera bag weighs less than your camera.

Kent in SD

Nov 06, 2017 at 06:45 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · DSLR for Maui Vacation

i think I mentioned this on the other thread.. I went to Kauai last year and took tons of gear. That was really stupid. Looking back, all I would bring now is a D810 (mostly for the 2 memory cards feature) and 2 glass max. If I want to *really* make it fun, I'd take the Df and 2 MF lenses. Taking too much gear took the fun away from the trip. We hiked all over Volcanoes Natl Park and all I can remember is how much pain it was to carry that huge backpack. Changing lenses dominated the entire trip and TBH, looking back it was the most retarded idea ever. If I ever get to do that trip again, I promise I will only bring ONE BODY and TWO lenses. That's it! In fact that's what I will be doing for the upcoming Euro trip.

1 body, a fast prime (58 1.4G) and a general zoom like a 24-120 f/4 is all I need. Take minimal gear and enjoy the fresh air, fantastic Poke and friendly people! Enjoy every minute that you are away from hell that is the 405 fwy! Mahalo...

Nov 06, 2017 at 08:25 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · DSLR for Maui Vacation

I go to Kauai almost every year and have a DF and D4S. My 2 cents:

- if you're used to carrying around your D5 and big zooms, just bring the whole combo and use it. when i'm out with my big combo, i use a spider pro waist belt. LOVE it.
- for my last few trips, i just brought my DF with a 58mm. Before, I would bring two primes. Before that, I brought a 24-70 or 24-120. DF and a prime is a nice combo, but I wouldn't buy a DF or any new body just for this trip.
- my funnest pictures have come from a gopro and iphone in a waterproof pouch

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:40 AM
la puffin
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · DSLR for Maui Vacation

BSPhotog wrote:
@la puffin@ - It looks like you've moved past the idea of a Df and, for this usage, I think you made the right call. It is a pretty camera, so you'd look hip as hell if wearing it in images shot on the RX100 or iPhone of course. The files are nice and so is the weight, but it really doesn't lend itself to one-handed use. The power switch, for instance, is a two handed operation. Unless you have a grip of some kind attached, it is a little tricky to wield with one hand. If you were shooting
...Show more

Sorry to redid this up, but I have some questions about the Df. I've decided that I can't risk my personal gear as I have work right after I return and can't risk any damage or loss - I get back late on Friday and shoot a game Sunday morning. I'm also thinking that this might be a better 3rd body for me to carry than the D500 I currently use (and am not happy with).

I read Thom Hogan's review. I'm aware of the Auto ISO/dial quirk, I use M mode with Auto ISO on, so I'm set. I'm not sure about focusing issues as I'll be using AF only (and love that it has BBF). I'm thinking about renting the 35/1.8 and 85/1.8 and being light and small. I can keep the other lens in my purse or pool bag.

I get the power switch.I'm guessing I can leave it on, and it'll go to sleep and I can get by a whole day on a battery. I have a 128 G SDHC, so one card is cool and I won't need a big fast buffer. Is the AF really that bad? I'm used to the D5's AF, but not expecting that and I've never owned a D4 (but didn't like the D4s AF in comparison after using a couple of D5s day in and out).

Is there anything else I should be aware of with a Df and 35 and 85 combo or reasons not to recommend it?

Thanks

Nov 14, 2017 at 02:30 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · DSLR for Maui Vacation

la puffin wrote:
Sorry to redid this up, but I have some questions about the Df. I've decided that I can't risk my personal gear as I have work right after I return and can't risk any damage or loss - I get back late on Friday and shoot a game Sunday morning. I'm also thinking that this might be a better 3rd body for me to carry than the D500 I currently use (and am not happy with).

I read Thom Hogan's review. I'm aware of the Auto ISO/dial quirk, I use M mode with Auto ISO on, so I'm set. I'm
...Show more

The Df will certainly feel more balanced with small 1.8g primes than any heavier glass. The grip for your hand is pretty shallow, so you'll want to make sure there is some kind of strap situation. You can configure the controls so that you adjust aperture and shutter speed with the front and rear command dials like any other Nikon DSLR, instead of the shutter speed dial on top. The front dial is a little funky because it is more of a knob than a dial, but it isn't too bad to get used to.

If you plan to just leave the camera powered on, I would be sure to have at least one extra battery. The Df uses the EN-EL14/a instead of the larger 15 that most other modern prosumer and pro Nikons use. With your batteries, make sure that you have the EN-EL14a, not the EN-EL14. Both will work, but there is a significant difference in longevity.

Autofocus. Yeah, it isn't good. On paper it is the same system as the D600/610 IIRC, but in practice it feels more inept in the dark. In good light, it is just fine...but that's not exactly a huge accomplishment. For the life of me, I can't figure out why they would pair that AF system with a sensor so capable at high ISO. As the light gets lower, the center point is really the only functional point.

It's a good camera and fun to play with and has lovely files, but it can also be frustrating as all hell if you want it to be something it is not. Oddly enough, I replaced mine with a D500 and I am so so much happier. Not many cameras that I'll have an emotional response to, but the D500 is one. I think that the D500 with the Sigma 24-35 f/2 is about the best general purpose walk around camera that I've ever used. I shoot D800s for weddings/portraits/etc., so the feel is similar but it is so much quicker, quieter, more responsive, and the AWB is fantastic.

If you go with the Df for your trip, hopefully you can have some time with it before you go to make sure it is the tool yo want to be using. I think in virtually every aspect the D500 is a superior camera and would be the right choice if there was a better lineup of lenses available that make sense on the DX sensor. D500 with a 24mm f/1.8 or 1.4 and maybe the 58 or 60 macro would get you close to a 35/85 FOV.

Definitely report back with what you decide to do and how the trip went!

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:17 AM
la puffin
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · DSLR for Maui Vacation

BSPhotog - Thank you for taking the time to help me with my questions. The AF seems to be the real issue, but for a vacation, I'm hoping it'll be OK. There's a trade off with most things, so this will be the big one for me. If I was going into outer space, I'd take the D5, but for Maui - at least I'll look cool

Thanks again.

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:53 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · DSLR for Maui Vacation

Use what you have, I am sure the people of Hawaii are using every Nikon DSLR with no complaints.

Nov 14, 2017 at 03:12 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · DSLR for Maui Vacation

I'd take a D500, 16-80, 70-200 and 300/4 PF.

Nov 14, 2017 at 06:15 PM
bocajrs
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · DSLR for Maui Vacation

D750 24120f4 is my main vacation travel kit

Nov 14, 2017 at 07:07 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.