Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Tripod leg angle adjustment stability - I don't get it..

mantice

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod leg angle adjustment stability - I don't get it..

The market is full of tripod options, and many of them are more than decent enough to get the job done.

However, many brands still uses slightly curved stepped apex, and mated with a flat angle adjustment tab. I'm tired of my Feisol's angle stops deform when I accidentally lean on it, and while looking for other mini-tripod, many come with the same design.

I don't get it, flat mated with flat (a line) is always much more stable than curve mated with flat (single point), right? Why don't these tripod manufacturer get it right for such a simple thing...

Nov 05, 2017 at 06:27 AM
peter_n
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod leg angle adjustment stability - I don't get it..

I think its just a design thing. Most older tripods have straight angle stop steps, and Gitzo still does on it's modern tripods except for the bottom one, which is curved. Maybe some industrial designer somewhere looked at the top round base and decided to put a gentle curve on the stops for 'visual harmony'.

You may just be unlucky that you have a tripod with the relevant parts just being enough out of dimensional spec that you have the issue. I've used many different Benro tripods for years and noticed early on that there's only one point of contact on the stops. I've never had a problem with them though.

Nov 05, 2017 at 02:47 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod leg angle adjustment stability - I don't get it..

My Gitzos (pre-2012) and RRS tripods have a contact area that is nice and flat in both dimensions to transfer the forces over the largest area.

EBH

Nov 05, 2017 at 03:41 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod leg angle adjustment stability - I don't get it..

My two old Gitzos leg adjustment steps are flat 'n square as all get out. Same with my two Manfrottos. Never heard of Feisol. Maybe they're trying to be different from everybody else?

Nov 05, 2017 at 05:17 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod leg angle adjustment stability - I don't get it..

Gochugogi wrote:
My two old Gitzos leg adjustment steps are flat 'n square as all get out. Same with my two Manfrottos. Never heard of Feisol. Maybe they're trying to be different from everybody else?

Feisol is from Taiwan IIRC and makes mid-grade tripods that are popular for the value.

EBH

Nov 05, 2017 at 06:10 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripod leg angle adjustment stability - I don't get it..

Gochugogi wrote:
Never heard of Feisol. Maybe they're trying to be different from everybody else?

No, as I said in my post up above (#2) all the Benro tripods I've used have curved steps on the legs. I bet plenty others do too. Gitzo & RRS tripods have straight steps, the RRS tripod's steps look curved but the point at which the angle stop meets the leg is dead straight. A nice bit of design along with a reliable stop.

Nov 05, 2017 at 08:09 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tripod leg angle adjustment stability - I don't get it..

SO? In CNC machining the difference between a flat and a radius is a line or 2 of code. If this bothers you so much, send the offensive tripod to me and I will use it, curves and all.

Nov 05, 2017 at 08:21 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tripod leg angle adjustment stability - I don't get it..

runamuck wrote:
SO? In CNC machining the difference between a flat and a radius is a line or 2 of code. If this bothers you so much, send the offensive tripod to me and I will use it, curves and all.

Do you think it is a software error? I think it is a poor design choice.

EBH

Nov 05, 2017 at 08:50 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tripod leg angle adjustment stability - I don't get it..

Probably a choice of form over function .

Nov 05, 2017 at 10:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mantice

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tripod leg angle adjustment stability - I don't get it..

I have personal assumption about the flat Gitzo/RRS design does help torsion rigidity.

Also, one observation is that when both RRS (TFC-14) and Feisol were at its lowest setting (spread out) on the ground, I can press Feisol down gradually, while RRS is dead solid.

So...I think it does help, function wise. Currently most of the mid-value and lower tripod options I had handled is without flat contact surface, and I would love to have the option of a better design as backups, for tossing around hard without a sweat of breaking main tripod.

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:39 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tripod leg angle adjustment stability - I don't get it..

Hmmm... I've never noticed any issue with my Feisol CT-3442.

But then again, I don't sleep on it either. So far I've only used it to hold the weight of my camera and lenses such as my 5DII+1.4X+100-400 plus my fully loaded backpack hanging off it. I've not seen any deformation whatsoever.
It's been a fantastic little set of legs so far.

I'll keep my eye out for this design flaw though. Just to be safe.

Nov 07, 2017 at 06:26 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tripod leg angle adjustment stability - I don't get it..

I've never had a problem either with the four Benro tripods I've used. The OP may have an earlier production Feisol for which there were some reports of the apex fracturing. None recently though.

Nov 07, 2017 at 06:51 PM
mantice

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tripod leg angle adjustment stability - I don't get it..

Thanks for the comments

I feel like owing everyone here some details including photos, so below is some information about how I use Feisol CT-3342 and what phenomenon differ from RRS/Gitzo. BTW by no mean I feel Feisol is a bad product; it was my intended use, which Feisol's performance cannot provide.

*I use gimbal with 500/4 & body (oops, not its intended use, but hey, its within weight limit), often at its lowest angle (it is at the widest spread where I found that the whole tripod can gradually press down, without spring back to its original height, indicate some metal could be bent at fraction of millimeter scale).
    *Another picture is the angle adjustment tab, its already dig down from a point to a line. (not sure if its a good thing or not).
    *The bottom tab is support by stainless rod, not sure if this will cause problem in the long run as well.

In conclusion, I will buy a Feisol upgrade if they incorporate RRS/Gitzo style leg lock, since its a simpler design with a chunk of metal tuck between the apex and the leg (at least all RRS/Gitzo I tried are dead solid at its widest angle settings - but without Feisol price)

Photo1
Photo2
Photo3

Nov 08, 2017 at 01:27 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tripod leg angle adjustment stability - I don't get it..

In a sense its a case of you get what you pay for. My Benro travel tripod is in it's 7th year of sterling service, and all the lower steps are similar to the one pictured below. The angle stop is absolutely flat on this tripod. Because the step is curved the paint has been worn off in the middle but that's all that's happened. There's no degradation of the metal, just the paint. It looks terrible yet it works fine, but this is what happens to cheaper products over time.

Nov 08, 2017 at 08:25 PM
mantice

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tripod leg angle adjustment stability - I don't get it..

peter_n wrote:
In a sense its a case of you get what you pay for...

BTW that's a much beefier angle stop!

Nov 09, 2017 at 10:58 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tripod leg angle adjustment stability - I don't get it..

So for really big bucks you get a straight step rather than curved. Who woulda thunk it? A whole 'nuther earth shattering event. Now my tripods are subpar on account of the curve. Stay tuned for the next breathtaking episode involving the stickiness of the rubber feet on tripods!!!

Nov 15, 2017 at 01:04 AM
mantice

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tripod leg angle adjustment stability - I don't get it..

I agree runamuck:

I'm in the mfg. industry and the world has been changing so rapidly to a point that if you're not retired yet, you either need to adopt "change" or to be outdated, a harsh fact for everyone.

If there's technical advantage of using straight, there won't be long until every mid-low class tripod all adopt such change, and become a norm. I will be expected to pay RRS/Gitzo for such feature 10 years ago, but not 2017 and beyond.

Nov 15, 2017 at 01:48 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password