New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Need a larger "hiking" bag for overnighters

kaitlyn2004
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need a larger "hiking" bag for overnighters

I've currently got an f-stop loka (37L) which I love, but it would be quite a squeeze for an overnight hiking adventure. I was looking at the Tilopa, but I worry it's not bigger-enough. Then you jump to the Sukha, which I think would suit me well but you jump way up in size and weight.

At that size, I really wonder if it makes sense to get a Sukha vs a traditional hiking bag and fitting my ICU in it or otherwise carrying my camera gear. What do you guys think? I've never owned a bag this large, nor have I gone on overnight hiking with camera gear, for that matter.

Nov 04, 2017 at 11:03 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need a larger "hiking" bag for overnighters

a few questions. How far you going, how much photo gear you have, and how small is your gear?

You don't need that much gear for overnight. Also, how often you going to be using it? I could give you tons of options, but if this is a rare use item, might be better to stick with what you have.

Nov 04, 2017 at 11:13 PM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need a larger "hiking" bag for overnighters

Dustin Gent wrote:
a few questions. How far you going, how much photo gear you have, and how small is your gear?

You don't need that much gear for overnight. Also, how often you going to be using it? I could give you tons of options, but if this is a rare use item, might be better to stick with what you have.

I do consider them (mostly) "photo adventures" rather than "hiking adventures", so the camera stuff is fairly important.

I'm currently traveling long-term, so what I have with me is:

- Canon 5D Mark IV
- Canon 16-35 F4L IS
- Canon 70-200 F4L IS
- LEE filter kit / holder pouch
- Depending, may also have DJI Mavic + controller + 2 spare batteries
- Depending, may also have GoPro + 3-way mount
- CF tripod (~20" folded, currently strap it to side of bag)

Distances will vary, but thinking MOST of my hikes would be staying in huts rather than camping - so may never need tent+related accessories.

Honestly, don't think I'd be doing it THAT much. Also might be doing more 1-nighters than multi-day trips (but definitely at least one multi-day trek!). It's a little hard for me to say upfront whether I wouldn't use it much, or it would actually encourage me to do it more often. I certainl like the idea of getting further off the beaten path both to explore and visit less-accessed places for photos.

Nov 04, 2017 at 11:17 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need a larger "hiking" bag for overnighters

So clothing related items would probably take up the rest of your space? If that is the case, I would say a 50 liter may be the best option. Now which one, you will need to try. You have a Canadian version of REI, right? Mountain Sports CO-op or something? I would head there, bring your main gear with you, get measured and see what packs work. Fit will be vastly different between the brands and even the models.

Nov 05, 2017 at 01:13 PM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need a larger "hiking" bag for overnighters

Dustin Gent wrote:
So clothing related items would probably take up the rest of your space? If that is the case, I would say a 50 liter may be the best option. Now which one, you will need to try. You have a Canadian version of REI, right? Mountain Sports CO-op or something? I would head there, bring your main gear with you, get measured and see what packs work. Fit will be vastly different between the brands and even the models.

See that would be a good idea except I'm currently traveling! Am in New Zealand, they have outdoor gear but not as much selection and prices are higher.

Then if something like f-stop bags, would be buying sight unseen (though again I already have a Look so good idea about the bag)

Nov 05, 2017 at 01:44 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need a larger "hiking" bag for overnighters

If you are covering miles then this is my solution - see link below - (I'll be using it for 3-4 weeks in Kyrgyzstan next Spring) also for full Sony kit and Mavic Pro. Insert is one of the cheap Chinese inserts (US$10-20) which I also use for my Mavic Pro (just returned from 6 weeks in Europe with the Mavic packed in one of those Chinese inserts).

I now use the 60L over the 45L because there seems virtually zero difference in the bags - the 60L just being an inch or so taller but both can fit easily on airplane overheads and I've never been queried.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1366149/0?nc=1

Alternatively I also use the brilliant Mindshift Rotation but I doubt that has enough room for more than a weekend but is overall a better photography based hiking bag than the f-stops.
https://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/rotation180-horizon

Nov 05, 2017 at 02:31 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need a larger "hiking" bag for overnighters

I am heading for a long weekend this Friday in the Bristlecone area (2 day off-trail) with a Gregory Targhee 45.

A mid-sized insert will carry a D800, 14-24, 50, 80-400 and 3 batteries.
A gallon of water in a flat plastic jug that fits close to my back
Spare midlayer, rainshell and rations in the pack - all other clothes on my back
Pad, bivvy, sleeping bag, small tarp strapped to left/right/bottom of pack
Tripod on the back
Trekking poles in hand

It is a bit of a clumsy fit but it works. 60L pack would work better, but with some creative packing skills the 45L will do too. The Mamut Trion Pro has similar capabilities. If I were to opt for a 60L pack I would go with a Gregory.

Nov 08, 2017 at 01:17 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.