Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Do Sony A-mount lenses make any noise?

windhorse

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do Sony A-mount lenses make any noise?

I was disappointed to discover my Canon 24 1.8 L lens makes a little noise when auto-focussing via the Metabones adapter on the A7RII - not much but enough to be picked up by any camera-mounted microphone that is a problem while recording video.

Do A-mount lenses mounted via the Sony LA-EA3 adapter also do this or are they completely silent?

NB I have changed the subject and changed this post after Geo was kind enough to point out below that the noise I am concerned about is not coming from my Metabones lens adapter as I had thought but from my lens... lots to learn.

Edited on Nov 04, 2017 at 11:35 PM · View previous versions

Nov 04, 2017 at 11:04 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do Sony A-mount lenses make any noise?

windhorse wrote:
I was disappointed to discover the Metabones adapter makes a little noise when auto-focussing Canon lenses on the A7RII - not much but enough to be picked up by any camera-mounted microphone that is a problem while recording video. Does the Sony LA-EA3 adapter also do this or is it completely silent?

Both the Metabones adapter and Sony LA-EA3 do not have any built-in AF motor. The noise that gets picked up during the AF process is coming from the lens being used. Some lenses are louder than others.

Nov 04, 2017 at 11:11 PM
windhorse

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do Sony A-mount lenses make any noise?

Thanks for the pointer Geo, thatīs great to know! Following your lead I had a closer look at the Metabones website and found this description of the problem:

"Actuations of the electromagnetic aperture diaphragm and/or the focus motor of the lens result in noises which may be picked up by the camera's internal microphone during video recording. Use of an appropriately placed external microphone is required for video work."

My Sony FE and E-mount lenses make no AF noise that I can hear.

I have only one Canon lens and that is a the 24mm 1.8 L that is not exactly Canonīs latest and greatest but serves me very well for still photography though is not useable for video due to the aforementioned problem. Perhaps other Canon lenses make no noise or do all of them make some noise even if it is just a little?

Do some Sony A-mount lenses also make some noise?

Nov 04, 2017 at 11:28 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do Sony A-mount lenses make any noise?

Yes, both A- and EF-mount lenses can make noise via the aperture blades and/or motor. Especially A-mount lenses that use the aperture lever. Very audible when using silent shooting. E-mount lenses use much quieter motors for AF and aperture, though not all are completely silent.

Nov 04, 2017 at 11:38 PM
trogdon
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do Sony A-mount lenses make any noise?

Yep A mount lenses get loud when not shot wide open, the aperture lever is mechanical and will make a fair bit of noise. You'd be better off with a Batis 25mm f2 if you want discreet shooting

Nov 04, 2017 at 11:45 PM
windhorse

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do Sony A-mount lenses make any noise?

Thanks, I did get a Batis 25mm and am very happy with it.

Mar 15, 2018 at 04:04 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.